Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egret 3 Candy Cab

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Cab looks great.Love the way the top swings up on those Egrets

Man I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with Ronnie.
    I must say I had no issues with my delivery or service

It is really bad for you to have to contact giz10p though.
    He is the one that orders the chasis's of them and fits them! Mine actually also came packaged like yours with the one sheet of carboard to protect monitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Cab looks great steve congrats.
    I would love one of these , has Ronnie got a website or how did you pick what you wanted.
    I saw another guy on another forum and he had 9 candy's of different flavours.
    Might drop a few hints to the missus seeing as Xmas is on the way.
    cheers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    Your cab is more or less the same as mine, do you have about 5 bolts to remove to get it off? Bloody things are well stuck on :o

Yeah cabs are pretty much the same I think. Just had a look at mine and there's 4 bolts to undo (after you undo the two to lift up the monitor frame).

Two here you can see and two that are hidden from view (the empty red boxes):

cp1s.jpg

Here's one of the hidden one's you couldn't see in the above pic:

cp2ps.jpg

It's been a long while since I've had to take it off but I think they are the only ones I had to deal with, they're fairly standard to get off too as I don't have any fancy tools here. You might need to clasp the other end of them while unscrewing the bolt yoke. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I don't think thats a pot issue, looks more like a vertical deflection circuit prob...though you say its a new chassis?

Shipping of the cab was appaling, really careless looking. The wrong control panel & then the 'here you call them' response regards the screen issue is very very poor form.

You were blessed really, the cab looks really lovely, despite the obvious neglect in wrapping it up for transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    I don't think thats a pot issue, looks more like a vertical deflection circuit prob...though you say its a new chassis?

Shipping of the cab was appaling, really careless looking. The wrong control panel & then the 'here you call them' response regards the screen issue is very very poor form.

You were blessed really, the cab looks really lovely, despite the obvious neglect in wrapping it up for transport.

Yeah, It's a new chassis all right. 195 euro worth.

Hopefully it will all get sorted. If not I have no problem hopping on a plane and heading to the Netherlands, I can get cheap flights :D

The cab itself is in decent condition with some yellowing that turned out to just be dirt that can be cleaned off with a bit of work. There is a few chips here and there but thats a little project to restore so I don't mind.

As long as I get the monitor and the control panel(really need those 6 buttons for my fighters) sorted I'll be a happy man. The colour on the monitor looks really good by the way so that side of things is perfect, just this bloody geometry thing is pissing me off. I have a feeling it will be a new chassis needed and I have no clue how to install one without blowing myself up.

• Advertisement

Bit of an update from the guy over on giz10p.co.uk who provided the new chassis.
    He reckons I wont be able to fix this with an pot adjustments as I've tried everything he asked :(

Ronnie says if I get another cab from him he can maybe send something to me.
    But the group of people who were going to get these cabs have backed out because of all the problems I've had and are looking elsewhere for their new candies, I don't blame them to be honest.

Not sure what to do now :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Would you not be in a postition to claim another one free of charge, since the one he gave you isnt working?

Bit of an update from the guy over on giz10p.co.uk who provided the new chassis.
    He reckons I wont be able to fix this with an pot adjustments as I've tried everything he asked :(

But the group of people who were going to get these cabs have backed out because of all the problems I've had and are looking elsewhere for their new candies, I don't blame them to be honest.

I had a feeling it wasn't a pot adjustment, the geometry just doesn't like right. Absolutely shocking customer care, how did you pay for the cab? Could there be a recourse that way? Ie something similar to a paypal claim like?

You paid for a working cab, spec'd & priced accordingly.
    You recieved an incorrectly spec'd, faulty machine.
    Simple as.

That sucks man. Sounds like the chap at giz10p couldn't identify what the exact source of the problem is then? Or is it a case of you've tried everything so last resort is another expensive chassis and hope for the best? Or maybe new parts are needed for the chassis?

That offer from Ronnie isn't exactly comforting - what if the second cab is wrapped as poorly as the first? Strange since ondafly said his cab was well wrapped up. Seeing how yours arrived would put me off buying one from him.

Not sure what to make of his reply to you on AO - whats the point of saying the cab wasn't new or needed a chassis fitted - the point is he sold it as working perfectly, it turned up with crap wrapping and had the monitor problem. Even if he offers to buy new parts or chassis how will you get it installed? Unless there's kind folks here who could help.

I had a feeling it wasn't a pot adjustment, the geometry just doesn't like right. Absolutely shocking customer care, how did you pay for the cab? Could there be a recourse that way? Ie something similar to a paypal claim like?

You paid for a working cab, spec'd & priced accordingly.
    You recieved an incorrectly spec'd, faulty machine.
    Simple as.

I paid for it via paypal. I really hope it doesn't come to that though.

I even told him I had this group of people waiting to see how my order went and how my cab worked before I paid for it. Sort of giving him a heads up that if my order goes well he has another 12 or 13 grand headed his way very soon.

• Advertisement

I paid for it via paypal. I really hope it doesn't come to that though.

I even told him I had this group of people waiting to see how my order went and how my cab worked before I paid for it. Sort of giving him a heads up that if my order goes well he has another 12 or 13 grand headed his way very soon.

I think you've been more than fair at this point. You've got quite a case, from public responses by him to descriptions of the fault etc. If I were you, I'd be escalating your concerns via paypal until I got a bit more professionalism from him. "Ring these guys" or "If you spend another €700 with me I'll sort you out" is by no means acceptable...well,not to me anyway.

Its crap that its gone messy now though, especially the complexities of shipping etc. But don't forget you've paid for a working cab & you don't have one...its Ronnies's problem really, not yours ;)

Basically every solution he is giving me requires I order at least one more cab from him. Which just isn't fair as the guys who were to get cabs from him via me are completely out now after the ways things have gone so I'd be buying my second cab right away so that I can fix my first cab.

And then there is the whole problem of installing and setting up a monitor/chassis that I have no clue about so would probably feck it up.

Edit:
    And of course I still need to sort out the control panel issue as well.
    I have a feeling that wont work out so well with the way things have gone.

Basically every solution he is giving me requires I order at least one more cab from him. Which just isn't fair as the guys who were to get cabs from him via me are completely out now after the ways things have gone so I'd be buying my second cab right away so that I can fix my first cab.

And then there is the whole problem of installing and setting up a monitor/chassis that I have no clue about so would probably feck it up.

Edit:
    And of course I still need to sort out the control panel issue as well.
    I have a feeling that wont work out so well with the way things have gone.

Good money after bad. Plenty of good experiences though regards Ronnie, so its a bit strange. I guess it shows how he deals with problems when they do arise, & that is how a good retailer distinguishes himself. Problems arise all the time, its how they're dealt with that matters :)

I wouldn't worry about the work involved in setting up a chassis etc, if he reimburses you back the cost of getting that done, I'm sure you can throw someone a few quid drop over & sort it out.

The control panel though is a different matter, I'd send him one final message asking what his plans are to resolve the situation. A) What can be done about the display, & B) How he intends to sort out the control panel issue. If you don't like the reply, I think you'll need to make a decision regards how to proceed next.

That being said, its only to my eye that geometry looks like a component failure...I've no experience with that type of screen but generally most pincushion/geometry adjustments related to pots are symentrical...the one in the pics looks all over the place...so I'm only concluding its something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

A dilly of a pickle alright.
    I'm sure Ronnie will sort you out the best he can.The problem is getting a new chassis and installing yourself...which looks like your only option.

Initially I don't think he was at fault,It's just the way he's handling it.
    I don't think his packaging method had anything to do with the fault...even if they are Sh1t,I don,t know how mine didn't arrive with a 2x4 lodged in the monitor.
    I'd imagine it is with the original chassis..which he buys of giz10p.
    He probably fitted it and failed to see the issue

Still you have paid someone the guts of a grand for a candy cab,paying extra for tri-sync monitor installed.Any issues should be sorted by him
    Get him to fly over,bring another chassis with him and install it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Arcade machine are so sensitive its unreal, to be perfectly honest as a peson who has ordered collected and recieved numerous cabs over the years using various different methods of shipping and transport.

Ronnies shipping was brilliant, the geometry could have gone due to a knock on the cab during transport or could even ve a temp thing.

Whats it like after you leave it on for a good few hours?

I have seen cabs that had savage geometry problems but after awhile they sort themselves out.

to be honest, when you order a cab and you dont see it personally you get what you get. This is the reason its best to see them first and pictures usually hide blemishes and problems.

In saying that you are probably one of 10 people who have an egret in Ireland.

I hope you get a resolution with ronnie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

purplec wrote: »
    Arcade machine are so sensitive its unreal, to be perfectly honest as a peson who has ordered collected and recieved numerous cabs over the years using various different methods of shipping and transport.

Ronnies shipping was brilliant, the geometry could have gone due to a knock on the cab during transport or could even ve a temp thing.
    as purplec has said i've moved and gotten various cabs as well over the years on their side back etc and never as well shipped as that above !cabs are sensitive buggers and at the end of the day they are mostly over 10+ years old so your should and gonna have problems thats jsut arcade collectiong !!

Initially I don't think he was at fault,It's just the way he's handling it.
    .............He probably fitted it and failed to see the issue

That kinda makes it his fault if thats the case.
    purplec wrote: »
    Ronnies shipping was brilliant

It really wouldn't take much to throw a bit of heavy duty bubble rap around the cap once its on the pallet. Anything could have grazed past the cab & damaged the finish.
    geotrig wrote: »
    they are mostly over 10+ years old so your should and gonna have problems thats jsut arcade collectiong !!

I think the op is aware of that, its the brush-off & exploitative nature of the aftercare thats the problem here (buy another cab off me & I'll sort you out).

Your all right in that the geometry could have been knocked out in transit, its Ronnie's aftercare that is the op's concern here. Not to mention Ronnie has lost out on the sale of quite a few cabs now over it by the sounds of things Steve?

That kinda makes it his fault if thats the case.

It really wouldn't take much to throw a bit of heavy duty bubble rap around the cap once its on the pallet. Anything could have grazed past the cab & damaged the finish.

I think the op is aware of that, its the brush-off & exploitative nature of the aftercare thats the problem here (buy another cab off me & I'll sort you out).

Your all right in that the geometry could have been knocked out in transit, its Ronnie's aftercare that is the op's concern here. Not to mention Ronnie has lost out on the sale of quite a few cabs now over it by the sounds of things Steve?

Yes, It's the after care that's the main prob here.

I buy lots of things, some cheap and some expensive and sometimes they arrive and are faulty or have other issues.
    It's a pain but I don't get annoyed about it, I just contact the seller and look for a resolution.
    If they arse me around that's when I get annoyed.
    It's all in the customer care and after service where a business is made, whether you're a big business or just a normal person selling on eBay/Adverts etc.

People who buy stuff from me know that I'm not all just talk either as I do my best to keep them happy, fair price and good service.

And good service like good manners usually doesn't cost you a penny :D

We'll see how things turn out in the end but at the moment he has lost out on a fairly large order because of how this one was handled.
    Perhaps if he sorts everything out the other guys might change their minds, who knows.

He was made well aware that these guys were been kept updated with how my order was going and that if my order went well we had the cash ready to go right away for a much large order. In the end it would have been 10 candies plus more if anyone here wanted to jump in and get one to save on shipping fees, that's a decent size order and I'm sure he could have offered some upgrades that these lads would go for just like I did (new chassis:(, buttons, control panel:(, joysticks etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I've actually been watching all the arcade cab talk here for a while, thinking of getting one at some stage too and before this ye all had glowing reports of Ronnie so I thought i was sorted....back to square one now :(

RedXIV wrote: »
    I've actually been watching all the arcade cab talk here for a while, thinking of getting one at some stage too and before this ye all had glowing reports of Ronnie so I thought i was sorted....back to square one now :(

Ahh I wouldn't say give up on Ronnie.

It's just this one experience that might still be resolved so don't give up on it.

I'll update this thread with any news an you can see how everything went for me.

• Advertisement

The monitor is starting to have fairly big green/purple discolourations in the 2 top corners like you would see if you held up some magnets to an old crt.

Ronnie installed 2 new speakers in the cab before shipping to me.

Could this be part of the problem as they have no shielding of any type on the speakers?

Removed speakers from the cab and colour problem is gone for the moment :)

Still have the geometry issue but at least I know the speakers were fecking with the CRT.

These are brand new speakers as well and part of the "extras" package I got from Ronnie.

Are speakers generally unshielded in cabs?

Andrew, any chance of a pic of your speakers (with the hood up of course :D ) as you have an atomswave and that should be the same setup as mine here?

Hey,

Yeah I was wondering why you had no shielding on the speakers, brand new ones explains that I guess. Here's front and side/underneath pics of mine:

speakersfront.jpg

speakersrear.jpg

I've never unscrewed them so not sure what they look like inside.

The other thing I noticed with your cab is the psu casing seems to be missing, it's the same model as mine so I'm assuming it should be there (unless you removed it ofc). It comes in two L-shaped parts, the mesh lid on top that also covers the rear side towards the back of the cab and the grey front and side part under it. Not sure if it makes any difference whatsoever if it's missing, other than as a means of keeping people from putting their hand in there. Thought I'd mention it anyway. :)
    (Ignore the stereo amp sitting on top, that's getting moved to the wooden board at the wkend.)

psushielding.jpg

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Hey,

Yeah I was wondering why you had no shielding on the speakers, brand new ones explains that I guess. Here's front and side/underneath pics of mine:

speakersfront.jpg

speakersrear.jpg

I've never unscrewed them so not sure what they look like inside.

The other thing I noticed with your cab is the psu casing seems to be missing, it's the same model as mine so I'm assuming it should be there (unless you removed it ofc). It comes in two L-shaped parts, the mesh lid on top that also covers the rear side towards the back of the cab and the grey front and side part under it. Not sure if it makes any difference whatsoever if it's missing, other than as a means of keeping people from putting their hand in there. Thought I'd mention it anyway. :)
    (Ignore the stereo amp sitting on top, that's getting moved to the wooden board at the wkend.)

psushielding.jpg

Cheers Andrew.
    I'm in the process of getting a set of Egret 2 official speakers from a user over on Arcade Otaku so hopefully that will make a difference (some decent guys over there for sure)

I don't have a cover the the PSU. I asked Ronnie if the case needed a new PSU after he sent a pic and I seen how it was, he said not at all.

I was basically looking to get new parts for anything that needed it before it was shipped and I was willing to pay for them.

By the way, The speakers were definitely the problem for the colour issue on the corners. They've been out for an couple hours now and no problems(and no sound of course).
    As soon as I put them back in the colours went bad again.

Unless the monitor is just knackered and any kind of speaker will cause probs, don't know enough about crt screens to be honest to make a call on it.

Do you mind if I post one of those pics up on the thread on arcade otaku and ask the guys if that's what I should have?

By the way, nice clean cab you have there, I'm in the process of cleaning mine and it sure picked up some dirt over the years. But a bit of cif cleaning stuff and some anti-bacterial wipes(a lot of wipes :D) and it's coming up great. I found a 100 yen coin stuck on a bit of the plastic drop thingy(the clear plastic sheet under the monitor that stops bits falling into the main cab), thats authenticity for ya :D

Do I see a bit of a PC in there as well? I'm putting the last few bits together on my Hyperspin pc. Did you mount it on MDF or did you go the plastic route? I here a lot of people stick them on IKEA plastic chopping boards, not sure which I'll go for at the moment.

Cheers Andrew.
    I'm in the process of getting a set of Egret 2 official speakers from a user over on Arcade Otaku so hopefully that will make a difference (some decent guys over there for sure)

I don't have a cover the the PSU. I asked Ronnie if the case needed a new PSU after he sent a pic and I seen how it was, he said not at all.

I was basically looking to get new parts for anything that needed it before it was shipped and I was willing to pay for them.

By the way, The speakers were definitely the problem for the colour issue on the corners. They've been out for an couple hours now and no problems(and no sound of course).
    As soon as I put them back in the colours went bad again.

Unless the monitor is just knackered and any kind of speaker will cause probs, don't know enough about crt screens to be honest to make a call on it.

Do you mind if I post one of those pics up on the thread on arcade otaku and ask the guys if that's what I should have?

By the way, nice clean cab you have there, I'm in the process of cleaning mine and it sure picked up some dirt over the years. But a bit of cif cleaning stuff and some anti-bacterial wipes(a lot of wipes :D) and it's coming up great. I found a 100 yen coin stuck on a bit of the plastic drop thingy(the clear plastic sheet under the monitor that stops bits falling into the main cab), thats authenticity for ya :D

Do I see a bit of a PC in there as well? I'm putting the last few bits together on my Hyperspin pc. Did you mount it on MDF or did you go the plastic route? I here a lot of people stick them on IKEA plastic chopping boards, not sure which I'll go for at the moment.

Don't mind at all about re-posting a pic, go for it.

Yeah I'd say it's just the lack of speaker shielding rather than a monitor problem re: the discoloration.

Ah I just gave it a quick clean on the inside with baby wipes (is there anything they can't clean! :pac:), I need to give the cp a proper clean on the outside as there's few little marks around the edges need removing.

Lol re: the coin, hopefully it was proper stuck and not bouncing around inside.

Mounted the PC on the mdf that was already inside, have the mobo, harddrives and j-pac mounted on pcb feet. The harddrives are stacked on top of eachother to save space. It's a micro atx like yours but still bugger all space available.
    I'll need to move the j-pac to make space for the stereo amp - I didn't mount it originally as I thought there was a problem with it. Sound was only coming from the left speaker, turns out the volume adjust for the right speaker was twisted all the way to mute. :o

Looks kinda messy from that angle but I've made it as neat as possible in there. I'm waiting to hear back about a modified wei-ya psu that can plug straight into our mains - so I can get rid of the transformer brick. Will have to see if I can fit the 360 in there also. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Don't mind at all about re-posting a pic, go for it.

Yeah I'd say it's just the lack of speaker shielding rather than a monitor problem re: the discoloration.

Ah I just gave it a quick clean on the inside with baby wipes (is there anything they can't clean! :pac:), I need to give the cp a proper clean on the outside as there's few little marks around the edges need removing.

Lol re: the coin, hopefully it was proper stuck and not bouncing around inside.

Mounted the PC on the mdf that was already inside, have the mobo, harddrives and j-pac mounted on pcb feet. The harddrives are stacked on top of eachother to save space. It's a micro atx like yours but still bugger all space available.
    I'll need to move the j-pac to make space for the stereo amp - I didn't mount it originally as I thought there was a problem with it. Sound was only coming from the left speaker, turns out the volume adjust for the right speaker was twisted all the way to mute. :o

Looks kinda messy from that angle but I've made it as neat as possible in there. I'm waiting to hear back about a modified wei-ya psu that can plug straight into our mains - so I can get rid of the transformer brick. Will have to see if I can fit the 360 in there also. :)

Yeah, Not a load of space inside these babies. But they do have a bit of room at the back so I'm having a think about try to use that for the pc. Mount it on the back or other side wall maybe if I can get some sort of mount plate for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Might be an idea to look at ventilation though, all that heat in there. Maybe house it in a perspex case and cut in custom fans?

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Might be an idea to look at ventilation though, all that heat in there. Maybe house it in a perspex case and cut in custom fans?

A decent CPU heatsink and a couple of silent 120mm fans is the way I'm going at the moment(and good cable management). Best to leave out the case as it will cool better if its naked, just like us humans :D

Ok, A bit of an update.

It looks like Ronnie is going to send me another monitor and chassis to replace the ones I have.
    I don't know what type or model they are yet but I have asked, and also asked if he can get a new or superior monitor while we are at it(which I'll pay towards).
    So it looks like things are looking good at the moment.

Now, As he is or will be sending a monitor and chassis I'm going to need to get someone to install it for me as I have not experience at all with these things and you can really feck it up from what I've seen on the other forums.

Does anyone have experience doing this or can anyone recommend someone?

Of course I don't expect it done for free so once I find someone we can chat about a fee for it.

• Advertisement

Make sure you replace those speakers with proper shielded ones, although I think you said you had that in hand. Good luck with the monitor and welcome to the other "fun" side of cab ownership. :)

Advertisement