Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening suit alterations

Options
  • 23-08-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Cant get a christening suot to fit ,my son, he is 9weeks old and weighs 11lbs but any of the suits iv seen would all be too big for him. I prices alterations and was told it would be 50-100euro, does anyone know anywhere in dublin city that does alterations at cheaper prices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Hi, I don't know when you need the suit for but I bought my daughters christening gown from this site:

http://www.christening-gowns.com/category/856/All_Boys_Christening_Outfits

They have a good selection of suits in smaller sizes.

Have to say their service was fantastic and I had the gown within a week of ordering it. Would highly recommend them.

Hope you get something sorted for your little man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Pinklady, thanks for that. Dont know about getting it over the internet... I would be afraid it wouldnt fit him and with the chistening being two weeks away i would be up sh** creek withouth a paddle if i got it in a weeks time and it was too small/big. Everywhere seems to do 0-6 months... Which i dont get because something that fits a baby of 6 months isnt going to fit a baby of 2months... A scam to make us have them altered. I was shocked at the price of altering a christening suit..the bloody thing is tiny and they want 50-100...he will be wearing it once! Thans for the suggestion tho:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

have you priced in another alternations shops. I know there is a few near me, I got swimsuit trousers altered for my daughter only cost €6. Do you know anybody handy with sewing machine, i'm imagine its a simple enough job.

Aparantley the smaller the garment the harder the job, dont know anyone who can do it... Its so much money for one day.. Id much rather be spending the money on actual things for baby. Aw well, i guess il just have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That's a massive cost for alterations. It would cost that to make the thing including drafting the thing.

Try the arts and crafts part of this site, giving you location, you should get a suitable reccomendation fast.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=590

Detail what needs to be done, to change a suit from 0-6 to 0-3 is only a few millimeters, they shouldn't even need to open every seam.

The €50 - €100 quote seems very vague too. Ask them how many man hours will it take them.

• Advertisement

I know, i thought the price was way over the top, and too vague aswel. I mean theres is quite a difference between 50 and 100. I asked for a more approximate price and they said they simply couldnt give one without seeing the garment as it depends on what way its made and what type of changes need to be done. I have no priobem spending the money but i feel its too much for an outfit my son will have on once in his life for no more than a couple hours. Thanks for the advice on putting it n arts and crafts boad, will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The only way it could be €100 is if the garment is made using French seam (smooth on the inside and outside) even though I'm still made at the price they are charging. Wedding dresses don't cost that much for a sizing. (Sorry if I had a bit of a rant!)

I now... No problem by the way, rant away! Sure i,magine how i feel. Going back into town tomorrow for anothet look and to price things. Going to try meath st. Liberty market

Advertisement