Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blabbed too early

Options
  • 23-08-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

Hi, i just found out last night that i am pregnant, absolutely delighted. My best friend and mum knew we were trying so told them both. but also blabbed to 2 friends in work. I'm approx 5 weeks. Now regretting telling everyone so soon. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Why??

I told people that I was pregnant when I was 8 weeks... it just meant that if I lost the baby I'd have support around me... rather than going through it alone if I didn't tell anyone... but that's just me... I felt I'd need that support if something did go wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Don't worry about it I waited till 11 weeks couldn't wait any longer and now wish I had told my sisters and brothers before. My sister says the same about hers she waited till after 12 weeks to tell all us

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 beanser

Ah don't worry, I found waiting till 12 weeks the hardest thing ever!! It was really stressful as there were 3 family occasions where it was obvious I wasn't drinking, and it's not that easy to keep coming up with excuses!

There was little point keeping it secret anyway, the two girls in work had worked it out anyway, so had my sister in law.

It's nice that you have other people to share the excitement, congratulations!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ah don't worry about it! Like January said, it's only a safeguard in case things go wrong. I would have blabbed to the world if it wasn't for my hubby keeping me gagged till 12 weeks! :D I wouldn't mind we ended up having a miscarriage last year and we had to tell some of the family anyhow so we had a babysitter when I was going to the hospital :rolleyes:

Congratulations btw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

yeah dont be stressing.. I himmmmmed and hawwwed about telling my family, and told them all at 6 weeks cuz i couldnt keep my gob shut... going to tell more of the family on monday.. I'm just tooo god damned excited to keep quite :p many congrats :D and enjoy telling people... i surely did :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Suucee wrote: »
    Hi, i just found out last night that i am pregnant, absolutely delighted. My best friend and mum knew we were trying so told them both. but also blabbed to 2 friends in work. I'm approx 5 weeks. Now regretting telling everyone so soon. :confused:

My OH told everyone when she was pregnant with our daughter pretty much as soon as she knew. Even after telling me to tell no-one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I'd say tell anyone that you want, whenever you want, just make sure that they are people who you'd be ok sharing bad news with too. Personally, I am not good about keeping my private life private, but a lot of people aren't comfortable with sharing bad news willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

We each told 1 friend when we found out (4 -5 weeks), told immediate family after a scan at 8 weeks & everyone else after 12 week scan. I would have held off telling family until after 12 weeks, but my other half was bursting with the news, so I couldn't hold him off anymore.

A girl I work with told us when she was about 3 weeks 1 year & then lost the baby. I thought that was a tad early, as it's basically just a missed period. Thought she'd hold off telling people until she was a bit further along the next time, but again she told us all at 4 weeks & had a baby girl in June, so it's all up to the individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 5 penguins bars

I felt the same op, I accidentally blurted out to a work colleague that I was expecting, she then told someone else who also told someone else.

I was a cross of panicked (because I hadn't told any of my own family yet/fear of 'putting a jinx' on things) but felt really annoyed at myself for telling her in the first place.

I'm glad now that I did though, as it made me tell my sister & she's been great when I've been dying with morning sickness/bringing me in nice treats for lunch in work :)

I still haven't told my parents yet as I want to wait to the 8 week mark when I get my scan to ensure all is ok.

I think foxinsocks advice is very good. I told people very early on last time but some people that I didn't know particularly well. When I went on to have a miscarriage a fortnight later, I felt really awkward putting them in the position where I had to tell them.

Congrats on your pregnancy & enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There's no right or wrong time to tell. We told people once we found out I was pregnant and didn't see any point in keeping it a secret.

I could tell when most of my friends and colleagues were pregnant long before they told people so a bit pointless keeping it a secret anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Look if things are going to go wrong they will go wrong regardless of who knows about the baby.

I have been pregnant in other countries and there was no waiting until 12 weeks there, people told others as soon as they wanted to. There is no "rule" as such.

Congratulations x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I told the everyone as soon as I knew I was pregnant on all 4 of mine..... I just can't do secrets at all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wooly Woo

Suucee don't worry, first time I was pg I told my work colleagues (girls only, not many girls in our dept) because I was so excited. I was only 4 weeks and miscarried at 5 weeks 5 days. While some would say it's a bit early to tell, given what happened, I don't regret it because I had wonderful support.

I am happy to say that I found out I was pregnant again last year and told the girls in work when I was coming up to four weeks. No regrets there either, and I now have a beautiful daughter!

Advertisement