Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardtail advice

• 23-08-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Can someone advise me on the comparison between these hardtails, I'm going to be using them mainly off road, nothing too serious, just for fun / messing around on tracks etc. I'm a bit baffled when comparing the merits of some components over others, like a different language ;)

I'm tied to one shop (Eurocycles), hence limited to certain brands only.

Bikes I'm considering are

Felt Q820 2011 model
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/q820-2011-mountain-bike-ec024368

Felt Q920 2011 model (€165 more expensive than Q820)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/q920-2011-mountain-bike-ec024369

Felt Q920 2010 model (€65 more expensive than Q820)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/q920-2010-mountain-bike-ec021667

Focus Black Forest 3 2011 model (€410 more expensive than Q820)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-black-forest-30-xtr-2011

I don't fancy the Suntour forks on the Q820, so kinda ruling that out myself, however on the others, I find it difficult to compare brakes and forks as no real experience with using the different models etc, haven't a clue on other components, so that's where I'm hoping those on boards can voice their opinion.

The Q920 2011 has Recon TK Solo Air, vs Recon Sl Solo Air on Q920 2010, with Fox 32 Alps RL, all 100mm.
    And similarly for brakes, Q920 2011 has Elixir 3, 2010 model has Juicy 3, Focus has Elixir 3.

As i write, it sounds hard to see value in the Focus model, as is €250 more expensive to Q920 2011 model, evn more expensive to the others.

Please feel free to voice an opinion if you are familiar with above bikes or components.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

bikefan123 wrote: »
    Can someone advise me on the comparison between these hardtails, I'm going to be using them mainly off road, nothing too serious, just for fun / messing around on tracks etc. I'm a bit baffled when comparing the merits of some components over others, like a different language ;)

I'm tied to one shop (Eurocycles), hence limited to certain brands only.

Bikes I'm considering are

Felt Q820 2011 model
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/q820-2011-mountain-bike-ec024368

Felt Q920 2011 model (€165 more expensive than Q820)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/q920-2011-mountain-bike-ec024369

Felt Q920 2010 model (€65 more expensive than Q820)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/q920-2010-mountain-bike-ec021667

I don't fancy the Suntour forks on the Q820, so kinda ruling that out myself, however on the others, I find it difficult to compare brakes and forks as no real experience with using the different models etc, haven't a clue on other components, so that's where I'm hoping those on boards can voice their opinion.

The Q920 2011 has Recon TK Solo Air, vs Recon Sl Solo Air on Q920 2010, with Fox 32 Alps RL, all 100mm.
    And similarly for brakes, Q920 2011 has Elixir 3, 2010 model has Juicy 3, Focus has Elixir 3.

As i write, it sounds hard to see value in the Focus model, as is €250 more expensive to Q920 2011 model, evn more expensive to the others.

Please feel free to voice an opinion if you are familiar with above bikes or components.
    Why are u tied to eurocyles. They aren't good value and have a poor range or hardtails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Why are u tied to eurocyles. They aren't good value and have a poor range or hardtails.

Eurocycles have Felt, Corratec, Focus...Always try and give the best price and 15% off accessories..

Anyways, back on topic.... Fox forks with ElixR brakes are the best...Suntour being the worst forks and Rockshoxs in the middle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Eurocycles have Felt, Corratec, Focus...Always try and give the best price and 15% off accessories..

Anyways, back on topic.... Fox forks with ElixR brakes are the best...Suntour being the worst forks and Rockshoxs in the middle
    Felt hardtails are poor spec imo. Their focus are circa 30% more expensive than wiggle. Corratec are.ok, but that not a good selection. Also they refused me the 15% voucher as I was picking up the bike and could do nothing about it, said it was online only even though no t&c apply. I have a complaint against them with the asai and just won my small claims against them yday.

Ive got better service and quality from halfords and id recommend anyone to buy elsewhere. City cycles do the same range and the service is a million times better.

The shop can matter just as much as the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bikefan123

Using one of the cycle 2work schemes, and work issued a voucher to me for Eurocycles, I decided at time to get bike I had chosen, thinking I coudl get vouher reissued for anotehr shop. however work then changed scheme they were affiliated with, so now stuck with voucher that is tied to Eurocycle...a sad story indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Depends on your budget really. The if you want to enjoy it quicker I'd spend the difference on some kit, quality helmet, comfortable bicycle quaçues. There's probably a fiver in the price difference between each component. The 920 is slightly nicer spec IMO though similar tires and the same frame.

Since the drive trains on both are so different, it's hard to say which is better, SRAM 9 speed vs Shimano 10 I'd be wondering which would be smoother or more durable. The 920 has a 10-speed rear cassette and without a 2 speed chain-set it's just nonsense and ruins it for me!

If the Felt frame and looks appealed to me, they don't, I'd have the 820. Especially if you are considering buying some other kit. The cheaper one isn't exactly going to hamper your performance over the more expensive one. The Focus on the other hand, is in another price bracket altogether I'd hope the wheels and fork would show considerable improvement.

If I was limited to the ones on the Euro Cycles site I'd be looking at the Coratec 29er bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

studiorat wrote: »
    Depends on your budget really. The if you want to enjoy it quicker I'd spend the difference on some kit, quality helmet, comfortable bicycle quaçues. There's probably a fiver in the price difference between each component. The 920 is slightly nicer spec IMO though similar tires and the same frame.

I woul have thought that the Rockshox were considerably better in terms of performance and robustness compared to Suntours, no (with Fox tending to be better performance again)?
    studiorat wrote: »

Since the drive trains on both are so different, it's hard to say which is better, SRAM 9 speed vs Shimano 10 I'd be wondering which would be smoother or more durable. The 920 has a 10-speed rear cassette and without a 2 speed chain-set it's just nonsense and ruins it for me!

If the Felt frame and looks appealed to me, they don't, I'd have the 820. Especially if you are considering buying some other kit. The cheaper one isn't exactly going to hamper your performance over the more expensive one. The Focus on the other hand, is in another price bracket altogether I'd hope the wheels and fork would show considerable improvement.

If I was limited to the ones on the Euro Cycles site I'd be looking at the Coratec 29er bikes.

Thanks for reply. I have quite a bit of outdoor sports gear, including cycling gear, so don't think I need much more.

I never rode a 29er bike, know no one that has one - is it just rider comfort thats improved over bigger obstacles - I thought that the forks etc were really only designed/refined for 26" bikes, however that may be way off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

NOOOOO 29er's!

OP just go to Eurocycles on the Long Mile road, get a test spin, pick a bike that takes your fancy, go out and cycle it! Simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

They are both air forks made out of the same stuff. It has to be a considerable jump in price to notice a difference I find. There's so many other variables you can dial-in to the setup, tires, bar height etc. That a couple of euro price difference is going to be a huge jump IMO.

Trezor's right. Get out there pick the one that feels comfortable and ride the living sh1t out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

bikefan123 wrote: »
    C

I ride Focus in hardtail (Black Raider) and its a great bike. Really taken some abuse over the past year. Spec is similar and you will handle 90% of the trails in Ireland on it. Brakes will need upgrade and wheels eventually but that goes for most bikes in that price range. Its all about personal choice and feel for the frame. Try them and see which feels right. I've had no issues dealing with Eurocycles in the past and returned for items such as shoes. My only problem was a Kryptonite lock fault and they gave a full refund with no hassle.

Advertisement