Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letters to the US using An Post

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I recently had to send a few letters to the US using An Post and have found their services very untrustworthy. I sent two in February, both have still not been received and another two in late July, both also unreceived as of yet. The only way I seem to get any results is to send the post registered, but that costs 5 euro every time.
    Has anybody else had any issues with this or am I just very unfortunate? I've heard of other people complaining but just wondering how common it is.
    What are the alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I send the occasional letter, card and parcel to the US and have not had any problems. Are you careful with the zip codes and do you put a return address?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Botched_Job

I may not have been overly careful with the first two, but I made sure with the rest that the address was right. And I haven't had any problems with the address on the registered post.
    I always put a return address.
    I admit that for one or two of them there is probably some major brain fart on my part, but for it to happen four times? I'd like to think I'm not that bad :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

looksee wrote: »
    I send the occasional letter, card and parcel to the US and have not had any problems. Are you careful with the zip codes and do you put a return address?

I've sent a few letters, cards and parcels through An post and have never had any problems either, always seem to be quick at delivery too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Problem's more likely to have been at USPS end imo.

If your address is incomplete, expect trouble.

You should use the zip AND 4 digit specific house/apartment code after it

eg

Joe Bloggs
    9034 61st Ave
    Bloom Park
    NY 11374-2316
    United States

hmm, I'll definitely try that specific postcode thing in the future, thanks for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I have had 4 letters this year not show up and I have used the correct zipcode and extension. It is a pain now having to send semi important registered as each cost a fiver, not sure what the solution is.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

I have had 4 letters this year not show up and I have used the correct zipcode and extension. It is a pain now having to send semi important registered as each cost a fiver, not sure what the solution is.

hmm, I see that your location is Galway, I wonder if the problem is closer to home as all mine were sent from different places around Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

As someone who comes and goes from the US all the time and has a fiance over there and many friends the only way to send mail and be guaranteed to get there is send it by courier post. USPS are awful in some areas and fantastic in others. Hit and miss with them from state to state.

A standard letter will go through many depots before ever getting to your friends or family over there. So easy for that letter or standard envelope to go missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I had problems earlier this year with an important letter that I sent by Registered Post to the US. It never arrived at the destination, despite logging calls with both An Post and the USPS. At that time, the person I spoke to at USPS said that they had a huge backlog of international mail at the airport (think he said JFK) and it could be caught up in that.

So I don't think it's the fault of An Post, more likely to be the USPS.

seems we're not the only one's having trouble

• Advertisement
Advertisement