Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good breakfast cereals?

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

whats a good low fat cereal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Most commercial cereals are not particularly high in fat, but massively high in sugar.

If you mean healthy, I think porridge or a good quality muesli are the only breakfast foods eaten in a bowl with milk that can be described as healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Porridge gives me awful heartburn.

Shredded wheat is a fairly healthy cereal, there's no added sugar at least.

I'm more likely to eat cereal for supper rather than breakfast. :pac: I like to spread a little raspberry jam on the biscuits before I pour on the milk (ice cold, whole). Yummy. The sweetness of raspberry jam seems to go a lot further than plain old sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Porridge gives me awful heartburn.

Shredded wheat is a fairly healthy cereal, there's no added sugar at least.

I'm more likely to eat cereal for supper rather than breakfast. :pac: I like to spread a little raspberry jam on the biscuits before I pour on the milk (ice cold, whole). Yummy. The sweetness of raspberry jam seems to go a lot further than plain old sugar.
    "Shredded wheat is god, there's no added sugar.

I like to add sugar to mine"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mellor - If you have a point to make then make it. Taking another poster's words & rephrasing them as you have is insulting & unnecessary.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gal44 wrote: »
    whats a good low fat cereal?
    Any reason it has to be low fat?, or do you want low calorie? I was eating very oily oat pancakes for breakfast for a while, cooked in coconut oil, very filling.
    FTGFOP wrote: »
    The sweetness of raspberry jam seems to go a lot further than plain old sugar.
    This is a good point, some sugars taste sweeter than table sugar (sucrose) so you can add less to get the same sweetness level. Like honey is sweeter, or glucose is less sweet so it is used in energy drinks which would otherwise be sickly sweet (and glucose is absorbed faster).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor - If you have a point to make then make it. Taking another poster's words & rephrasing them as you have is insulting & unnecessary.

tHB
    I wasn't insulting him.

He cited that no added sugar was a benefit of shredded wheat. I was pointing out that the benefit (if any) is wiped out when you add jam.

I'm not saying there is anythign wrong with adding jam, and it probably goes further than sugar liek he suggested. This is more likely to the fruit flavour on top on plain sweetness. And what Rubadub said is also true, some sugars are sweeter table sugar. How much sweeter jam is would depend on the fruit to added sugar ratio. More fruit means more fructose and less sucralose.

But "no added sugar" is just a marketing ploy, jsut like "fat free" in isolation it means nothing.

Advertisement