Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to Ireland to teach.

• 23-08-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey guys, just a few questions about the possibility of getting work in Ireland. I qualified in England and currently teach in London. I have a PGCE with Masters credits and just completed my NQT year. My girlfriend and I have discussed moving back to Ireland next year to make a go at things. Looking on EducationPosts there seems to be lots jobs available, especially in Dublin. Is this a true reflection of what is out there, or would a lot of these jobs be tied up already and are just advertised as part of the protocol? I realise that most are not permanent but still is there a possibility of the temporary ones leading to a permanent position? I'm confused and how the panels work too. How do you get on a panel? I've heard that they have been cleared for the most part so does mean it will be easier to get a job?

I know that we need to do the S.C.G when we come back and also need to get in touch with the teaching council to get the PGCE checked out e.t.c. I'm just wondering if anyone else has come back and how you have found things? We both have permanent jobs so it is a tough decision and also you are very much judged on your merit as opposed to "who you know" in London. Is this "who you know" nonsense still as endemic in Ireland? Lastly, is there any truth that as a male teacher, who trains a football team!, that it is easier to get employment?

Lots of questions!! If anyone has some insight I would be delira.:)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Neecod wrote: »
    Hey guys, just a few questions about the possibility of getting work in Ireland. I qualified in England and currently teach in London. I have a PGCE with Masters credits and just completed my NQT year. My girlfriend and I have discussed moving back to Ireland next year to make a go at things. Looking on EducationPosts there seems to be lots jobs available, especially in Dublin. Is this a true reflection of what is out there, or would a lot of these jobs be tied up already and are just advertised as part of the protocol? I realise that most are not permanent but still is there a possibility of the temporary ones leading to a permanent position? I'm confused and how the panels work too. How do you get on a panel? I've heard that they have been cleared for the most part so does mean it will be easier to get a job?

I know that we need to do the S.C.G when we come back and also need to get in touch with the teaching council to get the PGCE checked out e.t.c. I'm just wondering if anyone else has come back and how you have found things? We both have permanent jobs so it is a tough decision and also you are very much judged on your merit as opposed to "who you know" in London. Is this "who you know" nonsense still as endemic in Ireland? Lastly, is there any truth that as a male teacher, who trains a football team!, that it is easier to get employment?

Lots of questions!! If anyone has some insight I would be delira.:)

Cheers

So much of any answer depends on what subjects you are fully qualified to teach - that is, subjects which you've taken to degree level and are registered with the Teaching Council of Ireland to teach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Lastly, is there any truth that as a male teacher, who trains a football team!, that it is easier to get employment?

I've heard plenty of people say this, and I know for a fact that one intercounty GAA player in a school I've taught in was poached and given a permanent job the year he finished the PGDE as the principal wanted to attract students from his part of the county (10km away) to attend her school rather than the local school. It could give you the edge, moreso than a Masters will.

Press 'ctrl' and 'f' on that Education Posts page and you'll see the subjects most in demand are: Mathematics (13 positions); French (9 positions); Gaeilge/Irish (7 positions).

And if you don't have the combination they're looking for it's going to be hard (not impossible) to secure the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Neecod

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't clarify but I'm a primary teacher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I was told of a job locally, in a rural school, that had 1,000+ applications last month. That's basically the situation here with primary jobs. I know people who have been out of college a few years, with amazing extras on their cvs, and they still haven't had anything more than a few days subbing , or at best a maternity leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Have you done your SCG? I think sport and pull still count a lot, as does experience. Masters great if you want principalship, otherwise not necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

E.T. wrote: »
    I was told of a job locally, in a rural school, that had 1,000+ applications last month. That's basically the situation here with primary jobs. I know people who have been out of college a few years, with amazing extras on their cvs, and they still haven't had anything more than a few days subbing , or at best a maternity leave.

Likewise, I know someone on a board of management at a local primary school who told me the last two maternity leave positions attracted 700+ CV applications EACH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't clarify but I'm a primary teacher!
    If you qualified in england, are you actually fully qualified to teach in Ireland? Do you have the necessary level of Gaeilge?
    For a primary teacher, I don't think the sports thing is that much of an advantage as there doesn't tend to be as much emphasis on sport in primary schools. From what I've heard from my friends who teach in primary schools though, just being male is an advantage since there are far fewer male primary teachers than female ones.

Not sure that any of this is much help to you mind but you should have a good level of Gaeilge if you're serious about this move.

I've heard a lot about the high level of applications but I'd be interested to know what part of the country you guys are in. The sports thing is definitely a major plus in England and I can't see why it wouldn't be at home. In terms of the Irish I have got honours at LC level but obviously need to brush up. I have major issues about the focus on Irish because I would be very sceptical of the fluency of most Irish teachers. This is a biased opinion based on the fact that the S.C.G seems to be a version of the LC and as such it can be passed without the person really being fluent. On top of this it seems a money racket. However I'm than prepared to go through the process and would enjoy the Gaeltacht aspect. I'm fully qualified in England and would be too in Ireland with the exception of a mini dip in Irish once I do the S.C.G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Part of me agrees with you as I used give grinds, hence the name, to students preparing for the SCG and found a lot had a low level of competancy. That said...I've a few principals as relatives and all seem to be picking Gaelgóirí these days, fair or unfair if you've the creme de la creme you'll pick someone with language, sport, art, drama and music over someone without.

You are dead on about having those qualifications and I agree with what your saying. I personally believe there should be a gaelgoir who works in a primary school with the sole purpose of teaching Irish to each class - with the emphasis on oral and nurturing a love of the language. I know there would be timetabling issues and such but in fairness the current system doesn't work and 18 years of Irish with so little fluency is proof of that. In other countries where they teach a language in primary, this is often how they implement it. I mean I hate to think of teachers from other countries who come here and have to learn Irish. They could be the best teachers ever yet still they wouldn't qualify!

Anyway - rant over:) back to London on Saturday!

• Advertisement
Advertisement