Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foster mares

Options
  • 23-08-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hi
    i have two orphan foals who are 3 months (they aren't twins) and i am looking for a foster mare. they are weaned already and are given pellets twice a day so the mare doesnt need to have milk as long as she can care for them as her own. i hope to keep the two foals for light work when they are older so i am looking for a mare to teach them manners. the mare will be well cared, we will pay for farrier costs and other care costs while on loan . if anybody has a old or quiet mare out of work avaible or knows of anybody who has one please (pm) me or reply to post thank you very much :)
    any advice will also be appricated very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Have you had a look at donedeal or maybe put an ad in the Irish Field/Farmer's Journal.

You could also try getting in touch with some local veterinary clinics and ask if they've heard of any foster mares.

Hope everything works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JennaJameson

If you're willing to take on a horse permanently, the Irish Horse Welfare Trust or ISPCA might also have mares that would be suitable. If not, I would certainly expect the IHWT to be able to point you in the right direction.

As Convert said, advertising your need may be your best bet. I'd also recommend DoneDeal.ie as well as the Stable to Stable forum, AllHorse.ie, Ireland's Equestrian Magazine, and Ireland's Horse and Pony Magazine. I would also consider advertising in English magazines, if no other avenue helps, as most Irish people I know who are involved in horses buy English magazines and not Irish ones.

Consider asking local vets, stud farms, riding schools etc. as they would all have contacts who may be able to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Sorry I'm only seeing this now, but wondering did you get a mare? or where are you based? You can PM if you like.
    I have a mare that would be suitable, she almost took over another mare's foal when she was in foal herself. She has no milk now obviously, but she is a really good horse and easy to handle. Only problem is we still have her 2 year old filly, who would be lost without her mammy. They aren't being used at the moment unfortunately.

Advertisement