Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubber Mulch for Play Area

Options
  • 23-08-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of replacing my decking area with a play area and was thinking of using rubber mulch. The area is 2m x 8m. Anyone know what depth I'd need to fill? It'll have swings and a trampoline etc

Not that many prices online so if anyone has any idea of costs too that would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

We filled our play area with 5inches of rounded gravel a few years back (on top of a layer of thick fleece). Looks great and works well when kids inevitably fall off something.

I dont like the look or smell of the rubber options I've seen in public playzones. Theres one in Kildare Outlet that looks like wood mulch but smells like old car tyres (which I guess it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Thanks but have decided on using a rubber product of some sort. I have dogs too and it's safer for them if they swallow any

I have another gravelled area in the garden (about 30m square) and wish I had put something else down. If I could afford it, I'd cover that too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Our kids creche recently had rubber tar installed, looks great (it is new i suppose) and no loose bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

You'll need a minimum 50mm depth of mulch laid on top of a weed supressant geotextile membrane. I can't say the depth for sure as its determined by the "critical fall height". Basically if there is potential of a fall from a greater height you need a greater depth of mulch. If you go over 80mm you'll need to put in a sub base of rubber granules.
    I agree with the fat man that its doesn't look good. I'd suggest rubber matting as a much more suitable alternative for domestic use. You lay it on top of grass and let the lawn grow through it. It doesn't matter if the ground is uneven and You can even run the lawnmower over it. Just google grass mats for prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Rang all the suppliers I could think of and the best value was to be had in local garden centres.

For the area I was told I'd need anything from 20-35 bags @10kg each. I've ordered 30 bags (can always get more if needed) from a local centre that had the green rubber mulch on special offer. Total cost comes to €150 plus an extra €10 for delivery.

Well impressed with the price.

Can lay it immediately and can top up next spring/summer when the little fella is a bit older and getting more play equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

The Irish manufacturer is a company called Crumb Rubber Ireland based in Co. Louth.

They sell mats, bags, etc. Price you got sounds good. Not sure of their prices.

www.crumbrubber.ie

Advertisement