Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

calf card question

• 23-08-2011 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

just avout to load calves for the mart , one of the cards has aax on it instead of fr... will i still bring the calf?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

whelan1 wrote: »
    just avout to load calves for the mart , one of the cards has aax on it instead of fr... will i still bring the calf?[/Quote

hi Whelan,

I'd sell away noone pays any attention to breed on card, i've bought cattle with completely the wrong breed on there and never realised until lookin at cards some time later, just IMO !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Bodacious wrote: »
    just avout to load calves for the mart , one of the cards has aax on it instead of fr... will i still bring the calf?[/Quote

hi Whelan,

I'd sell away noone pays any attention to breed on card, i've bought cattle with completely the wrong breed on there and never realised until lookin at cards some time later, just IMO !
    ta, he's the best calf of the lot would be a pity to leave him at home, typical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

No, I dont think it's a problem. A lot of the time you can't tell the breed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

if it were the other way round might make a difference to some body killing aa cattle

I know for hereford Prime the card must be either HE or HEX otherwise the animal won't qualify

don't think it will make much difference for a fr though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just avout to load calves for the mart , one of the cards has aax on it instead of fr... will i still bring the calf?
    traceabilty whelan wheres that gone:eek:, only jokeing sell away the buyer is buying the calf not the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

bought a calf last year and the sex was wrong .

on a quick sideline, are these autumn calves your selling?

I was thinking of buying calves in about November, Hereford and Augus heifers on the bucket (4 plus weeks). Try and tie the work in with feeding in the shed, instead of bucket feeding clves next april when the yearlings are out on grass.

Good idea or bad?

Whelan1 can you let me know what cales are making today approx for aa and hereford heifers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just home... very happy ... the oldest of these calves was just 2 weeks old, great calves, all british friesian the best one made €275:eek:, then 200, 195 for 2 and €175 for 3 after commision i got €1343, the youngest was a week old.. one of the calves was off the cow that dies after putting her womb out.. there where 15 calves in the sales 7 of which where mine .. 2 angus bulls that where abit hairy made 320 and 235, they where a month old.. a ch heifer nice calf made 330 there where 2 simmental that i didnt see what they made... i am very happy.. wil be going back next week

****. ill have to check if i can get my hands on my first communion money.

It might be worth my while heading for the south so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

****. ill have to check if i can get my hands on my first communion money.

It might be worth my while heading for the south so.
    put that communion money in your arse pocket lad and come on down south to us.sold 2strong pollys last week @ 200 each. bring the big trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

sold april/may calves last week for 280

• Advertisement

what type of calves were they,

In bandon/castleisland how much is a nice 3/4 week old black white headed or polly heifer?

and does anone sell them directly off there farm. I prefer that way compared to marts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

bought a calf last year and the sex was wrong .

on a quick sideline, are these autumn calves your selling?

I was thinking of buying calves in about November, Hereford and Augus heifers on the bucket (4 plus weeks). Try and tie the work in with feeding in the shed, instead of bucket feeding clves next april when the yearlings are out on grass.

Good idea or bad?

Whelan1 can you let me know what cales are making today approx for aa and hereford heifers

Did you get away with the wrong sex card? That is totally wrong if so :O But on the question, it does not mae much difference with the breed, if the buyer knows his stuff hell know what to buy.

Sent the card to D of Agri and they changed it. Think i put a letter with it to say "contact the vet to verify"

Had problems purchasing of a dealer from Tulsk in Rscommon. Right ****er.
    So from now on ill buy direct off farmer or direct inmart and try cut out the dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Sent the card to D of Agri and they changed it. Think i put a letter with it to say "contact the vet to verify"

Had problems purchasing of a dealer from Tulsk in Rscommon. Right ****er.
    So from now on ill buy direct off farmer or direct inmart and try cut out the dealer

It is illegal to sell an animal with the wrong sex on the card. I have an inkling of where you bought it too and have had to deal with them numerous times. Buying in marts will cut out the cr*p but if you ask to see cards in mart for the stock you are interested in it will save you hassle as well. Hope the animal works out good for you at least.

Its illegal? woo. So all the dealers sh*t about "it happens all the time" is crap.

This actually happened last year, my first year stocking land.

The dealers are right ****ers. Sorry but they are, well especially this lad.

The dirty perv even groped my sister in the back of the ifor williams and told her he would take her hme for a good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Wow! I must be awful lucky with my dealer! I ring him up, tell him how many calves I want and what sort and a cupla days later he arrives with a batch in a trailer for me to take my pick. I've often asked him for 6 calves, he'd arrive with 7 or 8 for me to choose from and I'd take the whole lot. AND a big bonus, he gives me 'tick'. Of course, I've been buying from him for what seems like centuries and he knows there's never a problem with money. I'll be lost if/when he retires.

well i got badly treated with the dealer i mentioned above from Roscommon. Bit of a smart arse, and all mouth no action. But revenge will be sweet.

Maybe i was been a bit to optomistic. A cattle jogger is a jogger, but in modern business contracts either verbal or indeed written are contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Handle allot of animals and have on more than one occasion had a boy that was a girl on "its" passport and vice versa, I didnt question it as I could have being accused of sexism so I being Irish, done what we are so good at doing and closed my eyes to it and pretended I never saw it :D:D

Advertisement