Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Waits Announces NEW ALBUM

Options
  • 23-08-2011 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

At last:cool:
    'Bad As Me' on October 25.

The bluesman will release a regular version of the 13 track album alongside a deluxe edition which includes three extra songs, 'She Stole The Blush', 'Tell Me' and 'After You Die'.
    The 'Bad As Me' tracklisting is:

'Chicago'
    'Raised Right Men'
    'Talking At The Same Time'
    'Get Lost'
    'Face To The Highway'
    'Pay Me'
    'Back In The Crowd'
    'Bad As Me'
    'Kiss Me'
    'Satisfied'
    'Last Leaf'
    'Hell Broke Luce'
    'New Year’s Eve'
    'She Stole The Blush'
    'Tell Me'
    'After You Die'

http://www.nme.com/news/tom-waits/58794

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

And here's his Private Listening Party video:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Wow, I'm impressed… an NME news story that isn't about the latest idiotic utterance of Liam Gallagher…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

It's pretty exciting news, love the man's body of work. And yes Android, you are spot on!

The bluesman will release a regular version of the 13 track album alongside a deluxe edition which includes three extra songs, 'She Stole The Blush', 'Tell Me' and 'After You Die'.

Why not just release a 16 track album? All this money grabbing does my head in where it comes to Tom Waits. I loved the man dearly til he played "The Ratcellar" in Dublin for 120 a ticket.

Really disgusts me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

€120? Woah, didn't think it would be that dear. :( I'd love to see him live some day, not sure I'd pay that much though. And is he responsible for the price of the tickets and the decision to release two different versions of the album? Or is it other staff in the background?, record companies and whatnot?

Anyway can't wait for this album. The few clips they played in that video sound pretty good anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

This is more entertaining than Waits' Listening Party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X4N2exOsU

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

€120? Woah, didn't think it would be that dear. :( I'd love to see him live some day, not sure I'd pay that much though. And is he responsible for the price of the tickets and the decision to release two different versions of the album? Or is it other staff in the background?, record companies and whatnot?

Anyway can't wait for this album. The few clips they played in that video sound pretty good anyway. :)

Despite what alot of people think the artist's cut is the main factor in determining the ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

Have to say IMO Waits hasn't come up with anything truly original since Bone Machine . Saw him live in The Gaiety 88' famous Big Time tour certainly didn't fork out €120 more like £20!! He was excellent though !!

Here's the man at his best!!:cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Why not just release a 16 track album? All this money grabbing does my head in where it comes to Tom Waits. I loved the man dearly til he played "The Ratcellar" in Dublin for 120 a ticket.

Really disgusts me.

Couldn't agree more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

Have to say IMO Waits hasn't come up with anything truly original since Bone Machine . Saw him live in The Gaiety 88' famous Big Time tour certainly didn't fork out €120 more like £20!! He was excellent though !!

Here's the man at his best!!:cool:

I think I should have said the Olympia!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

. I loved the man dearly til he played "The Ratcellar" in Dublin for 120 a ticket.

Really disgusts me.

I went, worth every penny - best gig I've ever been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Dublin579 wrote: »
    I went, worth every penny - best gig I've ever been to.

Wealthy people have sex more often and in better quality :rolleyes:

Incredible album, the man is on top form. Stand out track for me is
    'Hell Broke Luce'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

cant wait for the album either. as for ticket prices, I read somewhere that Waits is completely anti advertisement when it comes to his music. I know he has sued alot of companies for using his music or image. maybe he doesnt use any sponsors on his tours either. would explain why he had it in the ratcellar rather than a prominent venue. possibley a large part of the ticket price is to cover actual costs of putting on an advertisement free gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I just bought the album. Sounds great so far, but still only on first listen.

I just bought the album. Sounds great so far, but still only on first listen.

Have it now a week and it's on constant rotation, 'Hell Broke Luce' is sublime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Ah jaysus yeah it's savage!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

WinstonOno wrote: »
    possibley a large part of the ticket price is to cover actual costs of putting on an advertisement free gig.

If he doesn't pay for advertising what additional costs need to be covered?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Hermy wrote: »
    If he doesn't pay for advertising what additional costs need to be covered?

They mean a gig without any corporate sponsorship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

eh, why would anyone pay a company to come and advertise at their gigs???? alot of bigger bands who do world tours will have companies sponsor them. that is, the company pays the band money so that they can come and sell mercendise at their gigs. usually beer companies and whatnot. this money lowers the cost of putting on the show, and thusly the ticket prices. established venues would also contribute towards costs. bigger bands bring in bigger crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

haven't the album yet but from what I've heard it sounds brilliant - even better than Rain dogs <ducks>.

of course, that's based on the minimum I've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

The first collection of new material in seven years, and God was it worth waiting for.
    I bought the album before Christmas, and I cant stop playing it.

Highlights for me are. New Years Eve, Kiss Me, Last Leaf, and Chicago.
    The Album is up there with his best. :D

As for the price of concert tickets, I would rather pay €150 to see Tom Waits live, Than to pay more for a ringside seat to see a heavyweight boxing fight that's over after round 1. :)

Advertisement