Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG President huge expenses bill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't get me wrong - I haven't a clue about levels of patent registration either, but I have, in the past, done a PhD at NUIG and have done some teaching there too. Accordingly, I (and others) are likely to be annoyed when you say the university is not attracting the best lecturers and students - you're tarring a lot of people with one large brush there.

I think NUIG has some amazing, top-rank academics on their payroll and I think they also have a lot of very, very good students. On the other hand, there are certainly people there doing PhDs and Masters degrees who are not at the cutting edge of research in their field - but should we then think less of the university (including all academics and students) because of these below-par few? Like your friend who travelled abroad on a funded trip to a conference and then didn't attend it - should we judge everyone by his/her measure?

I agree that publicy funded universities should be accountable, but we should also bear in mind that the expenses of the President's office are but a very small portion of the annual budget for the institution (which I'd guess is around 100million euro) - an institution of that size needs to spend money sending its CEO/President/top dog (call it what you will) to meetings at home and abroad - it needs to spend money on welcoming visitors and it needs to pay for these things - make them accountable by all means but don't portray all in the institution as profligate wasters...

I get your point and I don't think it seems like, or at least I never meant for it to seem like that there aren't some good students and lecturers there. 150k is a lot of money for expenses, the only way I can be convinced otherwise is being shown the expenses and the business reason for each, the only way that'll happen.

As for the friend who did that with the conferences, this friend has not been found out..so there is something wrong with the system. If she can exploit the system and not be found out it needs to go up the chain, if the person at the helm is also exploiting the system...well, what hope have we? The whole place would be rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    NUIG has some strange successes over the years, eg Hydrology, where they taught half of Africa how to find water and get it to the population. How do you monetise that ???

There's no way to answer to that without sounding heartless so I won't attempt to...but there is an answer in my head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

Did browne get the sack yet or did he keep his cushy dossy job?

Advertisement