Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beans at a good price

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

trap4 wrote: »
    Okay, my quick, back of the envelope calculations --

On average it looks like coffee is coming in at €20 per kilo right now (rounding a little for ease of calculation).

Hasbean recommend 75g per litre of water. My cup is 1/3 litre = 25g per cup.

25g = 1/40th of a kilo = €20.00 divided by 40 = 50c per cup.

At 50c per cup it's coming in more expensive than Nespresso. Right?

Did you calculate in the extra cost of buying the Nespresso Machine and the life expectancy of the machine?
    Also Nespresso coffee limits you to just the Nespresso pods so you cannot experiment with all the different beans etc out there.
    Besides fresh home ground coffee just tastes better!

Have been getting my beans from http://www.cafelounge.ie/cafe-shop/coffees/ recently while working in Carrick on Shannon. Roasted in the cafe

I love their Indian beans lovely strong full flavour coffee. The Indonesian beans are not bad either for a variety. €8 for 250g of beans whole or ground to your preference.

Just rechecked their website. Had thought they offered delivery as well, but that section of the website does not seem to work properly. Though I would think if you contacted them they could probably arrange a delivery else where.

Nice team, explained the science behind the flat white very well.

Excellent link thank you!
    I just learnt loads watching it!
    I have so been using my mocha pot wrong!

Cold water fine ground beans on stove to long!
    Once I get my busted grinder working again I will have to experiment with the Mocha again!

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

kiwipower, check www.brewmethods.com for other guides on the moka and pretty much most brewing techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I bought my first ever bag of beans on Saturday in Rathgar, in the Gourmet Shop. They have about 6 different types of beans. I'm pretty sure they are 500g bags, all in the €6 price bracket. From reading here, that would seem to be a pretty good price, or they are pretty inferior to what is being talked about in the minimum €15 per kilo price bracket. Cant for the life of me remember what the brand is, I think it was something like Hogans or Horgans or something like that, bags had a little "sniff it" tab on the top.

Brand is Taylor's. Italian roast. But it's a 227g bag for 6 euro. So 15-17 euro is still good value. Am interested in the marks and spencer stuff someone posted about earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Brand is Taylor's. Italian roast. But it's a 227g bag for 6 euro. So 15-17 euro is still good value. Am interested in the marks and spencer stuff someone posted about earlier

does the bag have a roasting date on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭caol ila

donnacha wrote: »
    does the bag have a roasting date on it?

I suspect it's Taylor's of Harrogate coffee. They usually display the best before date not the roast date.

I'll check the roasting date tonight. Yes, it is Taylor's of Harrogate alright.

Coffee tasted good but I am a complete noob at this and dont really know what I am at. I'm also reluctant to have coffee in the evening as the caffeine would keep me up, and don't have time in the morning for brewing...so I have spend loads of time reading up on the best methods for French Press/Cafetiere brewing, and am dying to get my hands dirty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

The earlier suggestion that Nespresso may be cheaper than buying coffee beans is way off.
    Brown Thomas is selling a pack of 10 Nespresso capsules for €4.20, or 42c each. Each capsule contains 5 to 6 grams of coffee. In other words, one kilo of coffee is equivalent to approximately 180 Nespresso pods, which would cost over €75.
    Yes, over €75 per kilo.
    Granted, one will use more than 5 to 6 grams of coffee if making in a French press, etc, although a 180ml cup will still only use roughly 10 grams of coffee.
    A single shot of espresso (if you have an espresso machine) typically contains 7-8g.
    In short, a price of €75 per kg of Nespresso is nuts.

Advertisement