Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briarhill Roundabout Roadworks start in 2 weeks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Wow, never been so glad not to work in Briarhill anymore!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oh good god!

What are these ass-hats up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I wonder is it some sort of experiment to see how much motorists will put up with before they crack similar to Michael Douglas in Falling Down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'd say there's an awful lot of motorists who would "crack" -- whatever that may mean -- before they would switch to other modes of travel over manageable distances of, say, up to 8 km.

I can't stand sitting in traffic, so I avoid it like the plague whenever and wherever possible. I am constantly mystified, however, when large numbers of motorists seem to be able to endure sitting in extremely slow moving traffic when they could cover the same distance much faster even on foot. Then they go back and repeat the ordeal the very next day, and the day after that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I though this was binned?? City is bad enough to get around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

This makes no sense. Remove the roundabout and put in traffic lights? Surely that will cause more congestion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This makes no sense. Remove the roundabout and put in traffic lights? Surely that will cause more congestion.

The City manager was sufficiently exercised this morning to go and tell local councillor Frank Fahy that the Briarhill upgrade will cause no hassle at all....either during and after the works. The City manager did not deny the works are starting monday week either...or so I noticed.

Forgive me if I don't believe a single word of it...whatever about Frank Fahy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The City manager was sufficiently exercised this morning to go and tell local councillor Frank Fahy that the Briarhill upgrade will cause no hassle at all....either during and after the works. The City manager did not deny the works are starting monday week either...or so I noticed.

Forgive me if I don't believe a single word of it...whatever about Frank Fahy.

Was this on the local radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Computer says 'No'.....http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/Model.html

Pedestrians, cyclists and bus users would like to buy that computer a pint, or some chips, or whatever it's having itself...

• Advertisement

Delayed a fortnight ( only) . The chamber of commerce is going absolutely ape at the prospect but the lads running the corpo frankly don't give a ****e. There is no chance of these works finishing in 8 weeks, sure this is the same corpo that promised us the Séamus Quirke would be finished by October 2011 with not an inch completed and usable yet.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/21465-businesses-step-battle-against-new-traffic-policy
    An intensive lobbying campaign by the city’s business community is underway against Galway City Council’s controversial plans to remove two more of the city’s roundabouts.

Galway Chamber of Commerce and Galway City Business Association have united this week against divisive proposals for installing signalised ‘intelligent’ traffic lights in place of roundabouts.

Members of the two organisations, representing hundreds of businesses in the city, will ‘blitz’ City Councillors this weekend with emails and telephone calls, to put pressure on elected members to abandon the scheme to remove roundabouts.

In a last ditch attempt to scupper the roundabouts removal plans, their members have even been circulated with a list of Councillors phone numbers ahead of next week’s key vote on the removal of two more roundabouts from the N6.

A majority of ten Councillors have already voted in favour of removing one city roundabout, but at last Monday’s emergency meeting on traffic, some of them appeared to be ‘wavering’ in their support for scrapping more roundabouts.

Businesses have issued a stark warning that the scheme, known as the Bóthar Na dTreabh (N6) Multi-Modal Corridor, will drive day-shoppers, visitors and tourists away from the city; and will negatively impact on trade, which in turn will lead to job losses. Ten Councillors in June voted to remove the Lynch roundabout (Briarhill) and John Madden & Co contractors are due to begin work Monday fortnight, September 26.

This coming Monday night’s Council meeting, Councillors will vote on whether to remove two more roundabouts – Font (Tuam Road) and Morris (Ballybane Road).

Paul Faller Chairman of GCBA, which has 100 members employing 1,000 in the heart of the city, said: “We are not convinced that the removal of roundabouts will improve traffic flow. We are fearful that it will make the situation worse.”

Chamber CEO Michael Coyle said: “Shoppers and visitors are avoiding Galway City as they believe that delays at Moneenageisha and across the city will have a negative impact on their visit.”

• Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Monivea road is also being resurfaced from Monday 12th :o

Delayed a fortnight ( only) . The chamber of commerce is going absolutely ape at the prospect but the lads running the corpo frankly don't give a ****e. There is no chance of these works finishing in 8 weeks, sure this is the same corpo that promised us the Séamus Quirke would be finished by October 2011 with not an inch completed and usable yet.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/21465-businesses-step-battle-against-new-traffic-policy

If true, then there's something very seriously wrong. There is no way the SQR works will be completed in a month.

Do these procurement contracts have penalty clauses built in?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »

The problem with penalty clauses is that they sometimes see people doing mad things.

The landscaping contract for Doughiska Rd had one, so there were lads out working in the freezing cold last December to get the job finished. Firstly, it was cruel to have them working outside in that. Second, the work they did is likely to last for a lot less time that it should, because water will have frozen in cracks, which they built over. Later on, the ice melts, the water expands, hey presto, cracks in fresh stonework. Clever.

I don't know the details of SQR, and whether what happened there is due to incompetence, or just to the way the council manage risk. So I'm not willing to call it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The official notice that it is starting on the 26th was in the papers this week.
    It's to take 10 weeks if they delay it, it will run into the christmas shopping season and the traffic flow experts in the galway chamber will be whining again.

JustMary wrote: »
    The landscaping contract for Doughiska Rd had one, so there were lads out working in the freezing cold last December to get the job finished. Firstly, it was cruel to have them working outside in that. Second, the work they did is likely to last for a lot less time that it should, because water will have frozen in cracks, which they built over. Later on, the ice melts, the water expands, hey presto, cracks in fresh stonework. Clever.
    Thanks for posting this. I had a hunch at the time that it must be a penalty clause at work here. Was very tough to be working in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    If true, then there's something very seriously wrong. There is no way the SQR works will be completed in a month.

Maybe if council officials had bothered to make sure they owned the land before commencing work, it would have allowed the project to be finished sooner.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/19659-compensation-deal-set-end-quirke-road-crux

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

While trying not to sound like Sheldon in TBBT still have to point out this!

Maybe if council officials had bothered to make sure they owned the land before commencing work, it would have allowed the project to be finished sooner.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/19659-compensation-deal-set-end-quirke-road-crux

Not forgetting that the cycle lane at the Corrib Park end will go through Corrib Park ....or is that the pedestrians. Small issue of trees that nobody spotted, bet the cyclists start howling after christmas when they realise whats happening. :cool:

Not forgetting that the cycle lane at the Corrib Park end will go through Corrib Park ....or is that the pedestrians. Small issue of trees that nobody spotted, bet the cyclists start howling after christmas when they realise whats happening. :cool:

Any pictures?

• Advertisement

What's that? Save the trees and feck the cyclists?

Sheesh, even further down the food chain that I thought... :eek:

Is this the spot?

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=seamus+quirke+road,+galway&hl=en&ll=53.273747,-9.082282&spn=0.000026,0.02444&sll=53.553363,-8.305664&sspn=10.847582,25.026855&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.273697,-9.082585&panoid=IN6spJGQW_Udot3pg1Mq6w&cbp=12,281.28,,0,0

It was referred to on Boards in the past, use the search function.

I think you're right. I have a dim memory of something along those lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Dont worry about it. Our analysis is that at that point. The confident Irish cyclists will be in the bus lane or merging into the right hand lane to head for the uni via the roundabout. The remaining less confident Irish cyclists will be heading towards the uni on the footpath on the opposite side of the road. The lunatic cyclists will be cycling against the flow on the cycle path on the opposite side of the road.

There may be one or two German exchange students cycling by Corrib Park on the cycle path and wondering why there are English environmental activists spitting at them.

The lunatic cyclists will be cycling against the flow on the cycle path on the opposite side of the road.
    That simply means they will be crashing into each other not wobbling around in front of cars in a force 8 gale...so thats's OK then. :cool:

That simply means they will be crashing into each other not wobbling around in front of cars in a force 8 gale...so thats's OK then. :cool:

No but they will coming from wrong direction on the wrong side of the road for cars pulling out of the hospital to see them

No but they will coming from wrong direction on the wrong side of the road for cars pulling out of the hospital to see them

If ever karmic sh1t is to happen to a Galway cyclist best the karmic sh1t happens at the gate of the hospital.:cool:

May as well start the fundraising for the A&E trolley storage shed so.

If ever karmic sh1t is to happen to a Galway cyclist best the karmic sh1t happens at the gate of the hospital.:cool:

May as well start the fundraising for the A&E trolley storage shed so.

UHG itself is karmic sh1t.

As is Galway City's traffic congestion. Your karma just ran over your own dogma. (:cool:)

And you 'overran' yourself during your shallow dig for a trite aphorism. :D

Only cyclists will collide on the cycle path that GC and I were referring to.

• Advertisement

And you 'overran' yourself during your shallow dig for a trite aphorism. :D

Only cyclists will collide on the cycle path that GC and I were referring to.

Uh no unfortnately that wasn't my central point. In the international literature, the use of two- way roadside cycle tracks is associated with up to 12 fold increases in the rate of car/ bicycle collisions for the "wrongway cyclists" at every junction. Junction collisions already account for 75% of car bicycle collisions.

This is why it is the cyclists who are the most skeptical and even most derisive of proposals for roadside cyclepaths.

As a rule, in Irish "practice", roadside cycle facilities are intended to benefit motorists at the expense of the safety of cyclists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement