Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Digital Media First Year

• 23-08-2011 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi. Can't wait to start this course! does anyone know what the timetable/hours like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Various threads on this already from previous years, if you run a search in this forum you'll find them.

Here's two of interest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61502931

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61644086

Timetable for all courses change every year. Being a first year though, you'll prob get a day off, or at least one or two half days.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

We had 22 hours in semester one. 10 hours of lectures and the rest was in lab tutorials (strongly advise you to go). Cant remember what we had in semester two but it was along the same lines i think. If there is anything else you want to know just ask.

Its a really interesting course, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JM91

We had 22 hours in semester one. 10 hours of lectures and the rest was in lab tutorials (strongly advise you to go). Cant remember what we had in semester two but it was along the same lines i think. If there is anything else you want to know just ask.

Its a really interesting course, enjoy!

Thanks for you're help! Do you need many books or anything else? are there just two separate classes for level 7 and level 8?

No books needed at all. Everything is handed out to you. A few folders would be handy because there can be a fair amount of sheets!

A decent external hard-drive is the only thing you have to buy. Get a good one though, i got a cheapish one and ended up losing all my work when it broke.

Level 7 and 8 are mixed in together. As far as i know everyone is together until the end of year 3.

Have you already got a laptop or are you going to be buying one soon?

No books needed at all. Everything is handed out to you. A few folders would be handy because there can be a fair amount of sheets!

A decent external hard-drive is the only thing you have to buy. Get a good one though, i got a cheapish one and ended up losing all my work when it broke.

Level 7 and 8 are mixed in together. As far as i know everyone is together until the end of year 3.

Have you already got a laptop or are you going to be buying one soon?

oh that's handy! is everyone in the same class or are there two? I just bought a laptop a few weeks ago to have if I was offered a place. I didn't buy a mac but got one with an amazing graphics card for using photoshop etc.

• Advertisement

There are 3 groups (a, b ,c) everybody is in the one room for lectures and for labs you are split up into your groups.

You did right :D A mac isnt necessary. I have one and it is really handy but there is more than enough lab time to use the mac's in college. There is a full room of them that only CDM students are allowed to use aswell so there is time to do assignments.

Everything else is handed out by the lecturers like cameras, mics, tripods etc. Just dont break 'em or take 'em!

There are 3 groups (a, b ,c) everybody is in the one room for lectures and for labs you are split up into your groups.

You did right :D A mac isnt necessary. I have one and it is really handy but there is more than enough lab time to use the mac's in college. There is a full room of them that only CDM students are allowed to use aswell so there is time to do assignments.

Everything else is handed out by the lecturers like cameras, mics, tripods etc. Just dont break 'em or take 'em!

Sounds good I can't wait :D!!! Thanks for all the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Flynn1

Hey I'm starting Creative Digital Media this year too! :D

Where ya from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blue Velvet

Hello

I too am going to be a first year student at ITB studying creative digital media. I cannot wait to start, I'm from south Dublin and will be driving to the college, does anybody know about traffic in the mornings around the Blanchardstown area?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FB5

what part of dublin are you leaving from? Will you be going m50 or back roads?

• Advertisement

Apparently, this is from other people, but APPARENTLY the village in Blanchardstown is packed full of traffic in the mornings, and its impossible to get a parking spot on the campus, so get in there early! :(

What part of South Dublin? Any chance of a lift some mornings? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

I'm also going to be a First Year studying Creative Digital Media at ITB :D Can't wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

hey guys/girls.Welcome to CDM. If your driving from South Dub-when coming down the M3)towards Cavan/Navan, go past the turn that brings you into Blanchardstown TOWN, and take the SECOND slip road after it going to the BLANCHARDSTOWN CENTER.this will bring you to a roundabout, where you will go right,.Then go straight through the next roundabout(about 20meters away) and go straight to the end of that road until you come to another roundabout(500meters) which is the ITB roundabout.Take the left, and welcome to college

Tony.

I'm from meath and will be getting a bus most days

Ahhh i cant wait for Thursday now :D

I take it all of the other first year CMD people are coming to the barbecue yeah?I wouldnt mind getting to know a few people before monday! Maybe a few beers yeah? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

Yep I'll be at the BBQ :)

Edit: Made my way into the place today to try and get a bearing on the area, route I'll be travelling on etc. as I have no sense of direction, and don't travel very often. Hopefully I won't get lost on my way in tomorrow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HeresToArthur

JM91 wrote: »
    Hi. Can't wait to start this course! does anyone know what the timetable/hours like?
    You'll really enjoy this course. Your class will probably be broken up into three or four groups, and each group will have a different timetable to facilitate the mac labs and the different subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HeresToArthur

each group in your class will have a different timetable, so when you get it you can then make your plans.:D

The different groups is to facilitate the amount of people in the mac labs and the amount of courses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 mangsta

Great Course
    Alot Of Options Once You Graduate

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mushaboom

Is there a decent amount of web design and development in this course or is it more broad, encompassing all media?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there are 2 web development modules in first year, then 2 web design modules in 2nd year focusing on dreamweaver/html and css style sheets. 2nd year also brings 2 adobe flash/actionscript based modules. In third year there is php for content management systems and 4th year brings more php so plenty of web development on the course. Some students feel that the course is too heavily focused on the web. The course also has many video modules and a few sound modules in 3rd/4th year.

Thanks for the reply Gonzo, can I also ask what kind of hours is it? I have a toddler and I'm trying to figure out how much childminding time I'd need.

Would anyone be able to email me last semesters timetable? I'm wondering about the hours.

Can't speak for CDM but I'm pretty sure every course has less hours than last year with budget cuts.

I only have 16hrs of class per week on comp sci.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Can't speak for CDM but I'm pretty sure every course has less hours than last year with budget cuts.

I only have 16hrs of class per week on comp sci.

/momentary thread derailing

What makes you think it's budget cuts?

Be there not 1 lecture and 1 lab for said lecture in each module every week?

Did they cut down on lab/lecture time?

I've the same hours anyway. 6 lectures in each 6 modules, each lasting 2 hours, and for each module, a 2 hour lab. 24 hours in total, same as last year and the year before etc more or less.

Joker, your in sem 6 right? Does the group project have a lecture/lab? If not you've only 4 modules x2hrs + 4 labs x 2hrs = 16 hours? Is that not the same as previous years?

@mushaboom: I'm assuming you're wondering about the first year hours based on your posts above? They've 6 modules in first year, and I think the lecture times/tutorials are 2 hours same as comp sci, so prob around 24 hours a week in class/tutorials, not counting the possible time gaps in-between classes which can sometimes be an hour or two.

KonFusion wrote: »
    Joker, your in sem 6 right? Does the group project have a lecture/lab? If not you've only 4 modules x2hrs + 4 labs x 2hrs = 16 hours? Is that not the same as previous years?
    Yeah forgot about that. That's an extra 3 hrs a week I believe, but they are not classes.

Also, for new first years, last year I was told by a lecturer that, they have 2 hours supervised and 2 hours unsupervised because of budget cuts.

Thanks Konfusion and Joker, a lecturer came into us this week and gave us the low down on the course.

Sounds like a really interesting course but I won't be joining you, I'm dead set on Web Design only. I'm hoping they extend the part time course, I'd love to continue on the modules from year 1. web design, web dev, multimedia authouring, Vis com... maybe add in CMS etc ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Gonzo wrote: »
    there are 2 web development modules in first year, then 2 web design modules in 2nd year focusing on dreamweaver/html and css style sheets. 2nd year also brings 2 adobe flash/actionscript based modules. In third year there is php for content management systems and 4th year brings more php so plenty of web development on the course. Some students feel that the course is too heavily focused on the web. The course also has many video modules and a few sound modules in 3rd/4th year.

one sound module. Sound Engineering, which was extremely basic. We were meant to have Music Technology in 4th year but they dropped it. I would be interested to know if it is on the agenda for other years as we were very let down it didnt go ahead for us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mushaboom wrote: »
    Thanks Konfusion and Joker, a lecturer came into us this week and gave us the low down on the course.

Sounds like a really interesting course but I won't be joining you, I'm dead set on Web Design only. I'm hoping they extend the part time course, I'd love to continue on the modules from year 1. web design, web dev, multimedia authouring, Vis com... maybe add in CMS etc ....

I do not think CMS will ever appear in 1st or 2nd year as it is by a country mile the most difficult module in 3rd year, many students this year found CMS a total struggle to say the least. It's a massive jump in learning curve from Multimedia scripting (flash actionscript) which takes place in 2nd year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

Don't know if this is the right thread or if anyone is using this still but does anyone know if the CDM course will go up by much points cus I am really worried I wont get this course cus I got 320 points last year for the LC and I think that was the points for this course so if they go up I definitely won't get it :(

Advertisement