Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get non-adjacent grant rate....

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,

Just found out yesterday, that as I am a mature independent applicant for the grant, and will be moving to Galway for college, I will only get the adjacent grant rate. So therefore will only be getting €1250...

Basically, I had banked on getting the full grant, for the last year I have been doing voluntary work (not getting dole) so have no savings and even with full grant will have to get a loan to survive.

With only adjacent grant rate, I don't know if I can afford to go, it's so unfair. How can I need less money because I'm independent?!

So anyway, I'm thinking of keeping a base in Cork, just so I can get non-adjacent rate. Is this a plausible way to get the non-adjacent rate?

Any advice would be very welcome...... Slightly panicked at this stage!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Isn't adjacent/non-adjacent grant rate based on your distance from the college and not your income?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pixieskimo

Yeah distance from college, which as I am living in Cork is currently over 45km, but as I will be moving to Galway for college, I will only be entitled to the adjacent rate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Oh right. So they are assessing you as having a permanent Galway address for grant purposes. Well if you can keep your Cork address it would make sense to in these circumstances.

Yep that's what I was thinking... I'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

pixieskimo wrote: »
    Yeah distance from college, which as I am living in Cork is currently over 45km, but as I will be moving to Galway for college, I will only be entitled to the adjacent rate :(

The distance should be taken from your normal residence not where you intend to live to be beside college so they should be using your Cork address not Galway to decide if you are entitled (which you should be) to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

if your sole income is below 22,700 for the year 2010, and you are an independant mature candidate, then you will qualify most likely for the special top-up rate of the maintenance grant, which is approx. 2500 per year

although my income was below 22,000, I wasn't getting the dole (because I was volunteering, therefore "unavailable" to work) so don't think I can get that special top up?

I thought you had to have been on the dole??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ripo

The distance should be taken from your normal residence not where you intend to live to be beside college so they should be using your Cork address not Galway to decide if you are entitled (which you should be) to it.

Yeah i think this is the right answer your looking for. your home address is your permanent address, (cork) your academic address does not matter,

You may need to provide a letter showing your living actually in cork

a utility bill
    b bank statement
    c social welfare letter/statement

On veryt strange situations you may have to prove its not your family home, in cork as you could be listed as independent student.

they may ask

proof of address of your parents... I heard of it happening...

but if that's the case just rent a cheap room in cork somewhere... you still gain with the grant.

Advertisement