Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little stoneens

Options
  • 23-08-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello there.
    I've just topsoiled my prospective lawn and spent the weekend plus yesterday evening raking and picking stones out of it.
    There's a load of little stones left in the "tilth"(?).
    What do I do with these? Do I sow away and leave them there?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Leave them, small stones are no harm.

Incidentally you need to firm the soil surface a bit, the wellyboot shuffle or a light roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

if growing a lawn from seed:

Stones or pebbles? The former is a possible hazard and could cause injury especially to young children. Both would be a potential risk to causing blunting of mower blades and/or eye injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Thanks lads. Did the wellyboot shuffle alright, had wife and baby breaking their sides at me!!
    They're little yokes from say 5mm to 20mm. every time I give it a bit of a rake, they're there, mocking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

ericsinjun wrote: »
    Hello there.
    I've just topsoiled my prospective lawn and spent the weekend plus yesterday evening raking and picking stones out of it.
    There's a load of little stones left in the "tilth"(?).
    What do I do with these? Do I sow away and leave them there?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Quick tip: Water the prepared area in batches BEFORE you distribute the seed, this will stop the problem of your seeds being dislodged with watering them AFTER you sow.this method gets a more even coverage and lessenes the possibility of bald patches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I sowed my garden with meadow grass two days ago after months of preparation. I used wooden pegs, and a piece of board and a spirit level to level the area. Then I heeled-in the surface (walking over it using heels only.) Then more raking to fill in the low spots.

You will never get rid of all the stones. Even when you pick out the egg-sized and larger stones you will have loads left. A heavy rainfall like we had today will wash the soil off the remaining stones on the surface and you can see them and pick them up. When the grass has sprouted you will again find bare sports where more stones are visible. Again pick up these stones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement