Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many people here can't swim?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

When my mother was about 10 she fell head first into a 50 gallon drum full of rainwater. She was pulled out by a neighbour after 5 seconds but to this day she will not put her face down in water.

She made my brothers and I go swimming as often as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Qualified as a lifeguard ten years ago, but haven't really swam that much since. I find the skill great when on holidays, and being able to do so at the beach or in lakes is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

A lot of people laugh at me when I tell them this - I can swim, as in do a front stroke, or a back stroke at a push but if I stop actually swimming I sink. I can't stay in one place (tread water).

Strange thing is I had lessons every week from about 6-8 and got loads of badges. I was about 14 on holiday in Barcelona...a friend thought it would be funny to push me in the pool...I sank and was drowning until someone jumped in and saved me. I've nearly drowned four times, in the sea, a plunge pool and twice in a swimming pool.

I keep saying I'll get around to learning properly but since my drowning scares I have avoided water. Even walking the pier in Dun Laoghaire is **** scary to me.

I think it's important people should learn, if only to save my sorry ass when I'm drowning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't swim, but have always lived in cities or inland so days at the beach were never really a factor where it might be necessary.

Lived in Holland a few years too when I was younger but never learned then either.

Can't say it's ever held me back or that I've felt like I was missing out though. Truth be told things like camping, getting grimy from hiking or destroyed from a beach with sand everywhere isn't really my thing - that may explain it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I got swimming lessons as a child but still can't swim/tread water...i have a fear of water i think, i just can't put my head under it. I'd love to be able to swim but i can't see it happening :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wild_cat wrote: »
    Is it a myth that the old sailors never learned to swim as it would take them longer to drown if they got into trouble?
    It was true. Sailing ships weren't in the habit of turning around to pickup up anyone who couldn't grab the trailing rope.

Time and tide wait for no man etc.

Back in the worst days of the triangle trade a slave would have been less likely to die on the trip to the sugar plantations than a sailor would on the full trip.

Since the ship wasn't coming back old sailors reckoned that learning to swim would only prolong the agony, better get it over quick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you don't go near water you can't drown. I know two people who drowned, they were both swimmers. Fear is your friend.
    Keep out of deserts because you're more likely to drown in them than die of thirst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I tried to learn at about 14-ish, only because all of my friends were going swimming and I didn't want to miss out.

I learned the basics but never took to swimming.

I am a firm believer that humans have no business swimming in the sea anyway.
    I mean, have we not got the hint yet?
    There are things in the sea that want to hurt and kill us(even the stones are sharp and cut the feet off you ffs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm a little Piscean water baby :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I can't swim. Shensen will save me when the day comes when i'm drowning ;):)

• Advertisement

I cant swim to this day despite all the lessons i took as a child. could never relax in the water.

However i want to overcome it as id love to be able to do swimming as part of an exercise routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's rather puzzling, seeing as both the UK and Ireland are islands, whereas Germany is mostly landlocked...

Yeah, but it has big fcuk off lakes dotted about

the briney sea is not for me. I can swim to save my life......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

it can save your life

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DrArse

If you cant swim you wernt raised properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

DrArse wrote: »
    If you cant swim you wernt raised properly.

You, Dr, are talking through your Arse :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Been swimming since I was 10, quite quickly too.

My school had a swimming pool, I think it's one of the best sporting facility for a school to have. We used to have swimming galas and everything. It got damaged a couple of years ago and they still can't afford to fix it..it's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DrArse

Smidge wrote: »
    You, Dr, are talking through your Arse :rolleyes:

Afraid so buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I used to be anxious about swimming but only in the sea. I would say I'm a strong enough swimmer but there is something eerie about the sea for some reason . It doesn't stop me swimming in it but its just a strange sensation I get of being caught in a current or something . Strange huh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm very comfortable in the water, floating on my back, treading water, turning etc. I used to be very nervous getting out of my depth but now I love it.

Wouldn't be a great swimmer in terms of technique, but I can get from A-B reasonably solidly. I get tired v quickly doing overarm because my technique is sh*te, but I can stroke breasts all day long :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

*spots an opportunity*

I could help you

Oh god! This is why I hate old threads! Sh1t you write comes back to haunt you!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Whole family are water babies. Sis was leinster champion for a couple of years, regularily did the Dun Laoghaire pier swim. I swam competitively for a few years. As soon as my kids were out of nappies I brought them to the pool and got them paddling.

On hols, when there's a storm brewing and the waves are crashing in, we're the nutters heading out to the beach when everyone else is heading in to go fool around in the waves. Swimming in a raging sea with the rain belting down is a great buzz if you are comfortable doing it. There's usually some zealous lifeguard roaring and shouting for us to come in but sadly, with the noise of the waves, we never tend to be able to hear them.

I've a 16 year old lad who revels in heading out and diving under the big waves as they crash in. If you didn't know he was well able, you'd think he was doomed to drown. Different strokes for different folks probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Shenshen wrote: »
    I learned it when I was 5... my parents considered it absolutely vital.

I was wondering if the weather might be to blame... Germans tend to spend a lot of time in open-air public pools, or by river or lakes come summer. Just to be able to cool down occasionally. That's not really such a pressing need in Ireland, is it?
    just bringing this point up .....

If during my teenage years there was proper good weather (i.e. too hot to function except with air con or by a pool) combined with an open air pool full of chicks my age in flimsy bikinis with which I could frolic the summer away.......
    I think I may have been able to swim.

But seriously, outdoors swimming (/frolicing about in the water all day long) on the continent is a means of achieving a little comfort on ridiculously hot summer days - and is in pools or lakes which are reasonably warm from the preceeding hot weather.
    In Ireland outdoors swimming can only be enjoyed if for some reason you enjoy swimming in cold lakes and seas and are good at it.
    But if you arent, then it really is just a cr@p way of getting wet and cold, even wetter and colder that you would otherwise be from just the wet and cold weather.

Advertisement