Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two hard drives

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hello guys,

I recently installed another hard drive on my pc.

The old one was about 40gb and the new is 320gb.

The old one is still connected to my pc operating on windows 7.

I installed windows 7 on the new so it seems that the new hard drive has taken over my pc so right now i cant use any of my old files without go into my computer clicking on the old haard drive etc.

my question is this how do i rectify this mess that is I want to use my old hard drive files, have the same old setting, old desktop and still be able to use the new hard drive to save stuff.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

can anyone help a pc noob with a raid set up as well.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

why did you install windows on the new hdd if you only want to use it as storage? boot into the old hdd and format the new 1 again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

you can't raid 2 drives that are different in make and size. they should be identical.

thanksm for the reply.

the old is has a small capacity so i want to use the new one for storage as you said.

but the thing is that the pc doesn't recognize automatically for storage as I would like.

At the moment there's 2gb left i want to install a game of 4gb its saying that there's so space left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Your best bet is to clone your current OS onto the new drive, you should be able to go forward from there, Best off forgetting about that 40 Gig drive altogether, perhaps use it for backups.

• Advertisement

how will I clone it ?

will cloning it mean that I have all the programs automatically installed like on my old hard drive ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I cant do any of them.

They are not in simple english.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Might be a slight noob here but can you not have the starting order changed to boot your original harddrive first, I know you have to do this when you are installing a seperate os, and then reformatt the new hdd?

okay guys so i watched a tutorial fro YouTube and I used hd clone to clone the 40gb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqnc7Ajshzo&feature=related

it worked but when i removed the old HD and i connected the new one it still gives me the option of which to boot from.

how can i remove it ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Advertisement