Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few Questions...

Options
  • 23-08-2011 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to reclaim some plants from dad's garden this summer.

One of which was a very overgrown and sickly Ceanothus (concha I think) that is about four or five years old. I cut it back in June which left the bottom bare. Its looking a lot healthier now. Questions is will it grow back in a more busher form and also I was considering relocating it to the front garden so does anyone know how well Ceanothus reacts to being moved.

Also, there is a very overgrown Fushia (about 15+ feet) I need to cut it back, would back to 4 footish suffice?

Finally I've been buying special offer plants all summer that were close to death. A number of Hebes, Abeilas, Heathers, Hydrangas. There are back to good health and I know where I want to plant them but just not sure if I should keep them in pots for the winter or plant them out now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I cut a huge prostrate ceanothus back to no more than 12inch horizontal stems a few weeks ago, and it is sprouting like mad. If you want to move it, leave it until October/November -ish.

Can't help you with the Fuschia.

The other plants I would be inclined to keep being nice to them and plant them out early next spring. In the meantime cluster them together and give the pots a bit of protection when it gets cold with fleece or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Thanks looksee

Haven't seen any new growth on the Ceanothus yet but I may just leave it where it is.

I did kinda just needed someone to say to leave the plants in the pots, I've the planting plan done so I've been really restless to move them but after all the work I've put into it would be so stupid to lose them from impatience

Oh and also another question....I've been trying to nurse back a Forsythia as well but it has responded the least...there is improvement but do you know are they particularly slow growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cut it back a bit and leave it get on with it. Could give it a bit of a feed. They are pretty tough.

Advertisement