Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cortez epoxy boards

Options
  • 23-08-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at cortez and NSP boards..both are expoxy. It'll be my 1st board, I'm happy enough with length etc, just wondering if any of you more experienced guys ride either and what you think of them? Dont want to buy a pop out like a bic, I like the shape of the cortez, nice flow to them.I'd rather hear from lads who have a few years behind them and actually know what they're talking about..the nets the net after all... :D
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

there's a few threads already on those boards ,just type it into search at the top of the forum and you should find them alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Cheers,
    dug up some useful stuff..gonna invest in a decent 5/3 wetsuit and keep renting boards till I've found one that suits me..I'm a total beginner, surfed at Bundoran, Tramore and Achill so far. I do a lot of climbing and mountaineering, have done for bout 15 years, but the sheer joy buzz I'm getting off catching what are probably ****ty waves and foam has me hooked! Lots to learn and lots of fun to be had in the process..I do notice from the forums here, theres the same snobbery and bullsh1t as we have in the climbing world..funny that, guess its just people afterall..oh well, I'll be the guy with the big cheesy grin on the crap board fallin off loads and loving it..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

ya get the snobbery everywhere, best thing ro do is do what ya think is best for yourself. Honestly,if you've gotten a good buzz off surfing,invest in a board.You'll save money over the renting.IMO learning on a rental or a foamy isn't really learning at all. I remember after starting and getting the hang of a board, I got my first board and it was like starting out all over again cause the feel of it was totally different. I myself have absolutely nothing against epoxy boards. I got a custom board last year.brought it out a few times and was so frustrated by it almost gave up surfing.Went back on an old shorter epoxy and loved it.One thing I would suggest though is avoid bics if you're gonna buy a board you wanna progress on.They're very durable but are heavy and compared to other boards similarly priced are harder to turn and do other stuff with just because of the weight. Cortez are fairly decent from my own experience with them.
    If you're starting out don't get a fibre glass board cause you will ding it or drop it cause you won't realise how fragile they are and end up with constant repair bills.

Best thing I ever heard when I started was that at least I was actually trying and out there doing instead of sittin on me arse wishing I was. Enjoy it and just don't expect to learn over night and you'll be surfing for life. Years of surfing and I still have more bad days than good , but at least I have the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Cortez boards are fine but ding easy, nsp boards just don't age well. Plenty of good wetsuit offers at mo so you should pick one up cheaply.

For a board you can't go wrong with a 8 ft mal from glide

As for climbing I sold my rack last year:(

Thanks Lads,
    Just feel like I dont know enough about the boards yet to invest..I dont have 2-3 hundred to throw around on something I'm not going to be absolutely happy with..I want to know more about the shapes, what they're likely to mean on how the board rides etc. I can imagine small changes to a surface gliding on water will make a vast difference. I've seen guys surfing decently on school foamies for a laugh so obviously its more to do with your skills than the board to begin with but still I'd like to pick up something that suits..collecting wetsuit today, got a good discount price on o neill epic 2 5/3. It'll pay to be able to stay in the water.
    Rodento..you sold your rack?? Did a little piece of your soul not fall off??:)

• Advertisement

didds wrote: »
    Thanks Lads,
    Just feel like I dont know enough about the boards yet to invest..I dont have 2-3 hundred to throw around on something I'm not going to be absolutely happy with..I want to know more about the shapes, what they're likely to mean on how the board rides etc. I can imagine small changes to a surface gliding on water will make a vast difference. I've seen guys surfing decently on school foamies for a laugh so obviously its more to do with your skills than the board to begin with but still I'd like to pick up something that suits..collecting wetsuit today, got a good discount price on o neill epic 2 5/3. It'll pay to be able to stay in the water.
    I've still got my boots and chalk bag, so hoping you'll throw me a rope every now and than...

rodento wrote: »
    Thanks Lads,
    I've still got my boots and chalk bag, so hoping you'll throw me a rope every now and than...

Absolutely no prob there. Had couple of great days surfing and bouldering in tramore. Great buzz. Where you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BB_1983

Hi,
    I posted the same question on another forum a while back,
    Rented cortez and nsp myself for a good while before investing, was goin to buy a cortez but then put an extra 50 euro with it and got a new epoxy custom from westbay up north.
    http://www.westbaysurfboards.co.uk/hybrid/
    Delighted since with my decision after weeks researching and pricing online,
    I got a 7.10 hybrid, ive found it great, its epoxy so very durable, Ive been throwing it around now for a year and half and only the other week picked up my first (very slight) crack on the rail which I think happened in the car. I think this is a good record for a first board. Ive come on heaps since. Great service, you can buy of the rack or order one to be made to suit with whatever paint you want and itll take 4 weeks to be delivered, at the time it cost me 380euro with bag and leash delivered to door. Ive surfed friends boards since both irish custom and pop out and happy with the one I chose, It has a pointy nose and some other features which differ from the normal mal's. Worth checking out, I highly recommend, Good luck with your buy whatever you decide, Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

I want to know more about the shapes, what they're likely to mean on how the board rides etc. I can imagine small changes to a surface gliding on water will make a vast difference. I've seen guys surfing decently on school foamies for a laugh so obviously its more to do with your skills than the board to begin with

Hi Didds and welcome to surfing,

The first stage in being able to tell the difference in board shapes is to get to know one board really well first. In any event this is a skill that takes most people a long time to acquire. If you keep renting you will be on different boards all the time and will severly limit yourself as to when and where you can surf.

Get a good second hand board and dont be too hung up on shape etc as long as its a good learing shape (ie not too small). A decent second hand board will hold its value so you wont loose much when you move on.

Based in Dalkey:D

• Advertisement

Hi, just thought this little update may help someone else out there in same position. So, bought a 5/3 oneill epic wetsuit...worth its weight..comfortable to stay in the water for 6hrs odd without a bother on me. My girlfriend got the same suit for ladies and absolutely loves it as well. Pretty much been out every weekend for the past while, teaching myself the basics, obsessing over watching surfers paddling out, catching waves. Viewing diet consists of surfing vids (loads on the net) and Trying out the lessons from them .... Eg, the extra paddles for speed when catching a wave, how to shift my weight to turn up and down, extending and compressing my body and using mt breath to help that..these things made a huge difference. Been putting in pool time too as I live in the mountains a couple of hours from the sea. Helps a lot.
    I hunted for a second hand board and finally found a 7'6" circle one epoxy mini mal in perfect condition, not so much as a little pressure ding, for a great price and am chuffed with it. So, now I guess its get out as much as humanly possible..
    Does the assembled wisdom of this forum think there is any value in coaching lessons? I know with climbing, I can make a huge difference to a clients skills and movement, so I suppose its true also of surfing ...
    Anyone been down that road?
    Thanks. P.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Coaching can make a big difference, you'll learn/improve more a day or two getting coached than you would in a month of practicing on your own. Plus they'll point exactly where you need to improve and you'll know what you need to work on yourself then.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Coaching can make a big difference, you'll learn/improve more a day or two getting coached than you would in a month of practicing on your own. Plus they'll point exactly where you need to improve and you'll know what you need to work on yourself then.

Any recommendations? Don't mind travelling if it'll be a useful session. Rather have a surfer who instructs rather than a instructor who surfs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had weekend at Ben's surf clinic in lahinch, well worth it.

Thanks. I'll check it out. The weekend sessions seem like a good deal.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

So, bought a 5/3 oneill epic wetsuit...worth its weight..comfortable to stay in the water for 6hrs odd without a bother on me.

Can I ask what you are doing in the water for 6 hours? I need a break of at least 30mins after 2h, otherwise I'm too knackered to get my sequence right and mess up the easiest waves.
    Does the assembled wisdom of this forum think there is any value in coaching lessons? I know with climbing, I can make a huge difference to a clients skills and movement, so I suppose its true also of surfing ...
    Anyone been down that road?

Yes, I have. Take lessons dude, before you put a lot of effort into teaching yourself bad habits.
    Can only second Mickeroo's suggestion, Ben will spot your issues and take corrective measures, at the same time keeping everyone motivated as his coaching style is fun. I had booked in for a weekend in April, he keeps groups small (no more than 6), and 2 guys are usually coaching.
    He does weekends (4 water lessons + video analysis and theory) and adapts to the ability of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Can I ask what you are doing in the water for 6 hours? I need a break of at least 30mins after 2h, otherwise I'm too knackered to get my sequence right and mess up the easiest waves.
    Ive gone 4 hours myself before a few times. often 3 hours if its good.

Shur its different for everyone depending on the conditions and how fit you are

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

I've done 7hrs in the water with short breaks, did this when I was starting out when the waves were good, to get as much time in the water as possible. good days fun:)

So, just a little update...havent had a chance to get to a surf clinic, but been doing my best to get out even if its only to practice paddling..had an evening on the board I bought a week ago down in tramore , 1st time out with it was amazingly fustrating..took me an hour just to find the sweetspot to simply catch a wave lying down on it..once I did though, I couldnt get up on the thing..was comtemplating selling it on for a longer board..the waves were small though and I wound up hiring a longer foamy to have a go with..
    Today though was entirely different, as soon as I hit the water, it was a consistent wave catching (bigger today) session. Managed to get up and ride it in a couple of times too.. delighted.. found it quite fast, love the feel of it..now, it'll be a matter of practice practice practice and more practice..
    I suppose the point of this post is just to say cheers for all the advice and support and to say for anyone in the same boat, today I laughed my ass off all day getting battered by the waves and heavy winds..nothing like it to revive the body and soul..defintiely hooked for life!!

Glad to hear you're making progress! Keep it up!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement