Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water to tank for heating

• 23-08-2011 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

I picked up my van last weekend and very happy with everything. I've had a good look around and everything is in good working order. There's one thing i'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with.

I have a fresh water tank underneath the van. It then has another smaller tank inside the van which is for hot water, heated by gas. I can get the gas to light but i'm not sure if there is water in the tank, in fact i'm pretty sure there isn't. My question is, how do I fill this tank? I'm assuming it draws supply from the fresh tank but i'm not sure how. The small tank has a valve at the top to release air if it is airlocked. Can anyone tell me what to do to draw water into the tank?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Hi what kind of system is it?

Most of us will have the Truma boilers. With this to make sure there is water in the boiler your run your hot tap until it stops spluttering. Once you have done that there is water in the boiler.

Your system sounds a bit different to mine but my guess is that the procedure would be the same i.e. run the hot tap (or the mixer tap all the way to hot).

Oh and BTW congrats - enjoy. We are approaching out six month anniversary as campervan owners and loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Agreed - run the hot tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

Thanks guys. I don't have a Truma model, I can't remember the make but it's some acronym like ABG or ATG or something like that. Anyway, so you think running the hot tap until there is no spluttering will mean that the tank is full? I just want to make double sure because if I fire the gas for hot water and there's no water I could cause a serious problem! I assume I may also have to fiddle with the air release valve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Thanks guys. I don't have a Truma model, I can't remember the make but it's some acronym like ABG or ATG or something like that. Anyway, so you think running the hot tap until there is no spluttering will mean that the tank is full? I just want to make double sure because if I fire the gas for hot water and there's no water I could cause a serious problem! I assume I may also have to fiddle with the air release valve.

Any photos to let us see what boiler model might be ?

T650 wrote: »
    Any photos to let us see what boiler model might be ?

I'll try what you suggested tonight and if it doesn't work i'll get some photos and post them up.

• Advertisement

Update: got the heater going last night. Filled up the fresh water tank until the overflow started spilling. Then I ran the hot tap and after much spluttering and pumping I figured the heating tank was full. The gas lit and in about ten mins I had warm water!

Now I just need to sterilise the tank and all the lines and i'm ready for road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

is the heater mounted up on the wall? and you can see a little pilot light in it? Often known as a "Geyser" .

Advertisement