Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egret 3 Candy Cab

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Make sure you replace those speakers with proper shielded ones, although I think you said you had that in hand. Good luck with the monitor and welcome to the other "fun" side of cab ownership. :)

I'm still enjoying that cab, even with its issues. The Xbox 360 looks great on the monitor(once I expand it out a bit to hide the geometry prob).

As for the speakers I've got some official Egret 2 speakers headed my way(couple of weeks as the guy is on hols in Japanland) as well as some decent PC speakers coming from amazon for the PC/Xbox 360 that will eventually live inside the cab.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cool stuff. I've decided to stick with the cab speakers for pc and 360, will just swap out the 2 phono connections on the amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Hey,

I have experience in this but there is no way I would swap it out. from what i remember there is no cage around the neck of the monitor which makes it very easy to neck.

Once necked its game over baby, make sure the monitor he is sending you is a pure flat screen and not one with a curve otherwise you'll need to get the dremmel out and start grinding.

Ask him to have the connections for the power and rgb ready for installation to an egret 3.

just be very careful lifting out the monitor as its very heavy ~50 Kgs.

glad you got a resolution.

purplec wrote: »
    Hey,

I have experience in this but there is no way I would swap it out. from what i remember there is no cage around the neck of the monitor which makes it very easy to neck.

Once necked its game over baby, make sure the monitor he is sending you is a pure flat screen and not one with a curve otherwise you'll need to get the dremmel out and start grinding.

Ask him to have the connections for the power and rgb ready for installation to an egret 3.

just be very careful lifting out the monitor as its very heavy ~50 Kgs.

glad you got a resolution.

I reckon I could handle installing the monitor with some help but its the setting up of the chassis and all that stuff i have no clue about.

Anyway, been playing this game all even so thought I'd stick up a quick video of a game running on the cab.

The quality is a bit dodgy as I just pointed the camera at the screen and pressed record so the exposure and sound is a bit, ehh, amateur :D

Marvel Vs Capcom 3 on the Xbox 360:

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

This doesnt look that bad you cant see the stretching in the video?

In terms of setting up the monitor this differs to person to person. On a number of occasions I have had a friend over who said contrast is too high sharpness is too low blah blah blah.

In the end it comes down to the end user. So once its in and you have a picture up just fiddle around with the pots until you are happy.

What are you doing with the current chassis?

• Advertisement

purplec wrote: »
    This doesnt look that bad you cant see the stretching in the video?

In terms of setting up the monitor this differs to person to person. On a number of occasions I have had a friend over who said contrast is too high sharpness is too low blah blah blah.

In the end it comes down to the end user. So once its in and you have a picture up just fiddle around with the pots until you are happy.

What are you doing with the current chassis?

Ronnie wants the current chassis sent back but I'll be keeping the actual monitor as It would just cost to much to ship it back.

The screen looks ok because I have it expanded way out so you are missing a big part of game screen to hide the really bad geometric distortions on both sides of the screen.

On another note, does anyone know anywhere I can get a couple of xbox 360 pad hacks to use on the cab?

Steve SI wrote: »
    On another note, does anyone know anywhere I can get a couple of xbox 360 pad hacks to use on the cab?

I'm interested in this also. ondafly mentioned he's using Dual Strike PCBs in his cab and they work fine, but it required him to do some soldering. I'm guessing you're looking for that to be already done. :)
    Trying to remember if K.O.Kiki's name was mentioned as doing it? Could be totally wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Marvel Vs Capcom 3 on the Xbox 360:

Did you manage to get MVC3 working on Xbox360 ? without black bars top and bottom? I can't play it with bars top and bottom, really ruins the experience. Whereas the SFIV and Super work perfect in 4:3
    I'm interested in this also. ondafly mentioned he's using Dual Strike PCBs in his cab and they work fine, but it required him to do some soldering. I'm guessing you're looking for that to be already done. :)
    Trying to remember if K.O.Kiki's name was mentioned as doing it? Could be totally wrong there.

dual strikes are the job alright, really not that hard to do either !

ondafly wrote: »
    Did you manage to get MVC3 working on Xbox360 ? without black bars top and bottom? I can't play it with bars top and bottom, really ruins the experience. Whereas the SFIV and Super work perfect in 4:3

dual strikes are the job alright, really not that hard to do either !

No it still has the 16:9 borders on it.
    It's a pity but still playable.

Anyone know if one of these switching power supplies would work in my cab without issue?

http://www.arcadebits.com.au/power/14-power-supply-arcade-15a-wei-ya-110-240v.html

Would be nice not to need the power step down/up/whatever thing.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if one of these switching power supplies would work in my cab without issue?

http://www.arcadebits.com.au/power/14-power-supply-arcade-15a-wei-ya-110-240v.html

not sure to be honest? could be the case, like a PC PSU with the switch on the back for changing your voltage. I'd say it might work, but my concern would be the cables are all able to plug into it ? and also if all the pins line up, i.e. 5v goes to the same place on the new PSU

not sure to be honest? could be just a case, like a PC PSU with the switch on the back for changing your voltage. I'd say it might work, but my concern would be the cables are all able to plug into it ? and also if all the pins line up, i.e. 5v goes to the same place on the new PSU

Yeah, more research needed me thinks.
    Would be great if it did the job though.

my main concern would be the lighting in the cabinet - wouldn't want to have to go find a replacement bulb in case one was blown.

Yeah, more research needed me thinks.
    Would be great if it did the job though.

It would mean snipping off some molex connections from your existing wiring which I think means you lose some JVS ability? Remember reading it somewhere. I have one of those units (actually this one) as a backup incase the stock one blew. They're supposedly robust little fellas, more stable than the stock wei-ya ones apparently.

@Andrew - does that PSU run a -5V ? and are the connections very different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They do -5v alright. I remember installing one in my old cab when my crappy atx style one went kablamo.

@Andrew - does that PSU run a -5V ? and are the connections very different ?

Hey, yep looks like it with the -5v, close up pic below. Wires are screwed to it rather than plugged in etc.

jammapsu1.jpg

Master of the Universe

There's a switching power supply in my Atomiswave which is pretty much the exact same cab as yours. Mitch swapped out the stock psu for this one instead. Reckoned the one that was in it was junk.

The cab still required a step down though. So I'm not sure if it's just as simple as dropping in a switching power supply and selecting 220v instead. There could be something else going on in there.

mmm - i think I'll just go with the negatron to get the -5v, then I at least keep the sound amp that my PSU also has.

mmm - i think I'll just go with the negatron to get the -5v, then I at least keep the sound amp that my PSU also has.

I can never remember the name of that thing when I need to.

But I always have Transformers in my mind when I try to think of it :D

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's a switching power supply in my Atomiswave which is pretty much the exact same cab as yours. Mitch swapped out the stock psu for this one instead. Reckoned the one that was in it was junk.

The cab still required a step down though. So I'm not sure if it's just as simple as dropping in a switching power supply and selecting 220v instead. There could be something else going on in there.

That's was I was just going to ask you - was the step-down still needed? I thought the jamma harness powers everything in the cab? Monitor, coin, controls, speakers, marquee light the lot?

Yeah I think that solution looks way neater.

I can never remember the name of that thing when I need to.

But I always have Transformers in my mind when I try to think of it :D

me too - easy way to remember it

media_http25mediatumb_aHwDl.jpg.scaled500.jpg

Master of the Universe

That's was I was just going to ask you - was the step-down still needed? I thought the jamma harness powers everything in the cab? Monitor, coin, controls, speakers, marquee light the lot?

Yeah there is still a step down needed in my machine even with a switching supply.

I'm not sure where the monitor pulls power from in a candy cab. I know it's different to our old western JAMMA cabs. Haven't really had much of a poke about inside my (broken!) one.

In my old JAMMA machine the monitor completely bypassed the switching PSU..the only thing that was taking power from that was the Jamma board and the speakers. Candies are different altogether.

I would say purplec or one of the other candy masters should know the answer to that one :)

Yeah I can see the monitor has it's own power cable that goes into an AC 100v socket - I wonder does that have to come from the main psu then. It's confusing trying to follow where all the wires go. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah there is still a step down needed in my machine even with a switching supply.

I'm not sure where the monitor pulls power from in a candy cab. I know it's different to our old western JAMMA cabs. Haven't really had much of a poke about inside my (broken!) one.

In my old JAMMA machine the monitor completely bypassed the switching PSU..the only thing that was taking power from that was the Jamma board and the speakers. Candies are different altogether.

I would say purplec or one of the other candy masters should know the answer to that one :)

When will you have it a year, November or thereabouts? On the day, we all need to plug our cabs out & have a moments silence for o1s1ns cab :(

Master of the Universe

Haha! Yeah, got really unlucky with that cab unfortunately.

It's an odd one, Mitch has tried two new chassis in the thing but neither worked. It's a shame as the one vertical line going across the screen looks really bright and crisp! I'd say it would have been a lovely monitor if it worked properly.

We've progressed from fixing it to just replacing the machine. Said he has some Atomiswaves due in.

I'll see if I can host a beers and have a grand unveiling once its sorted :)

So Ronnie got back to me on the monitor he wants to send me.

Here's the picture he sent of it. It still seems to have some geomtry issue, what do you's think?

I've attached the full size image he sent me and also embeded a smaller pic.

I've asked him to send me on the full model number of the monitor so I can check it out.

dsc0003sa.jpg

Another update.

Ronnie says I need a new monitor if I want to have the geometry perfect on it.

Is it really this hard to get a monitor/chassis that can draw straight lines :mad:

I wonder how much this is gonna cost me now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My bank account cringes just thinking on how much money you've sunk recently.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    My bank account cringes just thinking on how much money you've sunk recently.

Tell me about it :o

Advertisement