Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mailing cheque directly to bank?

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Story is that my gf has a cheque here from an Irish organisation (we're in mainland europe), but she has an Irish bank acc with AIB. For some reason, banks here charge a hefty % to accept cheques as they no longer officially support them so depositing it here is pretty much out of the question.

She was thinking about just mailing it to a friend in Ireland and getting them to go in and deposit it, but what I was wondering, is can we mail her cheque directly to her AIB branch in Ireland? Has anyone done anything like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Can't see why not. Send it to the bank to be lodged directly into the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I do it all the time. Just either enclose a note with the account details or write them on the back of the cheque. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's an Irish cheque (i.e. drawn on an Irish bank) and it's made payable to someone who has an a/c in an Irish bank then definitely the best solution is to lodge it either by mailing it to your gf's bank or getting a friend to lodge it, rather than have it spend a few weeks winding it's expensive way through the European banking system.

If you get a friend to lodge it then at least you have the lodgement stub as evidence, if you post it to the branch and it gets lost you have no comeback so I'd get a friend to lodge it.

Before anyone suggests sending it in a registered letter, that will probably take a fortnight to reach the bank and they could still lose it. Registering a letter more or less guarantees that it will be delivered, it doesn't guarantee what happens after it's delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Thanks lads, much appreciated! :)

@coylemj: Yeah that's true about the bank losing it, will have to weigh up the options of who is more likely to misplace it, the bank or the friend ;)

Advertisement