Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Computer Science!!

Options
  • 23-08-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I am incoming first year to Computer Science in UCD!.

I was just wondering whats the story with the modules for First years as on the site it says they are on a first come first serve basis and then there is a huge list of them.

Also I applied for accommodation and i am on number 2660 for the waiting list. What are realistically chances of me getting accommodation ? And should I starting looking for it elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

You mind showing me were you're looking? Going in to 2nd year, should be able to help.

Ah, have a look here. Comp Sci core modules These are the ones you are doing.

Can't help on the accommodation unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

And you don't do any optional one ?

You get to pick 2 outside of your course modules. I did intro to calculus, and web design and analytics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 rgdaxter

bigred100 wrote: »
    You get to pick 2 outside of your course modules. I did intro to calculus, and web design and analytics.
    Any idea whether getting a mac book pro or a windows based laptop for the course?

rgdaxter wrote: »
    Any idea whether getting a mac book pro or a windows based laptop for the course?

This still splits the class...

I have a windows machine. Some guys have Macs. Just go with what you want really. Macs seem the least stressful for programming from what I've seen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rgdaxter

This still splits the class...

I have a windows machine. Some guys have Macs. Just go with what you want really. Macs seem the least stressful for programming from what I've seen anyway.
    But the price of them ain't pretty. I think I will stick to windows. Thanks for your help.

But the price of them ain't pretty. I think I will stick to windows. Thanks for your help.

I know man, thats why I don't have one ;)

Same here, looks like Dell will have to do the job!

• Advertisement

Anyone know what date college opens for CS?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

doctorg wrote: »
    Anyone know what date college opens for CS?
    Well lectures start on the 12th of September for everyone, but since you're a first year then you'll be heading in the week before for registration and what not. You should get an email about what specific days to go in on.
    Here's the term dates from the UCD site.

Also, as for whether a Mac or PC is better for programming, it really doesn't matter which you have in first or second year. A lot of us had netbooks and they worked fine for everything we had to do for both years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

Those modules are also so much fun!! You'll enjoy them loads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

bitOfAShot (and little to do with the OP) .... but...

Anyone have 3rd year Comp lecture notes? :D

MariaBabii wrote: »
    Those modules are also so much fun!! You'll enjoy them loads ;)

They've got better times though from the look of it...our feedback must have been listened to

No way :eek: .. I didn't even notice that ya could see the times when the classes are! Have we many early starts, i couldnt be bothered in going through all the times now :P .. Oh btw are we registering tomorrow or Thurs? :D

MariaBabii wrote: »
    No way :eek: .. I didn't even notice that ya could see the times when the classes are! Have we many early starts, i couldnt be bothered in going through all the times now :P .. Oh btw are we registering tomorrow or Thurs? :D

We're tomorrow I think, I've been told our schedule isn't too bad. Don't think there's any 9am. But don't hold me to that.

Aw i really hope your right!! Ah thats gay, i was hoping it was Thurs cos im off on Thurs, but guess im gettin up early before work to register :( .. Dya know any easy modules t pick? :D

I wish I knew a few easy modules to pick. Gonna get stuck doing an extra maths again or some crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Cygni

Here's the term dates from the UCD site.

Orientation for a whole frugal week? Ah hell, I always suck at that $h!7 .. -.-

• Advertisement

Cygni wrote: »
    Orientation for a whole frugal week? Ah hell, I always suck at that $h!7 .. -.-
    You can get a course-specific timetable here, telling you what days to go in on and when.

You can get a course-specific timetable here, telling you what days to go in on and when.

There's something missing from that orientation we had to do that resulted in sore bodies and damaged egos.

There's something missing from that orientation we had to do that resulted in sore bodies and damaged egos.
    Just when I had finally gotten rid of those memories... Computer science isn't supposed to be fit!

The new 1st years are lucky, the 2nd years can actually help them if they ask. We got stuck with a new course so no help for us :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Let's never mention that day again.

Healium wrote: »
    Let's never mention that day again.

I went to play football after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Yeah, well, you ate breakfast and didn't spend the day puking up bananas and Lucozade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

OSI wrote: »
    Pick anything taught by Joe Carthy.

LOL.Very true.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The new 1st years are lucky, the 2nd years can actually help them if they ask. We got stuck with a new course so no help for us :mad:

If you ever whinge about having a good course again, jab yourself in the eye >_>

• Advertisement

:D

I appreciate the new course, but being the testers for it is never great. By the looks of it the new guys will have a nicer timetable than us for one. Although one of the lads from my year might be making some practicals for them...fair to say they could be screwed.

Advertisement