Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladder

• 23-08-2011 8:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I have a problem. I want to buy a ladder. I need it to be as light and as cheap as possible as i wont be using it a lot.

I need it to get to the apex of my roof which at an estimate is about 30 ft up

10 Ft down stairs
    8 foot upstair
    10 ft attic.

Thing is. I dont know what to look for.

I dont know the best place to go

and i dont know how much is a good price

Any tips/ suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I want to buy a ladder. I need it to be as light and as cheap as possible as i wont be using it a lot.

I need it to get to the apex of my roof which at an estimate is about 30 ft up
    Have you developed a deathwish? A good ladder is for life.

Go to Stradbally ladders, pay a little extra and get a custom made ladder, in a heavier gauge than what they offer you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You could try valentine ladders in Balymount. When I worked in Sam Hire they bought all their ladders and access platforms from Valentine. They do some good aluminium ladders

http://www.valentineladders.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You could try valentine ladders in Balymount. When I worked in Sam Hire they bought all their ladders and access platforms from Valentine. They do some good aluminium ladders

http://www.valentineladders.ie/

I actually knew one of them very well. Any other suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

Defo stradbally ladders...then anchor 2 d-rings into the wall roughly 1 meter up and 3 meters apart and get 2 ratchet straps to secure the ladder..30 ft is a bit to high not to have a ladder tied off securely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Defo stradbally ladders...then anchor 2 d-rings into the wall roughly 1 meter up and 3 meters apart and get 2 ratchet straps to secure the ladder..30 ft is a bit to high not to have a ladder tied off securely

The only reason i want a 30 ft ladder is that is an estimate of the height to my apex and i can never figure why people dont buy ladders to get right to the top of there house when buying them. 90% of the time it will only be used to wash windows but the gutters at the apex can blow off in high winds so might as well invest the money right.

Thanks again folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

anyone know how much a standard Aluminium 2 section ladder would come in at?
    or if you can get feet from valentine ladders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

About time that ladder anchor points were included in our building regs. These could be fitted during building and be available for painting, gutter cleaning, satelite instalation, curtain fitting, ect.

I was in a job yesterday where I insisted that I needed two people(that I trusted) holding the ladder. Customer was only worried about damage to paintwork/tiles until she got the bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Merch wrote: »
    anyone know how much a standard Aluminium 2 section ladder would come in at?
    or if you can get feet from valentine ladders?

69 euro recently from Woodies for an Abbu 16 foot 2 piece alloy ladder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

30 feet up would have me getting an MEWP or a scaffold platform to work safely.

damn, i just bought a second hand one for a little less than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

paddy147 wrote: »
    30 feet up would have me getting an MEWP or a scaffold platform to work safely.
    I agree. Ladders are for accessing a higher level, not working from.
    Better safe than sorry. (or dead) A neighbour died a few years ago after falling from a 10ft ladder while pulling ivy from around the gutters on his house. For the sake of all the times you'd have to access the highest point of your house you'd be wiser hire a cherrypicker.

red sean wrote: »
    Better safe than sorry. (or dead) A neighbour died a few years ago after falling from a 10ft ladder while pulling ivy from around the gutters on his house. For the sake of all the times you'd have to access the highest point of your house you'd be wiser hire a cherrypicker.

Whats the height of the eaves of a standardish house? I cant understand how guys doing Upvc soffits and gutters can do that from a ladder, not safe at all, also I'm not convinced of the quality of work that can be done while balancing on a ladder.
    I've heard of serious injuries from one story buildings.
    I plan on sticking some recessed plugs around the house on the ground to secure the ladder for cleaning the gutters, just dont trust some people to foot the ladder safely/right.

Any ideas where i can get something like that cheapish, I looked in a locksmiths and they had some that were 80 euro a pop, they were too big an d I was looking for something I saw years ago when working in a supermarket, they had a spring loaded blank that you could plug a metal loop into, but that had a flush surface when not in use to secure shutters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

red sean wrote: »
    Could'nt agree more. How often do we need to go to the apex of our houses? Less than half a dozen times in a lifetime. And this request is coming from a Moderator of a trade forum:rolleyes:. On H & S grounds, nobody in their right mind would use a ladder to work at a 9m height. Insurance companies shy away from quoting for works above 5m in height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I plan on sticking some recessed plugs around the house on the ground to secure the ladder for cleaning the gutters, just dont trust some people to foot the ladder safely/right.
    There are legs you can get to attach that come in from behind the bottom of the ladder at approx 60° to stabilise it. Better I'd say than some clown dozing off out of boredom!
    Also very important to secure the top as well.

Advertisement