Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student wanting to defer 1st year of college

Options
  • 23-08-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I'm a 30 year old soon to be student. I received a place in college starting in September but i was hoping to defer it, at this late date due to family reasons. Does anyone know if this is possible. I didn't apply through the CAO, but did interviews with the college.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mom34

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to take up your place this year as planned. If you have missed the deadline outlined by your college to defer your place then I would advise you to contact the Admissions Office and explain your change in circumstances.

A lot of colleges will still allow you to defer if you submit a letter outlining your reasons for your decision.

If you have received your registration forms then you may need to fill in a deferral form but the Admissions Office in question should be able to provide you with this.

Most institutes only refuse deferral requests where a student is deferring to repeat the Leaving Certificate or take up another full-time third level place.

Make sure you contact the relevant college as it should be a straightforward process. By informing them you wish to defer it may enable them to offer your place to the next person on the waiting list for the course and will protect your place for next year.

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 29 niall1980

Thanks for your help and reply Mom34. I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

yeah just contact the College directly,phone em and be nice, and they will help you for sure.College staff are very helpful and understanding.Nice to deal with.

Advertisement