Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phil Wood Bottom Bracket Tool

• 23-08-2011 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where one might buy a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket Tool at the right price? Or alternatively if there is a way of removing the BB cups without the tool??

Reilig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 titanan

hubjub.co.uk sell them but you need a pair of them to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

titanan wrote: »
    hubjub.co.uk sell them but you need a pair of them to be honest.

Thanks. I presumed that the BB was a shimano or similar with 20 teeth so I bought a tool of ebay which said that it would remove it. It arrived last night and I tried it out, but it appears to be 1 or 2 mm too big to fit the cups on my bracket. While I haven't counted the number of splines on my bb cups, i was googleing the info today and saw that it is possibly a Phil Wood BB which has 17 splines. Will have to check when I get home.

If it isn't a PW BB, and has the 20 splines on the bb cup as I originally thought, do you have any idea if it is possible to get a smaller tool for to fit it or have you came across this problem before?

I'm suspect because it is a cheap road bike (Viking Sprint) and I don't think that they would have spent a lot of money installing an expensive PB BB on it??

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 DCU lad

Def not a Phil Wood BB then as they only have 18 splines I would guess you need a parktool BBT-2 or now known as BBT-22 tool as it has 20 splines

http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-32

Have a look at these and try to compare.

Thanks Titanan

That's what I thought. I counted the splines on it this evening and it definitely has 20 splines. I bought this http://cgi.ebay.ie/BOTTOM-BRACKET-BIKE-TOOL-SHIMANO-CARTRIDGE-CUP-FIT-6c-/160485038594?pt=UK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item255da75a02.

It is the same as the Parktool that you linked above??

If it is, then it is ever so slightly too big and just won't fit?

If you or anyone else has experience of a similar issue, I would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks in advance.
    titanan wrote: »
    Def not a Phil Wood BB then as they only have 18 splines I would guess you need a parktool BBT-2 or now known as BBT-22 tool as it has 20 splines

http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-32

Have a look at these and try to compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

is the miche bb not similar to shimano??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

If that's what they sent it should fit the spline on your BB, are your cups plastic by any chance?

Looks similar to the Parktool one alright, how tight is it when you try to get it into the splines? someone else was complaining on his feedback that it doesnt fit shimano splines, maybe just needs a bit of a sanding to get the paint off

abcdggs wrote: »
    is the miche bb not similar to shimano??

Nope, they are Campag' compatible.

Hi Holyboy,

The cups are plastic! Am I bunched or have I some hope of getting them off?

Reilig
    Holyboy wrote: »
    If that's what they sent it should fit the spline on your BB, are your cups plastic by any chance?

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    Hi Holyboy,

The cups are plastic! Am I bunched or have I some hope of getting them off?

Reilig

Not at all,just sometimes with cheap moulded plastic cups the tool can be a tight fit,try tapping the tool (lightly) with a hammer to see if it can be persuded in! Its much better to be a tight fit rather than lose, if you can get it to fit I would suggest trying to bolt the tool with the crank bolt to keep it in place before removing the cups,the last thing you want are broken plastic splines, thats when things get difficult.

Holyboy wrote: »
    Not at all,just sometimes with cheap moulded plastic cups the tool can be a tight fit,try tapping the tool (lightly) with a hammer to see if it can be persuded in! Its much better to be a tight fit rather than lose, if you can get it to fit I would suggest trying to bolt the tool with the crank bolt to keep it in place before removing the cups,the last thing you want are broken plastic splines, thats when things get difficult.

Thanks Holyboy.

I'll give it a go.

And thanks everyone else for your contributions!

Advertisement