Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Infraction in the Soccer Forum

Options
  • 23-08-2011 4:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

This morning I was infracted for back seat modding in the soccer forum. I feel this is grossly unfair and wish to challenge it.

I reported this post due to what I felt was the abusive nature of it.

Then I posted this post, specifically the last bit where I addressed newballsplease.

Then ician waded in with this post which I took exception to here
    It was completely unwarranted and over the top. I'm here trying to have a bit of reasoned debate. Maybe you like abuse and name calling but I for one won't stand for it.

This somehow has been infracted due to 'back seat moderation.' I fail to see how it is back seat moderation and I fail to see how it is infractionable. I felt that the post was abusive and I didn't feel I should have to tolerate it on the soccer forum, hence why I reported the original post.

After a PM exchange with Frisbee he told I should have reported ician's post if I felt it was an issue. Under what grounds should I have reported
    awe you poor thing
    ? That would have been farcical to say the least.

To be quite honest I'm flabergasted to have got this infraction, and really rather vexed. I wish for a c mod to investigate this as maybe some impartiality could finally be brought into this fiasco.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Do I have to sacrifice something to the Dipute Resoloution Gods in order to get this looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'll drop a PM to the Sports CMods.

Please remember that it is holiday time and some people are not around.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Back from holidays, looking at this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Having gone over the original thread, I can see both why you're annoyed and why you got the warning (and that's the first point, it's a warning, not an infraction).

Someone poked you; you got annoyed; you reported it. At that point, you'd done everything right and the original poker was lined up to be warned (and was). The problem is that after that point, instead of ignoring the original poker and letting the mods deal with it, you engaged with them and dragged on the spat for several more posts by that engagement; and that's why both of you were warned instead of just one.

To not do this would lead to utter chaos in very, very short order; so I can't say I think the warning should be rescinded.

I do think you should learn how to use the ignore function and from now on if you encounter such a situation, report the offending poster and then put them on your ignore list, and just forget about them; the moderators will take care of the rest, and you won't have added to their workload.

Sparks wrote: »
    Having gone over the original thread, I can see both why you're annoyed and why you got the warning (and that's the first point, it's a warning, not an infraction).

Thanks for taking the time to look over it. The problem is that even though it is only a warning within the soccer forum there is a 6 warning limit which if violated results in a 6 months ban. Obviously that isn't super desirable. It is because of this that I wish to have the warning cleared.
    Someone poked you; you got annoyed; you reported it. At that point, you'd done everything right and the original poker was lined up to be warned (and was). The problem is that after that point, instead of ignoring the original poker and letting the mods deal with it, you engaged with them and dragged on the spat for several more posts by that engagement; and that's why both of you were warned instead of just one.

Just one small area of dispute here. I didn't engage with the initial poker. Another poster came in with what I felt was a derisory tone to which I replied that I didn't think I should have to tolerate such abuse in the soccer forum.
    To not do this would lead to utter chaos in very, very short order; so I can't say I think the warning should be rescinded.

I do think you should learn how to use the ignore function and from now on if you encounter such a situation, report the offending poster and then put them on your ignore list, and just forget about them; the moderators will take care of the rest, and you won't have added to their workload.

I understand completely and with hindsight while I shouldn't have to justify myself, I also shouldn't have done it and have learnt for the next time.

Any chance I could get an Admin in to have a look at it? I want to have it cleared because I don't want it to go on my record and I don't want the threat of a 6 month ban. Therefore I want to appeal this to the highest power.

I didn't realise I was breaking the charter and to be honest back seat modding was the last thing going through my mind at the time. I merely felt that I shouldn't have to put up with abuse and that I shouldn't have to put up with ician's derisory tone.

Thanks for your time Sparks I do appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Can I have an Admin review this? Or is there a different body that investigate's Dispute Resoloution cases?

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the the yellow card but this is farcical.

Three days to get a c-mod to investigate, another three days for an Admin to take a look, I mean this is taking the píss lads.

If I had a seven day ban and it was overturned on the 6th day, well what's the point. How could you hope to redress the previous 6 days that were lost?

Try and sort it out.

Also so I don't have to repeat myself after this, can an admin investigate?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've reviewed the posts in question. I can't find any fault with Sparks' reasoning and see no reason to remove the card.

If you didn't feel that you should have to put up with ician's tone, then you should have reported the post. If you didn't think the post was worth reporting, then you should have ignored it.

Cool beans, I guess I can put a tick beside defending one's integrity in the old list of infractionable offences. Cheers for that.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Cool beans, I guess I can put a tick beside defending one's integrity in the old list of infractionable offences. Cheers for that.
    A more useful outcome would have been for you to understand why it's necessary for the moderators to try to prevent off-topic arguments and leave the moderating to them, but I guess I can't force you to learn a valuable lesson if you'd rather feel aggrieved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement