Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for 3 Months in Australia Next Year

Options
  • 23-08-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all.

I'm planning on spending about 3 months working in Australia next year (June - August), so there are a few things I'd like advice on. I'm a student (read: broke) so I would need the trip to pay for itself if at all possible. If that means working solidly for 10/11 weeks and only really having a 1 or 2 week holiday, so be it.

At the moment I'm thinking that Broome, WA, gives the best mix of climate, environment and employment, but any other suggestions would be great. Anyway:

1. Cheapest flights? From what I can see, Ryanair to London then Singapore Airlines to Perth (via Singapore), then some regional flight to Broome looks like the cheapest option.

2. Employment suggestions? I'm prepared to do pretty much anything, it really comes down to pay and availability. Should I try to arrange this before I fly? And what sort of tax would I be liable to pay? I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I actually have Australian citizenship (lived there as a kid).

3. Accommodation? If I went with a group of say 4 or 5, would hostels be our best bet? Again, should this be arranged prior to arrival?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Broome is an odd choice, but it is beautiful, you won't earn a fortune but I am sure there will be casual work around, it is not a city, more of a large town 14k

tax - ah come on, don't be lazy, look at www.ato.gov.au for your tax rates! But you will be classed as a Resident for tax purposes, which means you'll get the 6k tax free allowance.

If you are only staying 3 months, try renting a furnished house/apartment, 3 months in a hostel can take it's toil. Also would be cheaper I guess to rent somewhere out
    (say $25 a night x 4 = $100 a night, $700 a week) - easily get somewhere for that

Have a look at air asia for cheap flights from london to Aus

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lynyg18

hey , try south australia for work on potato farms, i did this and it good money and alot of hours!!

emirates are the cheapest to fly with

and try shared accomadation where you share a room cheaper that way

Advertisement