Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Street, Dublin 8.

Options
  • 23-08-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I asked this in the property forum but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there. It might be a bit more relevant here

Hi, I am currently living in Sandyford and looking to move in closer to town. I currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment costing €1,100 per month with a parking space and ideally I would like not to have to pay more.

I've had a look on daft and for €1,100 there isn't an many nice places with parking in my preferred area (D2/D4).

There are however a lot of apartments available on Cork Street and some of them look very nice.

I'm just wondering if anyone lives there. Is it safe? Any bad experiences? The usual questions. I've had a look at a couple of threads on askaboutmoney.com and some of the reports aren't great but most of the threads are 3-4 years old and my understanding is it's had a major re-development recently.

Basically, any help/advice/recommendations anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Cork St is actually very quiet, almost deserted in some spots, thanks to the road widening scheme which pretty much wiped the soul from the place.. However, the city end is great as you're within walking distance of the centre (5-10 mins to Stephens Green/Wexford st etc) and it has the unrivalled Fallons pub nearby.

It's flanked on either side by the Coombe and the Tenters/Blackpitts areas. Both imo are grand areas, particualrly the area behind the Tenters Pub, and Newmarket Square.. The Coombe, is largely alright too, with a few exceptions, but again, you're within strolling distance of town here, and within a stones throw of every type of shop/market you'll need. Also, some really good communities to live in

The Dolphin Barns end of Cork st isn't as good. Fine for living, although with a few very dodgy areas, but it doesn't have the advantages of being as close to town.

I've lived in about 10 apartments (long story) in many areas of Dublin City (D2,D4,D6 and D8) over the past 15 years and used to gravitate towards what would be percieved as the safer and more upmarket districts. Now I prefer living in the heart of the city, somewhere with history, charm and local community.. It's way more fulfilling, and you'll get more bang for your buck too.. Cork Street is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

A Disgrace wrote: »
    I've lived in about 10 apartments (long story) in many areas of Dublin City (D2,D4,D6 and D8) over the past 15 years and used to gravitate towards what would be percieved as the safer and more upmarket districts. Now I prefer living in the heart of the city, somewhere with history, charm and local community.. It's way more fulfilling, and you'll get more bang for your buck too.. Cork Street is a good place to start.

Have you not ventured across The Liffey yet?

No actually

Have you not ventured across The Liffey yet?

My point was not nessecarily that I've lived in D2,D4,D6 and D8 (even though I have) but was more about where I have lived... Just because I have lived in these places doesn't mean I'm anti-northside..

Anyway, topic was a question about Cork St, a very southside street

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cork St is grand. Plenty of buses, close to town, Lidl and Tesco on Thomas St (and one at Dolphins Barn) aswell as plenty of butchers and whatnot on Meath St if you don't venturing fully into town.

Only people you'll see after about 11pm will be people going to town on the pish and only before you'll see after that is people walking home after being out on the lash.

Imo the closer to town you stay on Cork St, when you venture up past the Coombe Hospital it can be dodgy with Dolphin House being about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

A Disgrace wrote: »
    My point was not nessecarily that I've lived in D2,D4,D6 and D8 (even though I have) but was more about where I have lived... Just because I have lived in these places doesn't mean I'm anti-northside..

yeah i get ya man, it was just a friendly jibe, no offence intended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Don't forget the 24 hour Maxol at the canal end of Cork Street. You'd need to keep your wits about you at times but it's so handy if you're having a late one and run out of smokes or anything :)

yeah i get ya man, it was just a friendly jibe, no offence intended

No worries, I was being a bit touchy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Good few junkies around Cork Street to be honest and it can be a bit dodgy at night. Particularly around Donore avenue/St Teresa's Gardens and the Dolphins Barn end. I've lived around this area for a few years and never had any problems and I love being in the city centre, but it's a long way from the relaxed suburban surroundings you are used to out in Sandyford..

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

The good wide street helps, I used to walk to work that way around 6.30 in the morning.. was grand in the morning.. but walking home around 10pm wasnt the nicest experience. Just my opinion !! :)

• Advertisement

geuro wrote: »
    Good few junkies around Cork Street to be honest and it can be a bit dodgy at night. Particularly around Donore avenue/St Teresa's Gardens and the Dolphins Barn end. I've lived around this area for a few years and never had any problems and I love being in the city centre, but it's a long way from the relaxed suburban surroundings you are used to out in Sandyford..

The junkies keep to themselves. As for it being dodgy at night? Maybe up by Dolphins Barn but I used to and still walk up Donore Ave past Teresa's Gardens at night and you don't see a sinner out after about 9.30pm, maybe the odd few kids during the summer thats about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The junkies keep to themselves. As for it being dodgy at night? Maybe up by Dolphins Barn but I used to and still walk up Donore Ave past Teresa's Gardens at night and you don't see a sinner out after about 9.30pm, maybe the odd few kids during the summer thats about it.

A friend of mine lived in Donore avenue and it was well dodgy..the door of his house was kicked in several times..windows are broken in the area and cars are regularly vandalised..drug dealing happens openly beside that "rescource centre" and there's flytipping of all kinds of crap onto the street.
    Live somewhere else.

Degsy wrote: »
    A friend of mine lived in Donore avenue and it was well dodgy..the door of his house was kicked in several times..windows are broken in the area and cars are regularly vandalised..drug dealing happens openly beside that "rescource centre" and there's flytipping of all kinds of crap onto the street.
    Live somewhere else.

I live just off Donore Ave and have done for 20 years, nearly 21 and only minor problems.

Majority of Teresa's Gardens was cleared out a few years back in preparation for the knocking down of it and the rebuliding of a "mini town" on the site of Teresa's Gardens and John Players. Only minor incidents these days

Although I do agree about the flytipping on each entrance to Darley's Terrace, although the Council seem to be trying to keep on top it along with some travellers who I seen yesterday taking any piece of metal or bike part from the pile.

Degsy wrote: »
    Live somewhere else.

I've been broken into in Rathmines, Donnybrook and Portobello - It happens.

On saying that, I wouldn't live on Donore Ave, but that's not the issue.. In the grand scheme of things, Cork St is fine, and there are plenty of places on it that are far enough from the bad stuff... The heads on Donore Ave etc rarely ramble far, so the OP will be fine and will reap the rewards of living in such a vibrant area.

I live on Echlin St, and sometimes have have to step over the odd straggler as I leave my flat, but its a great street, and as time goes by the dodgeballs recognise me and acknowledge me. That there is real Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I never lived in Cork St, but I do know of several women who wouldn't live there out of concern for their own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

D wrote: »
    I never lived in Cork St, but I do know of several women who wouldn't live there out of concern for their own safety.

based on experience or stereotype?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 newbie_202

I will move to Dublin shortly from the US and I was looking at property to rent/buy off Cork St. (Fingal and Eugene St. to be precise). I love the neat terraces and the price isnt overly prohibitive either. I like the idea of buying and living on that street given that its close to the city as well as a relatively short walk to Lower Kevin st. where I will be working, but since I haven't experienced the city, I am looking for opinion from the residents.

As for the dodgy factor, I am in Milwaukee, which has one of the highest crime rates in the US. So as long as there are no random shootings in the middle of the night, I think I will be fine with living anywhere.

If not Cork St. what other areas could I look for as far as living in the city goes? My budget would allow me to spend approx. 700 euros a month for accomodation.

Thanks all!

uberwolf wrote: »
    based on experience or stereotype?

No I agree with the her, I didnt feel safe walking home there alone at night.
    Saying that, I still live in the area, and isnt near as bad as summerhill where I had a brief stay.

OP have a walk around the area and see what you think for yourself.

CavanCrew wrote: »
    No I agree with the her, I didnt feel safe walking home there alone at night.

There's rarely a soul out there at night! From the maternity hospital as far as the canal it can be a bit rowdy but the rest of the road is normally dead. As a girl, I find it absolutely grand.

cosmic wrote: »
    There's rarely a soul out there at night! From the maternity hospital as far as the canal it can be a bit rowdy but the rest of the road is normally dead. As a girl, I find it absolutely grand.

Oh well I was talking about that end, when I was working in the coombe.
    Ah welllll difference of opinion ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jimmy Two Lips

Myself and my wife bought an apartment on Cork St in 2006 (little did we know of the impending bubble burst) with the intention of staying for 3-4 years and then moving on, we know we will probably be here for the forseeable future now but it has definitely become home after taking a while to settle in. There are many great amenities such as a very good Spar at the Dolphins Barn end with an Insomnia cafe in it, a good Lidl, a new butchers / delicatessen which is very good value, a gym in Herberton a short walk away and a weekly market in the Blackpitts on Sundays which sells mainly organic food and other bits and bobs. The location is a big benefit being so close to town and the bus service is excellent, only 5 minutes outside of rush hour to College Green, usually 10-15 mins at peak times.

With regard to safety neither of us have had a single incident i.e. being threatened or assaulted in any way over the past 5 years. The main complaints we would have is being woken at 3am-ish on a regular basis by drunken fights between couples and junkies, but this is more an inconvenience than anything else. Some of the kids can be quite bad in terms of running amok and vandalism but don't really bother strangers, and kids will be kids, sadly the parents don't seem to care how they behave but that's their business. On the other hand I would regularly walk home from town late at night and have never had any bother, or seen many people for that matter, but I do insist herself gets a taxi just to be on the safe side.

Ultimately their are pros and cons like anywhere but Cork Street has a lot of charm and a great location and that outweighs any concerns we have, I know when we do eventually move on from to area I will miss it a lot, we have a good rapport with the local shopkeepers at this stage and our neighbours in the apartment block. It is definitely a different world to the OP's current location of Sandyford, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Good post! I was looking at the price of two bed apts. in Cork St. and they seem very reasonable. You have to weigh up the pros and cons. It sounds like a really handy location, you are near all the amenities. Imagine being able to stroll into town to cinemas/theatre/restaurants etc.

I know I'd prefer that than a long commute from a dormer estate. It depends what you like.

For me, I'd hate to move anywhere too far away from the vibrant city.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Cork St is in no way an unsafe street.
    In general, it's very, very quiet.
    I am a young female, I've lived right beside it for 2 years, at the Dolphins Barn end.
    I frequently walk around there, even at night when getting off the last bus etc and have never had anything even close to an incident.
    In fact I feel safer there than a lot of other areas.
    The part that I live is between the Coombe and the canal and I always find it absolutely grand, even cut through Dolphin House as a short cut, so just ignore the stereotyping and use common sense and keep your wits about you like anywhere.
    There are plenty of buses going in to town, or you can walk it.
    And as above, lidl, tesco, etc. etc.
    Go for it if you like the property! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

newbie_202 wrote: »
    I will move to Dublin shortly from the US and I was looking at property to rent/buy off Cork St.....

As for the dodgy factor, I am in Milwaukee, which has one of the highest crime rates in the US. So as long as there are no random shootings in the middle of the night, I think I will be fine with living anywhere.

If not Cork St. what other areas could I look for as far as living in the city goes? My budget would allow me to spend approx. 700 euros a month for accomodation.

Well, tbh, seeing guns are generally illegal, there are very few shootings here in Dublin.

With that kind of a budget you might prefer Rathmines or Ranelagh, which are within walking distance of the city, are leafy suburbs, and are also well supplied with shops, banks, cafes, pubs, clubs, a cinema, swimming pool etc etc etc.

Live here first before buying!! And try Accommodation (under Soc) for advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

hey guys

First time living in Dublin and will be working in stephens green area.

I was thinking of moving into one off the south gate apartments on cork street. anyone lived here before?
    is the area quiet? i am female and want to know if i'll be safe to walk home alone etc

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

also considering moving to sandyford. i don't know what to do :(

Pink11 wrote: »
    hey guys

I was thinking of moving into one off the south gate apartments on cork street. anyone lived here before?
    is the area quiet? i am female and want to know if i'll be safe to walk home alone etc

I know from a personal point I hate commuting far, so Cork St > Sandyford straight off.

Never lived there, one of my mates did and said it was grand. I live about 10 mins away off Donore Ave, around there has gotten much quieter since Chamber St flats was knocked down (plans for a park to be built there now).

Great location, 10 mins to work, 5 mins to Meath St (Quality butchers) and 10 mins to Thomas St (Lidl and a Tesco Express)

Pink11 wrote: »
    hey guys

Go with Cork st - the South Gate apartments are in a decent spot at the city centre end of the street (it does get a little more rugged further up, but it's still generally grand) and as Gavin says it's a great spot for shops etc - plus, you're literally seconds away from the Flea Market, which is a great way to spend your Sunday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know from a personal point I hate commuting far, so Cork St > Sandyford straight off.

Never lived there, one of my mates did and said it was grand. I live about 10 mins away off Donore Ave, around there has gotten much quieter since Chamber St flats was knocked down (plans for a park to be built there now).

Great location, 10 mins to work, 5 mins to Meath St (Quality butchers) and 10 mins to Thomas St (Lidl and a Tesco Express)

There's also a Lidl on Cork St.

I'm a woman who has lived off the Dolphin's Barn end of Cork St for years. I've walked home at 2am and left for work at 5am and never had any trouble.

kylith wrote: »
    There's also a Lidl on Cork St.

I'm a woman who has lived off the Dolphin's Barn end of Cork St for years. I've walked home at 2am and left for work at 5am and never had any trouble.

Jaysus, that's very little sleep ;):p

Serously though, I also love living near Cork Street (I'm a girl too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

cosmic wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's very little sleep ;):p

I actually did that once. Worst. Idea. Ever.

Advertisement