Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the cheapest way of sending money from UK to Irish university's bank account?

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am a UK student due to start studying in Ireland this year.

My UK bank is charging me £25 for sending money( for accommodation and tution fees) to the Irish university's bank account . Does any one know of a cheaper method of sending the funds? (My bank doesnt do Bankers draft, and i want to avoid paying by credit card as the university charges a 2% fee for credit cards)

Also, I will be paying for my own living expenses for most of the first year. My funds are obviously in GBP sterling. Are there any UK students that can tell me waht is the cheapest way of spending in Ireland? I.e. any debit/credit cards with good exchange rate and foreign exchange/commission fees, or shall i stick to cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I am a UK student due to start studying in Ireland this year.

My UK bank is charging me £25 for sending money( for accommodation and tution fees) to the Irish university's bank account . Does any one know of a cheaper method of sending the funds? (My bank doesnt do Bankers draft, and i want to avoid paying by credit card as the university charges a 2% fee for credit cards)

Also, I will be paying for my own living expenses for most of the first year. My funds are obviously in GBP sterling. Are there any UK students that can tell me waht is the cheapest way of spending in Ireland? I.e. any debit/credit cards with good exchange rate and foreign exchange/commission fees, or shall i stick to cash?

A lot of people go through paypal. You send the money to someone in Ireland via paypal and they can then pay the university. I'll PM you my email address

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Nationwide building society used to be the bank for this. Up until last year it was cheaper to use a UK debit card through nationwide in ATMs in Ireland than to use Irish cards :confused:But there's a £1 charge plus 2% of the amount now.

However, AFAIK, a new bank, Metro offers free overseas withdrawals. Santander do too, but only if you pay in a certain amount each month. Alternatively, take it out over there and exchange to € in M&S or at one of the exchange bureaus up North for the best rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stressedmed

Thanks for that. I will check them out. Any idea what their exhange rates are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Widget

My daughter is in Limerick. We have used prepaid EURO Mastercard from www.fairfx.com. If you use it as a credit card no charges, £1.50 from a ATM machine. You can load it via internet banking which usually only takes 30 mins to get the card loaded. Also if you use it on Ryanair no transaction charges. I got the card through the moneysupermarket.com site and there was no set up fee.

Advertisement