Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ennis

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Coco is nice, but they do 'fusion' now so it's not all Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Inkyhead wrote: »
    Coco is nice, but they do 'fusion' now so it's not all Chinese.
    That means they serve chips too doesn't it?

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was a big fan of Coco when it was the Jasmine, went in there a couple of times after it changed over and I wasn't impressed, I'll have to give it another try, if I'm going out for a meal I usually go to either The Dining Room, Seasons 52 or The Town Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Clareman wrote: »
    I was a big fan of Coco when it was the Jasmine, went in there a couple of times after it changed over and I wasn't impressed, I'll have to give it another try, if I'm going out for a meal I usually go to either The Dining Room, Seasons 52 or The Town Hall.
    Is The Dining Room good Clareman? I'm only over a couple of times a year and we went to Rogues on recommendation last week. We did see The Dining Room and were thinking of eating there when we're next over maybe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Dining Room is fantastic, they did a great menu, I liked their lamb, steak and chicken curry (nom nom), Mrs. C. loved their seasfood starter as well as some of their fish dishes, I don't eat seafood, disgrace I know considering we live on an island. I was doing a lot of hosting of work dos for a while, I was there 9 times in 2 weeks, I think I just ate there too often so I haven't been there for a while :)

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance folks, where's The Dining Room?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

At the Kilrush Road Traffic Lights on the Market side.

Used to be Henry Js?

That's the place, I did have a chuckle to myself the first night I was there with the thoughts of some of the things I did in Henry's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

So that pizzeria is no more where I "think" the Dining Room is now?? Assuming from the name it isn't a pizzeria, shame because they did really nice pizzas in there

• Advertisement

Yep, same place - the pizzeria is gone. True for ya though, they had a daycent pizza with goats cheese mmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The Dining Room is excellent. Best food in town by some margin.

There used be 10 or 15 rental places in the 90's but the bottom fell out of that market about 5 years ago. The reason Xtravision weathered it is they're selling games consoles, blu ray players, cameras and such. In fairness the Ennis branch is fairly solid.

I think the only other one left is the snappily named "Internet + DVDs" on Carmody St. I haven't set foot in there in 15 years so I'm not sure what the selections like. It's pretty tiny.

That's high praise, if you're takin' the Town Hall and Rowan Tree into consideration. Looking forward to checking it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ill hijack this thread for a minute if its ok with the OP and Mods.
    Moving town soon and Ennis is one of the places Im considering.
    Just wondering what its like for live music (non trad)? Im in my 40s and into Blues, Rock, Folk etc. (bit of a hippie). I remember years ago there used to be a cool place at the end of town near a bridge (think there was a refugee hostel upstairs) that I used frequent.
    Also whats the food choices like for a vegetarian? Cheers ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There's definitely 2 or 3 decent bands with members in their 40s doing blues and rock. I know them to see but fecked if I can remember what they're called . Brandons book them fairly frequently and they play in other places round town now and then. There are a couple of decent younger cover bands about as well that mainly play 70's rock covers rather than Kings of Leon, thank goodness.

Vegetarian food choice probably isn't that amazing. I'm trying to remember what my cousin was eating I think he lived mostly on chinese takeaway hehe. He wasn't very interested in food anyway. If you're ever in Cork city check out Cafe Paradiso. All vegetarian and easily my favorite restaurant in the country. It's all stuff that'd be hard to source or prepare yourself so you feel like you're actually getting something you couldn't do yourself at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ta. Im not a cookin person unless its microwaved so Ill be helping the economy whereever I move to.
    Think the 70s lads you refer to might be The Alvin Purple Experience. Used to love them lol. Ive been around most of the towns im thinking of moving to so 'culture shock' wont really hit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

i'm a vegetarian too and i'd say there's no where outstanding for veggie food.. well the indian is good and the thai as would be usual for that kind of food. The town hall do a good veggie option but no choice really and the rowentree have a few choices. Us veggies are not well catered for in most towns i find. the swell berries and bushplant play a lot in ennis. good luck with the move..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kernow

There used be 10 or 15 rental places in the 90's but the bottom fell out of that market about 5 years ago. The reason Xtravision weathered it is they're selling games consoles, blu ray players, cameras and such. In fairness the Ennis branch is fairly solid.

I think the only other one left is the snappily named "Internet + DVDs" on Carmody St. I haven't set foot in there in 15 years so I'm not sure what the selections like. It's pretty tiny.

Went to that one on Carmondy St the other day not much of a selection of DVDs apart from a few X rated ones and a few old VHS videos didn't think there was much use for those nowadays.

Had a good chance to explore around now found a few good places to go. Town is very handy form where we are on the Kilrush road takes about 10 to 15 mins to walk in. There is handy little shop at the end of our road and the Mace store is handy to for a few bits and peces they have a fairly good deal there at the moment on coal wood kindling and briquettes €20.00 on that subject who is the best around here for coal turf wood also who is the best for oil and bins.
    Thanks again for all your help hope to get out some time soon for a pint or 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

+1 for The Dining Room.

Went last week and the food was the best i've had by far in Ennis, in fact possibly the best I've had in the whole country. We had 7 of us there and all ordered different to try and get a taste of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 manhattan28

kernow wrote: »
    Hi thanks again lads for the ideas sure will be checking them out.

Sure will take you up on the offer for some Clare drinks if I'm aloud and the misus let's me out lol.

Another question I have is where is the best DVD rental places apart from extra vision?

Also did ask the other day what's the best Chinese in town.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

Hi Kernow...how are you settling in. I'm a new guy in Ennis, wife from here so we moved the young family here and like you I'm looking for things to do . Any advice appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

stovelid wrote: »
    Fawls, Pa Quinns and The Halfway House would be my favourite pubs.

I'm a dub living in Dublin but married to a Clare woman and I know the town well.

ditto....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Locking this thread as it's over two years old - feel free to start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement