Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mater Dei / St. Pats Gaeltacht?

• 23-08-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi can anyone tell me if you have to spend 3 weeks in a Gaeltacht when doing the Bed. in St. Pats or Mater Dei? If so is there anyway around it. I am thinking of doing this course but as a mature student with 2 kids this would make life very difficult.

Also if anyone could let me know what the hours are like for first year in either of these colleges it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Zag x

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Which programme are you talking about in Mater Dei? Mater Dei don't offer a primary school teaching course.

There is no way around having to do the three week Gaeltacht course, no matter which college you go to and no matter what your circumstances are. It is a requirement set down by the Department of Education which has to be fulfilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Zag2 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me if you have to spend 3 weeks in a Gaeltacht when doing the Bed. in St. Pats or Mater Dei? If so is there anyway around it. I am thinking of doing this course but as a mature student with 2 kids this would make life very difficult.

Also if anyone could let me know what the hours are like for first year in either of these colleges it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Zag x

Your best bet would be to bring your kids to the Gaeltacht with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Your best bet would be to bring your kids to the Gaeltacht with you!

I agree. I know that with Hibernia they can organise accommodation for your family if you need to bring them. Maybe St. Pats do something similar, or will do it if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Zag2

That would be great if it is possible. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the replies.

Zag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

You also have the option of teaching in a gaeltacht for three weeks if that would suit better? maybe theres an irish college course near you and you could teach there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

In St Pats, you can also choose to do 2 weeks at easter time in the gaeltacht both 1st and 2nd year, instead of the 3 weeks in the summer after 1st year.

Advertisement