Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O'Dea takes €54,000 golden handshake

• 23-08-2011 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Interesting how Willie O'Dea received €54,000 step down money after he was forced to step down in disgrace. He failed mention that when he was whining about loosing his job and begging for sympathy from the gullible.

He then took another €this year on top of his TD salary!

According to this mornings Irish Examiner....

"SENIOR Fianna Fáil TDs have defied an order by party leader Micheál Martin not to accept ministerial severance payments on top of their TD salaries.

Limerick City TD Willie O’Dea has taken €8,500 in “step-down” payments this year, on top of his Dáil salary of €92,000.

He claimed €54,000 in golden handshake payments in 2010 after being forced to resign as minister for defence in February 2010.

Under Oireachtas rules, he was entitled to 75% of his ministerial salary for six months after stepping down — up to August 2010.

He was entitled to half the salary up until this month and will be allowed to claim 25% of the salary between now and Christmas."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ff-tds-pocket-cabinet-pay-offs-165164.html

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Watchingthepols, two questions for you.

Why have you started six threads about Willie O'Dea in this forum in the last 18 months? Why have 13 out of your 14 posts on this forum, and over 50% of your 89 posts on this site, been about the same man?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭watchingthepols

Why have you started six threads about Willie O'Dea in this forum in the last 18 months? Why have 13 out of your 14 posts on this forum, and over 50% of your 89 posts on this site, been about the same man?

50% ? I thought it was higher than that :)

Simple answer is because living here in Limerick I see what Willie O'Dea style politics has done to our city. IMHO it's corrosive.

We have had 23 years of political dominance by O'Dea & his circle with devastating results. So, I am taking every opportunity to highlight what he is at. In this case whining about "loosing" his job while in reality pocketing around €60,000 in "step down" compensation so far.

I am very encouraged that his first preference vote has dropped from around 19,500 to around 7,000. So it looks like Limerick voters are starting to wake up.

Also, O'Dea & supporters have always claimed that he takes little in the way of expenses. The facts don't support that claim but it has been said so often that many people actually believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

In fairness to WTP, He/she has provided a link to back up what he has said.

The "politician", and I use the word loosely, in question has a track record of saying one thing to the media and the opposite being proven to be true when the actual facts come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm no great fan of Willie but the money he received was all above board and he was entitiled to it.

I'm sure if your employer left you short you'd crib that you didn't get what you're entitled to.

phog wrote: »
    I'm no great fan of Willie but the money he received was all above board and he was entitiled to it.

I'm sure if your employer left you short you'd crib that you didn't get what you're entitled to.

Pretty sure that in most other jobs if you were found to have lied in court and were found to have made libelous comments which were proven so in court about another person in the same form of employment to you thatyou would not only lose you job without any golden handshakes but that you would be looking at getting a criminal record as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Perhaps his comment that "I made a mistake and I paid for it" should be revised to "I made a mistake and I was paid for it".

Fianna Fail leader Micheál Martin............."I have informed colleagues that those who are elected to the 31st Dáil will be required to waive their ministerial severance payments.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

When the hell are people gonna stop voting for him???

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    When the hell are people gonna stop voting for him???

Ain't that the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Personally I think it is good that TD's are accountable so I would say fair play WTP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Simple answer is because living here in Limerick I see what Willie O'Dea style politics has done to our city. IMHO it's corrosive.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    In fairness to WTP, He/she has provided a link to back up what he has said.
    Personally I think it is good that TD's are accountable so I would say fair play WTP.

Good points! Fair enough. Maybe it'd be best to have one big "Willie O'Dea in the Media" thread for these stories, instead of a small one every few months with less replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Good points! Fair enough. Maybe it'd be best to have one big "Willie.

You can sing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Pretty sure that in most other jobs if you were found to have lied in court and were found to have made libelous comments which were proven so in court about another person in the same form of employment to you thatyou would not only lose you job without any golden handshakes but that you would be looking at getting a criminal record as well.

Valid enough point but why didnt the paymaster (whoever that is) refuse to pay the money if they were legally entitled to do so?

Fianna Fail leader Micheál Martin............."I have informed colleagues that those who are elected to the 31st Dáil will be required to waive their ministerial severance payments.”

He also asked certain members of the party not to run for the senate, hardly criminal to against such a request. BTW, Martin is not O'Dea's employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

It's spelled "lose" not "loose".

Valid enough point but why didnt the paymaster (whoever that is) refuse to pay the money if they were legally entitled to do so?

Well as you and I well know, there are different moral and legal standards in this country depending on your status.

It would seem the higher up you are, the lower morals seem to come, and certainly the higher up you are the law has less of a grip.

Not telling the truth in court or making libelous comments about a peer (comments that were ruled as such by a court) would have had a bigger impact on a regular joe soap. In fact not telling the truth under oath and then admitting to that would incur a criminal record for most members of the public and some have even gotten jail time for it, like the Limerick man who changed his statement against a well known crime gang around the same time as poor Willie mixed up his "facts".

Willie tried to blame the Limerick leader journo of fabricating the facts until the journo was able to produce a recording of the interview, then tried to blame the gardai claiming a garda gave him the info but was unable to remember which garda:rolleyes:, and also changed the story which he swore under oath was true in a court of law. And this man is meant to be qualified in the legal profession.

The Limerick man who gave evidence in court against the gang but who then changed his story due to being threatened by the gang (and he admitted he was changing his statement due to this). What happened to him for changing
    what he wore to in court? He goit sentenced to a year in prison. Willie got to whinge to the media with claims of how he had no idea why he lost his ministerial post and got a nice golden handshake for his troubles.

All are equal in the eyes of the law it gets said, but some seem to be more equal than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It's spelled "lose" not "loose".

Now that changes everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

The Limerick man who gave evidence in court against the gang but who then changed his story due to being threatened by the gang (and he admitted he was changing his statement due to this). What happened to him for changing
    what he wore to in court? He goit sentenced to a year in prison. Willie got to whinge to the media with claims of how he had no idea why he lost his ministerial post and got a nice golden handshake for his troubles.

All are equal in the eyes of the law it gets said, but some seem to be more equal than others.

I can't understand how nothing ever happened to Willie over this myself. He must have a neck like a jockies b~~~~~ to show his face in public. Fine he was meant to be a good guy to go to for small one off jobs but he's done nothing for this city that I know of. I got great pleasure about a year ago telling him where to go when I met him at my front door.

Fair play, sham him all you want on this forum is my opinion!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Good man Willie. Good man yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I can't understand how nothing ever happened to Willie over this myself. He must have a neck like a jockies b~~~~~ to show his face in public. Fine he was meant to be a good guy to go to for small one off jobs but he's done nothing for this city that I know of. I got great pleasure about a year ago telling him where to go when I met him at my front door.

Fair play, sham him all you want on this forum is my opinion!!!!!!!

Not that I would have been voting for him anyway but when I opened the door he asked 'if Mammy, Daddy or any other voters were home that he could have a chat with'. I was 19 at the time.....w*nker!

From the Irish Independent :)

odea_lifestyle.jpg

Their take on the Willie O'Dea golden handshake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Delighted.

Though it pales in comparison to what the Sunday Times published about Buurtie today.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

odea_lifestyle.jpg

And we're surprised by this when a trained Solicitor lied to the Court and committed perjury....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

odea_lifestyle.jpg

Does he still write for it's sister paper The Sunday Independent?

Advertisement