Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in Westport

Options
  • 23-08-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am planning a trip to westport and would like to know if anyone knew of any beaches or areas where camping would be tolerated. Any replies would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

nh23 wrote: »
    I am planning a trip to westport and would like to know if anyone knew of any beaches or areas where camping would be tolerated. Any replies would be greatly appreciated

westport house has a camping area.

http://www.westporthouse.ie/caravans-camping/

http://www.westporthouse.ie/prices/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 glorias

**The signs are there for a reason, don't promote rule breaking thanks.**

There is an official campsite on old head beach which is near Louisburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Westport House and Lydons ( Old head Hotel ) are well organised camp sites. Camping elsewhere not encouraged and probably in breac of the planing acts.

I know the poster would be careful and leave nothing behind, but there are some other campers/caravanners who are not so careful about the environment. Such groups woulld and have taken over a beach. If there were a few smalll tents there beforehand they would use that as an excuse, and cry inequality etc etc.

**I warned you already**

gosh. this is my first time participating on this site, made 2 posts about camping around Westport. Thought I was giving good local information, not breaking any law or anything but the rules police are on patrol! Hey guys, lighten up, less of the censorship, this is the internet after all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

glorias wrote: »
    gosh. this is my first time participating on this site, made 2 posts about camping around Westport. Thought I was giving good local information, not breaking any law or anything but the rules police are on patrol! Hey guys, lighten up, less of the censorship, this is the internet after all.

Read the rules they are simple, abide by them. No more warnings.

And the internet isn't removed from law breaking either.

Yeah Ok. however, if I had said nothing about the incidental 'no camping' signs, would you have removed my post?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

glorias wrote: »
    Yeah Ok. however, if I had said nothing about the incidental 'no camping' signs, would you have removed my post?

I am going into a big discussion over this, what you promoted was illegal, boards.ie don't allow and won't allow promotion of any illegal activity.

I swear to god, nothing i said was illegal. There is no law in Ireland that prevents anybody from camping on beaches. There are signs put up on beaches that says 'no camping' but there is absolutely nothing in the constitution that says one must not spend the night on the beaches of Ireland that are owned by the people of Ireland. The county councils can put up those signs, but they cannot prosecute anybody for ignoring them unless they break the law by littering or being a nuisance. I think you should hold off on censoring posts or calling out people for illegal activity until you get your facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Gloria

County Councils can control camping on beaches.

Under the Planning Acts they have jurisdcition over foreshore.

S 3(2) of Planning and Dev Act 2000 makes placing of tents caravans etc on land for the purpose of camping or caravanning a material change of use.

campers could therefore be prosecuted or injuncted under the Planning Acts.

You may argue that one carefully pitched tent is no harm. However if the Council allow it, and a group of travellers arrive with the usual collection of vehicles, animals etc, and action is taken aganst them, they will claim breach of equality legislation.

Nothing that I am aware of in the Constitution about camping wherever you like.

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    Gloria

County Councils can control camping on beaches.

Under the Planning Acts they have jurisdcition over foreshore.

S 3(2) of Planning and Dev Act 2000 makes placing of tents caravans etc on land for the purpose of camping or caravanning a material change of use.

campers could therefore be prosecuted or injuncted under the Planning Acts.

You may argue that one carefully pitched tent is no harm. However if the Council allow it, and a group of travellers arrive with the usual collection of vehicles, animals etc, and action is taken aganst them, they will claim breach of equality legislation.

Nothing that I am aware of in the Constitution about camping wherever you like.

Thanks for explaining that Nuac.

Advertisement