Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second round offers-limited numbers course. Bit of help please

• 23-08-2011 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Right well the story is i have never, ever done Irish at school. I have been officialy exempt all this time but for some reason or other the twats at the CAO didnt include this in my application(i sent it in) so NUIG-college i applied for- rejected me on the grounds that i didnt matriculate.

I got in contact with the CAO and NUIG and the matter seems to have been cleared up but i now have to wait until the second round to get any offers, my big, big worry is that the course i have applied for-Latin American studies at NUIG- has only 15 places, because of the CAO twats i missed out the first offer(i was 100 points over what i needed) so do i assume all the places are taken or can i hold out any hope that there may still be a place for me?

Sorry for the rambling and incoherence, i'm just rather furious and worried as you may imagine :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well what did the CAO tell you about what offers you will get? Nobody here will be able to tell you if you will get an offer.

Did they tell you that you would be offered a place on the course because you got the points or were you told that you would have to wait and see if someone refused a place on the course or did they tell you that you will be offered a place because you got the points but they have to follow procedure so it will be round 2 before they can offer it to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

They said very little. Just that they seemed "very confidant" that i would get a course, ive applied for latin american studies in NUIG and arts in NUIG, but wouldnt specify if they meant the 15 places course or the much larger arts course.

And of course i understand and appreciate that no here can give me a solid answer, i merely come seeking some better understanding and, to be honest, i'm just an anxious little chap seeking reassurance until the next round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A large course like Arts is bound to have some free places after round 1 so I'd assume that you would be offered it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭samapp

if it's CAO's fault that this happened and you don't get your first choice on account of the places being filled I would make a serious complaint to CAO and I would ring NUG again and tell them everything. This system is stupid full stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I wouldn't worry about it as I applied for Languages in UL and there was a glitch on their website so they didn't accept me. I phoned in and everything and they confirmed that I would definitely get my place next week, no matter what really so I'd say maybe just get in touch again and ask if it's possible to find if it is definite or not and say you need to sort out accommodation and stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

Aragneer wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it as I applied for Languages in UL and there was a glitch on their website so they didn't accept me. I phoned in and everything and they confirmed that I would definitely get my place next week, no matter what really so I'd say maybe just get in touch again and ask if it's possible to find if it is definite or not and say you need to sort out accommodation and stuff :)
    Cheers man :) i shall do that

Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 melmoghra

Hi, I was 5 points off for Arts in UCC:(....does anyone know if there is a chance that (i)there will be a second round of offers for this course, and, (ii) the points will drop by 5???

melmoghra wrote: »
    Hi, I was 5 points off for Arts in UCC:(....does anyone know if there is a chance that (i)there will be a second round of offers for this course, and, (ii) the points will drop by 5???

Well I'd say there is a chance of a second round of offers since not everyone will want that Arts course in UCC :) But the drop by 5 is hard to tell.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 melmoghra

Aragneer wrote: »
    Well I'd say there is a chance of a second round of offers since not everyone will want that Arts course in UCC :) But the drop by 5 is hard to tell.. :/

I'm going to view 3 subjects on Sep 2nd (second round offers out on Sep 1st!!)..if there is a chance of gaining 5 points in a recheck it's worth it, however, I'm not holding out much hope as 2 of these subjects are HD3 and I think I might have been given 'mercy grades' as it is:o!!! I have a Fetac level 5 course in Limerick that can give me a chance at Arts in Cork next year...I call it the 'back door'..so even though I'm not out of the race I know what second last feels like:(!! .... still we must keep the faith!!! Thanks for your reply Aragneer:)

• Advertisement

melmoghra wrote: »
    I'm going to view 3 subjects on Sep 2nd (second round offers out on Sep 1st!!)..if there is a chance of gaining 5 points in a recheck it's worth it, however, I'm not holding out much hope as 2 of these subjects are HD3 and I think I might have been given 'mercy grades' as it is:o!!! I have a Fetac level 5 course in Limerick that can give me a chance at Arts in Cork next year...I call it the 'back door'..so even though I'm not out of the race I know what second last feels like:(!! .... still we must keep the faith!!! Thanks for your reply Aragneer:)

Well my dad always says you must try every angle to fight for what you want so get those subjects re-checked and you never know :D I was gonna get them re-checked but got my course so I'm not too bothered now :)
    Having a 'back door' course is a good idea but I'm sure you could possibly get something in the 2nd round :) Keep faith and good luck :D Let us know how you get on :)

Advertisement