Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you really have to pay library fines?

Options
  • 23-08-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

I'm transferring out of UCD to UCC and was wondering, do I have to pay my library fines :\ considering i'd have to pay about 50€ to get up and down to UCD to pay them I'm just wondering is it really worth the hassle. Like they won't halt my transfer until they're paid would they?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

You can pay 'em online I think. I know you can't graduate if you've outstanding fines, but not sure about transferring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

You have to pay them before you can graduate, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if you have to pay them before completing a transfer. Can they not be paid online?

Edit: Beaten to it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think you can pay library fines online. I was looking for a way last year while trying to reserve a book during the Easter break and couldn't find anything.

Is there not a tab labelled "Library Services" in ucdconnect that you can click on and it takes you to your account? I thought there's an option there to pay online. I'm not certain though and I can't check because I'm not in UCD anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 AmyTB

WeeBushy wrote: »
    You have to pay them before you can graduate, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if you have to pay them before completing a transfer. Can they not be paid online?

Edit: Beaten to it :)

Does that really stand? I am due to graduate next week and I owe €0.20 :eek:

• Advertisement

Yep. My friend's brother couldn't graduate til he paid his 50c fine. Just go in tomorrow and pay the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cfingers

You can pay 'em online I think. I know you can't graduate if you've outstanding fines, but not sure about transferring.

I graduated and I had fine of €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

If you are unable to travel to Dublin why not send the library a cheque? Post it into the library and give them your student number, write this on the back too, along with your name.

If you don't have someone who can write you a cheque, maybe send a postal order or bank draft? You should get these free from the Bank if you hold a student account.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Yep. My friend's brother couldn't graduate til he paid his 50c fine. Just go in tomorrow and pay the damn thing.

I live in Cork and have a full time job! I can't!

Either way I paid by cash, sent in a registered letter and she shall ring me when it's paid so I can accept my place in UCC. And now to move to the UCC forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I have fines of around 27euro but am all set to graduate next Tuesday, am I missing something? I don't think I'll have to pay them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I paid the fine for a friend due to graduate (for various reasons he couldn't get in to sort it before he was due to graduate). When I explained to the library assistant he laughed, almost as if the fines didn't actually matter?!! There are mixed reports here so far.

Still, I'd much rather graduate with no problems rather than chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I'd pay the fine. Don't you know the nursery rhyme about Librocop getting you in your sleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Well since I have received my graduation pack, surely it is alright to turn up on the day for the graduation and they won't say "No, you have fines to pay, go over to the library there and come back for your degree"

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

Let me tell you something, funny boy...You know that little stamp? The one that says James Joyce Library? Well, that may not mean anything to you, but that means a lot to me. One whole helluva lot.

Sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. I've seen your type before - flashy, making the scene, flaunting convention. Yeah, I know what you're thinking... Why's this guy making such a big stink about old library book fines? Let me give you a hint, junior. Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me.... Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world. What about that kid, sitting down, opening a book right now in James Joyce and finding pictures of pee-pees and wee-wees in Understanding Globalization and The Cambridge Victorian Drama Reader. Doesn't he deserve better?

Look, if you think this is about overdue fines, you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to read a book without getting his mind warped. Or maybe that turns you on, Yellow... Maybe that's how you get your kicks... You and your goodtime buddies... I've got a flash for you, joy boy. Partytime is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

I don't see who an unpaid library fine can warp a childs mind....

But the people who won't pay the fine should pay up their debts.

If you were a continuing student you would pay.

The OP had no problem paying, but why people are boasting about not paying is beyond me.

If you owe money, pay it. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I got a €44 fine in first year (kept a few books over the then 3 week easter break!), never paid it and graduated 3 years later in 2009! it was a complete myth at the time to make sure people paid, might be different now though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OSI wrote: »
    Cool story, bro!
    Not a Seinfeld fan I take it? :D

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    I got a €44 fine in first year (kept a few books over the then 3 week easter break!), never paid it and graduated 3 years later in 2009! it was a complete myth at the time to make sure people paid, might be different now though...

My friend's brother would have graduated almost 7 years ago. Maybe they've become more lenient since then? :confused: I feel like a dope now for paying my €16 fine I got this year for returning a short loan book a day late. I needed to use the laptops though, so the fine had to be paid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

My friend's brother would have graduated almost 7 years ago. Maybe they've become more lenient since then? :confused: I feel like a dope now for paying my €16 fine I got this year for returning a short loan book a day late. I needed to use the laptops though, so the fine had to be paid :(

maybe, i've not heard much about it since or before then. I just took a chance really by not paying it, worked out ok in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 alysonay

You can graduate! I owed 28e from 3rd year..got all the way through 4th year and graduated last year. Fine still stands

• Advertisement
Advertisement