Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's Park

• 23-08-2011 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Anybody know what distance it is to do one lap of the perimeter of the people's park?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I'm nearly sure I've heard people say it's almost exactly 1km. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

It is one kilometre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

This is off topic but thread related, what would everyone do to improve the Park? I can't help but feel it's missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

batm!ke wrote: »
    This is off topic but thread related, what would everyone do to improve the Park? I can't help but feel it's missing something?

I think lights at night would be good but then I suppose you would attract a lot of scumbags down there drinking and acting the blagards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

re-instate the cycling track and have organised Sunday afternoon races during the summer months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Bards wrote: »
    re-instate the cycling track and have organised Sunday afternoon races during the summer months
    I'd love to see more sports related activities catered for down there for sure. I think lights at night might deter scumbags tbh. As it is it's too dark to see what's going on in there, and when I lived in Canada Sq. I'd walk around the Park rather than go through it if I was coming from say the South Parade side.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Beginning at the gate / Cafe at Canada St. is a path that takes you all around the perimiter.Anticlockwise. Its marked all around (0k 200K, 500K etc so you can pace yourself. Don't know how accurate it is though. funny it begins and ends right at the cafe, and not at the other side where the stretching fixtures are located.:rolleyes:;)And the best parking is to be had. i mean, who parks in Canada street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

It's exactly 1km. There's markings on the ground starting over in the corner by that little restaurant, it marks out every 200m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think something like tall-ish trees all the way around the perimeter might make it feel more enclosed and separate from the outside world (in a good way). It almost feels like you're out walking on the road when you're walking around the perimeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

sillysocks wrote: »
    I think something like tall-ish trees all the way around the perimeter might make it feel more enclosed and separate from the outside world (in a good way). It almost feels like you're out walking on the road when you're walking around the perimeter.

Yea that's true I hate running and everyone outside can see my red face. But then again sometimes there's dodgy people lurking around inside so its good piece of mind that someone around can see in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I was in the park monday morning 10 am walking the dog.The sun was shinning,there was serveral people walking dog´s,running,there was two women with kid´s in buggies doing aerobics by the fountain,there was a guy useing the streach area,a phototographer taking family portraits,guy´s in the skate board track and many other people just enjoying our park which was spotless and is looking it´s best for year´s,fair play to the council, and it struck me how lucky we are to have such a fantastic amenity in waterford that can be enjoyed by all walk´s of life.:cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Larger tree's around the perimeter as already noted would be great, this would seal the park off from the roads and soundproof it somewhat.

Whilst I don't run in Waterford much I have to say I really dislike the people's park for running, 1km marked loop is nice and all but the path they have for it is far too narrow and if you meet more the one person on it (or dog walkers etc) its awkward.

I think its an awful shame they got rid of the cycle track, surely we should have things to encourage people (especially kids) to do stuff that's healthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Bluezar wrote: »
    I think lights at night would be good but then I suppose you would attract a lot of scumbags down there drinking and acting the blagards!

They aren't there already?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

batm!ke wrote: »

Have the guards set up a mini station in the park to be manned at night to keep the bumscags out! Or at least have em do a walking patrol through every hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    They aren't there already?

Scumbags everywhere unfortunatley;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

The guards did you do a walk around in there every hour or so but I don't think there doing it any more.

Advertisement