Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree problems

Options
  • 23-08-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

hey folks,

My mother had to cut down a tree in the garden as it was getting too close to the house, the problems is it is sprouting shoots all over the garden from its roots. how do we kill the tree?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Use a systemic weedkiller now, while it is still growing. Spray carefully as you do not want to get it on any other plants, but get the leaves well soaked then leave it. You may want to put some plastic or something on the ground while you spray it. Its a bit more expensive but a spray container might be more useful than mixing it in a watering can.
    Or you can get paint on gel, but its a bit tedious using that.

It will start to fade after a week or so, but may not die back completely, or may continue to sprout next year. Treat it again, and keep at it every few months in the growing season till it stops.

Is it one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhus_typhina ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I had the same problem a few years ago with a tree stump and used a product called 'Tree Stump and Root Killer' by Roundup. Took a few shots but it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Theo.Warfield

MarchDub wrote: »
    'Tree Stump and Root Killer' by Roundup

I just paint this stuff straight on the stump, probable to late though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Before you use roundup you should read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup_%28herbicide%29#Health_effects

Advertisement