Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Computer Science!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Raphael wrote: »
    Mac != !Windows.

!Windows = Mac + Linux + BSD + Solaris + OtherstuffI'veforgotten

This. This man knows things.

What I meant jennie is that you're implying these things are unique to Mac when in fact Mac inherits them from the BSD branch it's forked from. No first year needs to run out and purchase a Mac to do any of the things you've listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

But a first year shall become a 2nd and then 3rd and probably a 4th year. I did not say they HAD to buy a Mac I said it made my life a hell of a lot easier!!!

Sorry if I hurt Windows feelings!!!!!!! :-D

jenniem01 wrote: »
    But a first year shall become a 2nd and then 3rd and probably a 4th year. I did not say they HAD to buy a Mac I said it made my life a hell of a lot easier!!!

Sorry if I hurt Windows feelings!!!!!!! :-D

You seem to be missing the point I'm trying to make. These features are not unique to Mac. They're inherited from the UNIX like base it was built upon. My replies have not been directed at encouraging people to use Windows but rather getting them to look at all their options rather than purchasing a Mac if they don't need one. Jennie I suggest you read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like

To any first years reading this, if you already have a laptop, like it and it works for you great. If not check out Ubuntu or Linux mint. They're both great starter operating systems.

If you're curious about a Mac and think it will suit your needs better for whatever reason buy one.

People should make an informed decision about this and use what works for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Implosiony

Here lads,

Is anyone actually going to that team-building thing tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

Everyone goes to the team building or at least they did last year - free BBQ and some companies come and give you an insight into their jobs its a great chance to network!!

If you don't know anyone entering Comp Sci it's nice to get to know your classmates because alot of work is team orientated!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Go to all your orientation stuff is my recommendation to everyone. You'll meet people a lot easier this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Hey guys, just wondering how does the GPA work for computer science? Are each years divided into some percentage towards the degree, and if so how much is each year worth?

doctorg wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering how does the GPA work for computer science? Are each years divided into some percentage towards the degree, and if so how much is each year worth?

This depends. If you're doing the BSc degree then it's 100% 4th year. If you're doing the now depreciated BA degree then it's split evenly over the 36 modules you do between 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Hey guys, just wondering how does the GPA work for computer science?

it is more or less similar to everyone else
    A 1st is 101110000
    and 2.1 is 100110100
    and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

TDOie wrote: »
    This depends. If you're doing the BSc degree then it's 100% 4th year. If you're doing the now depreciated BA degree then it's split evenly over the 36 modules you do between 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.

How do we know which degree are we doing?? I am a first year and I don't remember ever having an option to pick. So in the BSc it would be possible to get a first class degree from the fourth year.

doctorg wrote: »
    How do we know which degree are we doing?? I am a first year and I don't remember ever having an option to pick. So in the BSc it would be possible to get a first class degree from the fourth year.

You're doing the BSc. The BA didn't accept entry the year you entered. It's being retired as such.

You can get D-'s in all your exams don't worry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Ah ten years out and all i can say is joe and rem are deadly. Also, if you have no clue MAKE a demonstrator sit down and SHOW you how its done. Its their job. Otherwise it will be all self taught which takes so much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Also, if you don't get at least a 2.2 ( ~C average) for 3rd year, you graduate with an ordinary degree rather than going into 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Raphael wrote: »
    Also, if you don't get at least a 2.2 ( ~C average) for 3rd year, you graduate with an ordinary degree rather than going into 4th year.

When I was going into 4th yr (just graduated), we had to get a 2.48 GPA in order to move into 4th year, which is between a D+ and C-.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Xhristy wrote: »

Isn't a 2.2's (Old system) lower limit 2.48(GPA)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Fad wrote: »
    Isn't a 2.2's (Old system) lower limit 2.48(GPA)?
    This, meant 2.2 as in Second Class Honours, grade 2. Apologies for confusement. And it is somewhere between a D+ and a C- alright, actually now that I think of it closer to the D+ end. Though better to aim for the C- side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement