Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Computer Science!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

OSI wrote: »
    Pick anything taught by Joe Carthy.

I think Joe has been promoted to another position so you probably wont see his name on any of the modules this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

What electives are most useful to take with CS tomorrow ?? First year btw

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

doctorg wrote: »
    What electives are most useful to take with CS tomorrow ?? First year btw

Don't know about useful but I'd highly recommend Intro to Cognitive Science as the most interesting and fun elective I've ever taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mc_teo

Hello, I'm doing Computer Science too.

I was just wondering about the orientation week, our course timetable has us starting on thursday, right? do we go up for monday then anyway? and if we only get our student card on that thursday, what do we use in the mean time for campus accommodation?

Also, I use Ubuntu as my primary OS, I presume this is okay too? I have Windows 7 dualbooting, so I can use that if need be.

mc_teo wrote: »
    Also, I use Ubuntu as my primary OS, I presume this is okay too? I have Windows 7 dualbooting, so I can use that if need be.

I've used Linux as my primary OS throughout my degree (going into 4th year now). You can get through the entire degree without having to use Windows, however I found myself booting into it for 1 class in 1st year and another in second. Both were using Microsoft software and I didn't want to deal with wine. The class in 1st year has changed so you wont need to use Windows for it. On an additional note, I like the cut of your jib! Join NetSoc ;)

With regards the student card stuff... unless I'm mistaken / it's changed I'm pretty sure you can pick it up whenever no? You could just walk in there on Monday and get it? Check with the student desk.

• Advertisement

Yeah, considering we were asked/made to upload a photo already, I would imagine all the student cards are made already, so picking them up shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Just my modules to pick now, and I'll be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Bingo, the old way was sit down, prove ID, take photo, print card. Now the photo bit is pre-done. Much better way of doing things, was in and out really fast getting my new card.

Yeah I intended to join some tech related societies fairly early on. I'm fairly comfortable at the auld ones and noughts so I was looking for something interesting to do.

What sort of elective's would you reccommend? I wanted to try my hand at that robot building module, but I need to do an introduction course for first semester as my other elective, which I think is kind of a waste of my second elective.

I would of like to try some science modules too (mainly physics as our school didn't have a teacher for my Leaving Cert. and had to Applied Maths outside of school completely) but I can't seem to get any to fit with my core modules. Actually it's hard to find any that fit, in general, and usually just one period a week overlaps too. Makes me wonder of the importance of attending all core classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Will the first year CS people be going the same "Intro to Programming I & II" as the other Science people can pick optionally? (which I did :P).

Also, what are some good tech related societies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

._. wrote: »
    Will the first year CS people be going the same "Intro to Programming I & II" as the other Science people can pick optionally? (which I did :P).

Nope, they do a separate one completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Yeah I intended to join some tech related societies fairly early on. I'm fairly comfortable at the auld ones and noughts so I was looking for something interesting to do.

What sort of elective's would you reccommend? I wanted to try my hand at that robot building module, but I need to do an introduction course for first semester as my other elective, which I think is kind of a waste of my second elective.

I would of like to try some science modules too (mainly physics as our school didn't have a teacher for my Leaving Cert. and had to Applied Maths outside of school completely) but I can't seem to get any to fit with my core modules. Actually it's hard to find any that fit, in general, and usually just one period a week overlaps too. Makes me wonder of the importance of attending all core classes.

The maths one?? Unless they changed it already you don't have to do that, I was 1st year last year.

bigred100 wrote: »
    The maths one?? Unless they changed it already you don't have to do that, I was 1st year last year.

I'm not sure, it just lists Electronic&Electrical I (EEEN10010) as a Co-Requisite. My friend in Omnibus Engineering says he has that as a core, so perhaps you would of had it too?

I'm not sure, it just lists Electronic&Electrical I (EEEN10010) as a Co-Requisite. My friend in Omnibus Engineering says he has that as a core, so perhaps you would of had it too?

Ohhh you meant an intro course before the robot stuff, that makes more sense. Thought you were talking about the optional maths for science students taking up one of your slots for electives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

tbh, that Eng course would come in handier than most electives you'd ever do in your time in college.

If you can fit in some physics that might be a good one to take as well.

Which course? the introduction to electronics, or the robot design?

Just wondering, could first year computer science student pick level 2 electives like Intro to Cognitive Science, and Web Design? If so, is it recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Just wondering, could first year computer science student pick level 2 electives like Intro to Cognitive Science, and Web Design? If so, is it recommended?

Yes to the former, no to the latter. :D

Yes to the former, no to the latter. :D

I have 6 core modules in semester 1 and 4 in semester 2, its quite difficult to find modules that fit my timetabel :(

I even went so far as to make a python script to scrape the times for every module available the university and cross reference the times with my core. it saves some amount of time, compared to doing it manually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

A good trick for electives is to tick LEVEL 0!!! These are classes that anyone can do so it's nobody core module!

Sector analysis is one and is simple - pick a sector give a presentation hey presto A+

Joe is no longer the head of Comp Sci John Dunnion is if anyone wants books I have a few http://www.adverts.ie/841334

Also Mac's save you ALOT of time as the years go on - saves you installing loads and loads of programs :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

bigred100 wrote: »
    Ohhh you meant an intro course before the robot stuff, that makes more sense. Thought you were talking about the optional maths for science students taking up one of your slots for electives.

in my optional module, intro to maths is there but when I register to it, it is conflicting with other core modules. I didn't get the c3 in maths so it said i had to register to it but since is conflicts what do I do now? Also what is a useful semester 1 module? I took web design for semester 2.
    Thanks!

Do you want a semester 1 elective to choose as a module - really it depends on your timetable I could recommend a few but they might not suit you or your timetable but click level 0 when looking up electives it's a good trick that most people forget to do!

They are usually easy and little work so you can focus on core subjects.

3rd year lecture notes for which classes?

jenniem01 wrote: »
    Also Mac's save you ALOT of time as the years go on - saves you installing loads and loads of programs :-)

What programs are you referring to?

doctorg wrote: »
    in my optional module, intro to maths is there but when I register to it, it is conflicting with other core modules. I didn't get the c3 in maths so it said i had to register to it but since is conflicts what do I do now? Also what is a useful semester 1 module? I took web design for semester 2.
    Thanks!

That's the one we didn't have to do, and as it clashes I'm guessing you still don't have to.

Useful module for semester 1...would that not make your timetable 7 in 1st sem and 5 in 2nd? Or did they change the timetable?

For performance evaluation - Windows is pretty useless and my class had to install virtual box and then jboss dbderby and all these kinda programs and Mac had BigTop which made my life a hell of a lot easier!

A giant plus to Mac programming is that you have access to all the UNIX-type stuff in a way which is a part of the OS, as opposed to on a PC, where it all needs to be added on.

Try Java, PHP, Perl, C, and C++. Also AppleScript and Xcode (Think VB.NET for the Mac but based on C, Applescript, or Java). These are all free with every Mac. Nothing to download or buy.

Saves partitioning harddrives or installing silly virtual box - that just constantly crashes.
    :-)

Alternatively, if you don't want to pay 3/4 times cost for your computer, put Linux on it. Pretty sure all of the above is true for it also.

bitOfAShot (and little to do with the OP) .... but...

Anyone have 3rd year Comp lecture notes? :D

What 3rd year lecture notes? Do you have a module in mind that your looking for?!

Go onto the moodle and most don't have enrolement keys you can get on and look at lecture notes or just say which class and I'm sure people still have them..

jenniem01 wrote: »
    For performance evaluation - Windows is pretty useless and my class had to install virtual box and then jboss dbderby and all these kinda programs and Mac had BigTop which made my life a hell of a lot easier!

A giant plus to Mac programming is that you have access to all the UNIX-type stuff in a way which is a part of the OS, as opposed to on a PC, where it all needs to be added on.

Try Java, PHP, Perl, C, and C++. Also AppleScript and Xcode (Think VB.NET for the Mac but based on C, Applescript, or Java). These are all free with every Mac. Nothing to download or buy.

Saves partitioning harddrives or installing silly virtual box - that just constantly crashes.
    :-)

I think you're getting not using windows and exclusively using Mac mixed up.

No just explaining how windows users had to spend alot more time doing a similar task in comparison to a Mac user.

The programs they needed to install :-)

• Advertisement

Mac != !Windows.

!Windows = Mac + Linux + BSD + Solaris + OtherstuffI'veforgotten

Advertisement