Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco IOS Updates

Options
  • 23-08-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know how to go about purchasing Cisco IOS updates? I'm pulling my hair out here trying to get a price for: c870-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M1.bin from cisco.com - one would nearly think the layer of corporate mumbo jumbo is designed not to sell to people!

I just want to update my home router to the latest IOS, to give IPv6 a crack again, after getting stuck with dd-wrt on my other router...

Thanks,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 No1_Monkey

Dardania wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know how to go about purchasing Cisco IOS updates? I'm pulling my hair out here trying to get a price for: c870-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M1.bin from cisco.com - one would nearly think the layer of corporate mumbo jumbo is designed not to sell to people!

I just want to update my home router to the latest IOS, to give IPv6 a crack again, after getting stuck with dd-wrt on my other router...

Thanks,

D

Dardania
    To get access to any Cisco ios you must be a registered partner and have either a smartnet or smartcare contract on the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Thanks for that No1 - I kindof guessed such a maintenance contract would be needed - the joys of owning business class products!

I went to: http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do & found a SME sized network consultancy in Sandyford, and have emailed them to see if they can source IOS' in a legal fashion.

Otherwise, I'd be delighted if anyone wanted to share the update with me! Any & all configuration files shared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

No1_Monkey wrote: »
    Dardania
    Although someone may be kind enough to send it on if they have it. ;)
    Otherwise, I'd be delighted if anyone wanted to share the update with me! Any & all configuration files shared!

Lads, no discussion of pirating software please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

For a home user is not worth the cost !
    Also,as far as i remember,the 870 is near the end of life but i can be wrong!

I will approach the Cisco reseller in the morning to get me a price,what flavour of 870 you have !?

rolion wrote: »
    For a home user is not worth the cost !
    Also,as far as i remember,the 870 is near the end of life but i can be wrong!

I will approach the Cisco reseller in the morning to get me a price,what flavour of 870 you have !?

I'm worried to get a sense from your post that the cost might be excessive! I'd say you're right about the 870 going EOL soon - it's a bit long in the tooth, but I got it with extra ROM space, additional RAM and bought the advanced security IOS when buying it originally, so that I could pass my CCNA through practice. Now I want to mess about with IPv6 as I reckon it's the way the world is going, but it seems the older IOS' aren't as good as newer ones for that from reading tunnel broker.

It'd be great if you could find out from the reseller - I have an 871W

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

@Dardania: Did you buy your 871W new or second hand? I only ask because from what I can tell according to the letter of Cisco's license agreement, if you sell a unit second hand, then the s/w is not transferable. Not that that prevents the huge market for training setups for Cisco exams which always have s/w on them, although Cisco clearly turn a blind eye to that. I have an 877W (and a few other bits and pieces) and am in a similar situation.

I bought it new from these guys: http://www.hardware.com/store/cisco/CISCO871W-G-A-K9

It's a pain that the licence is to the owner and not the device...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I'm worried to get a sense from your post that the cost might be excessive! I'd say you're right about the 870 going EOL soon - it's a bit long in the tooth, but I got it with extra ROM space, additional RAM and bought the advanced security IOS when buying it originally, so that I could pass my CCNA through practice. Now I want to mess about with IPv6 as I reckon it's the way the world is going, but it seems the older IOS' aren't as good as newer ones for that from reading tunnel broker.

It'd be great if you could find out from the reseller - I have an 871W

€81.86 ex WITH support hware NBD 1 y,access to IOS downloads and TAC 24/7

rolion wrote: »
    €81.86 ex WITH support hware NBD 1 y,access to IOS downloads and TAC 24/7

Thanks for that - I might go for that - how do we proceed from here? Can yuo drop me a PM with contact details for a call?

Advertisement