Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing airflow over computer equipment

• 23-08-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've created a few threads here over the last few weeks regarding trying to get a cooling solution in place for running hot machines in my house. At the advice of others here I have finally realised that air conditioning is the way to go.

I still have an issue I need to sort out with air flow though. The room should be a steady 19c due to the air conditioning but the airflow into the side of the machines needs to be increased.

I have estimated that it's needs a fan that can cover around 13 inches diameter to be safe. I have tried using a normal desktop fan as a test and the flow of air from that was sufficient. I can't seem to find a measurement of what kind of m3/h these fans blow though?

Would this method of increasing airflow be a good strategy - the servers are tower cases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

euser1984 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've created a few threads here over the last few weeks regarding trying to get a cooling solution in place for running hot machines in my house. At the advice of others here I have finally realised that air conditioning is the way to go.

I still have an issue I need to sort out with air flow though. The room should be a steady 19c due to the air conditioning but the airflow into the side of the machines needs to be increased.

I have estimated that it's needs a fan that can cover around 13 inches diameter to be safe. I have tried using a normal desktop fan as a test and the flow of air from that was sufficient. I can't seem to find a measurement of what kind of m3/h these fans blow though?

Would this method of increasing airflow be a good strategy - the servers are tower cases.

Would you not be better fitting larger cooling fans in the tower cases? PC World have them. I wouldn't have thought that simply blowing air at the computers would help much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yeah, cool the computers internally, all you need to provide in the room is airspace around them.

Pop over to the PC Building and Upgrading forum for more detailed info.

Advertisement