Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXThunajzxXRWOD8F-u3jd5J6KgkHtIj9Kzmm2Olos8y75ylCG

This is what I mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think we'll see:

A cheaper iPhone - iPhone 4+ (why call it S, the S stood for Speed in 3GS)

A new iPhone 5 - bigger screen/better chip/camera etc.
    To be honest, I think the cheaper model will just be the iPhone 4. I don't imagine there being any changes to it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess a €350 pricing point. Still significantly more expensive than an iPod Touch, and puts it inline with Android price points with similar specs. Cheap enough to tap into the PAYG market too.

I reckon size, speed and the Camera will be the focus on the iPhone 5. Smartphones with 3.7"-4" screens are quite big and bulky, and we know Apple doesn't do big and bulky. So the focus will be how thin and small it is (screen is "bezel to bezel", reducing size) compared to other smartphones with similar sized screen. And of course there is the obvious features of better processor and Camera.

I'm still not sold on the bigger, swipe-able home button. The Palm Pre has a very similar feature and works fantastically, especially for multitasking with their "Cards" feature. Apple will need to implement a similar system of multitasking for the swipe Home button to work. But it would make a good "Back" button though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dman001 wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the cheaper model will just be the iPhone 4. I don't imagine there being any changes to it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess a €350 pricing point. Still significantly more expensive than an iPod Touch, and puts it inline with Android price points with similar specs. Cheap enough to tap into the PAYG market too.

Not a hope they'll retain a 16/32 gb iPhone 4 for their budget solution. As I've said before that could possibly cannibalise sales of the new device. Look at when the 4 came out. That was a huge jump over the 3GS in ever way yet Apple still cut the memory capacity in case it took sales away from the 4. Whatever the 5 is it isn't going to be as radical a jump. Furthermore they don't want to encourage people that would be happy with the 4 as is holding off at the end of a cycle either and getting the product at a discount. Apple with the odd exception aren't in the habit of reducing the cost of their products. They'll find some way to hobble the 4 to sell the new stuff and ensure late adopters of the 4 don't feel screwed over either.

Don't agree with your comment on 3.7 inch devices being bulky either. There's plenty of space on the iPhone for increasing the screen size without impacting the overall size. To my eye the iPhone looks outdated when viewed straight on owing to the size of the bezel.

screen_shot_2011-08-31_at_4-30.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Not a hope they'll retain a 16/32 gb iPhone 4 for their budget solution. As I've said before that could possibly cannibalise sales of the new device. Look at when the 4 came out. That was a huge jump over the 3GS in ever way yet Apple still cut the memory capacity in case it took sales away from the 4. Whatever the 5 is it isn't going to be as radical a jump. Furthermore they don't want to encourage people that would be happy with the 4 as is holding off at the end of a cycle either and getting the product at a discount. Apple with the odd exception aren't in the habit of reducing the cost of their products. They'll find some way to hobble the 4 to sell the new stuff and ensure late adopters of the 4 don't feel screwed over either.

Don't agree with your comment on 3.7 inch devices being bulky either. There's plenty of space on the iPhone for increasing the screen size without impacting the overall size. To my eye the iPhone looks outdated when viewed straight on owing to the size of the bezel.

Well I can't see a 16Gb/32Gb budget-level iPhone either, but I an 8Gb iPhone 4. I seem to remember this "cannibalising iPhone sales" talk back in 2007, where it was debated if Apple would release the iPod Touch along with the 1st Gen iPhone. The Smartphone market is now much more competitive, with Dual Core, 4" Android devices with some being thinner than the iPhone. The iPhone 4 is beginning to lag behind. That's where the iPhone 5 comes in. And I think it will be a big jump from the iPhone 4 in terms of design. Apple has a habit of making people wanting the latest and greatest, and this year won't be an exception.

And Apple have said they are looking into the cheaper, prepaid market too! I'm curious as to what you think will be their cheaper model this year, or do you think there will be just the one iPhone being sold-The iPhone 5??

And you're right with the 3.7" not being bulky. Going by the HTC Desire, it's not much bigger than the iPhone. The point I was trying to make is that they'll manage to increase the screen size without dramatically increasing the size of the iPhone itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hopefully they try and move the market towards reasonable contracts too. Can't see it happening as its mainly down to the provider but I'd love to see it at a shorter contract for a competitive price. Otherwise the Android market will continue to grow into Apples. Really want to move back to an iPhone but the value isn't there. Who really wants a 24 month contract?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

On Thursday (22nd) Apple reset all iCloud backups and they've also set a date to reset iTunes Match for the 26th. Which seems to signal the iOS 5 GM seed could be soon available. Which would mean the final release of iOS 5 (and the next gen iPhone) is only around the cornor.

As well as that AllThingsD posted the potential press conference date as the 4th. And now AppleInsider is reporting that Apple are blacking out holidays for certain weeks in October. See here Which is the case when they are releasing a new major product e.g. iPhone 5.

Also twitter anouncened a developer event focused on iOS 5 ingergration for the 10th so this ties in nicely to the announcements, especially the iOS 5 release.

So this is my prediction for iOS 5 & the next gen iPhone release timeline.

September 27th/28th - Invites are sent out
    October 4th - iPhone announcement + iOS 5 release date set
    October 10th - iOS 5 public release
    October 14th - next generation iPhone goes on sale in US
    October 27th/28th - iPhone released in Ireland

This is based heavily on the latest rumours that are floating around.

Let's see how it fairs out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

^^^^^

Love the design of the Iphone 5, is that confirmed what it will look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

screen_shot_2011-08-31_at_4-30.png

Sticking with a 3.7" display would be a massive mistake imo, when it's clear that 4.3" is the new sweet spot for mobile phone displays. The iPhone 4 is quite a small phone, making it smaller is a bit pointless imo, why not keep the form factor and increase the screen size at the expense of the bezel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

4.3 would be way too big. The current iPhone display is 3.5". 3.7 would be about right IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sticking with a 3.7" display would be a massive mistake imo, when it's clear that 4.3" is the new sweet spot for mobile phone displays. The iPhone 4 is quite a small phone, making it smaller is a bit pointless imo, why not keep the form factor and increase the screen size at the expense of the bezel.

I disagree, I sell the things for a living and we get an awful lot of people choosing an iphone or similar ahead of say, a GS2 or X10i/Arc because the screen is too large. I had a Desire HD and agree wholly. Just too big for my liking. I can do everything I need on 3.5" without negatively affecting battery life.

For what it's worth, we in the business (won't say which network, breach of contract and all that) know absolutely nothing for sure about release dates so if you hear it confirmed - before apple put it on their website - from a phone company, it's rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

4.3 is way too big and unwieldy. A small bit bigger is as far as I want it to go, 3.7 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

The October event will take place at apple hq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

At 3.7 they wouldn't have to up the resolution and could still keep their "retina display".

I can imagine that the 5 will be a decent upgrade. Apples share price would plummet if they thought that Tim Cook dropped the ball so badly just months after Jobs leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,286 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mr.S wrote: »
    A cheaper iPhone - iPhone 4+ (why call it S, the S stood for Speed in 3GS)
    It would make sense to stick with the same naming convention if they decide to release a cheaper fone based on the iPhone 4.
    It would have a new chip so it would be faster, so speed isn't incorrect tbh
    Inquitus wrote: »
    The iPhone 4 is quite a small phone, making it smaller is a bit pointless imo, why not keep the form factor and increase the screen size at the expense of the bezel.
    The iphone is not a small phone
    Linoge wrote: »
    I can imagine that the 5 will be a decent upgrade. Apples share price would plummet if they thought that Tim Cook dropped the ball so badly just months after Jobs leaves.
    It's nothign to do with Cook, these changes would of been agreed months ago. The next iPhone is the first one that Jobs has no involvement in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I love how people say that the iphone 4 is lagging behind other leading android phones...
    Apart from large screens and a dual core cpu that you'll barely ever use you're not losing out on anything. It's all just tech specs..it's not as if you're suddenly going to be using 10 apps all at the same time..plus barely any apps are multithreaded so far.
    In fact battery life is still excellent on the iphone compared to other phones and I'd happily accept a 3.7" screen rather than 4" or bigger thus saving battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I love how people say that the iphone 4 is lagging behind other leading android phones...
    Apart from large screens and a dual core cpu that you'll barely ever use you're not losing out on anything. It's all just tech specs..it's not as if you're suddenly going to be using 10 apps all at the same time..plus barely any apps are multithreaded so far.
    In fact battery life is still excellent on the iphone compared to other phones and I'd happily accept a 3.7" screen rather than 4" or bigger thus saving battery life.

Well they can say what they want. They can't dispute the fact that iPhone 4 and 3GS are the number 1 & 2 selling smart phone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mad muffin wrote: »
    TUAW contacted Kelly Richardson of Otterbox regarding the banner and the leaked case images, to which she explained that the images were of prototype packaging, but that the cases contained within were not for the iPhone 4S.

I should have found somewhere to take that bet....
    seamus wrote: »
    I'd put my money on that being a mock-up of a new packing design that they're planning to launch and stuck those labels and images on just for example's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

mad muffin wrote: »
    Turns out it's fake.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/19/iphone-4s-is-likely-an-early-prototype/

Anyone seen the new iPhone 5 yet or any pics? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Mellor wrote: »
    It would make sense to stick with the same naming convention
    But to call a cheaper version the S would be breaking that established convention. The 3GS was not a cheaper version of the 3G
    if they decide to release a cheaper fone based on the iPhone 4.
    It would have a new chip so it would be faster, so speed isn't incorrect tbh
    If they release a cheaper iPhone 4, it won't have a new chip. If it did, it would be a cheaper iPhone 5 (or whatever they end up calling it). A cheaper iPhone 4 will continue to have the existing chip, that's how it will be cheaper, much like the current 3GS still has it's own processor, not the A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

9to5Mac laying down their cards:

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/26/the-new-iphone/

Since so many people are expecting a hardware redesign and some bumped internals, what these are suggesting might suggest that some not seen yet software inclusions could ensure that the basic iPhone 4 design continues for another iteration.

I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hmmm.

Not overly sold on voice control/assistant unless they get it work well and be particularly useful. Voice control on the 3Gs/4 is crap. We all know that. So that needs a wake-up call. Prediction on that: It'll only use a US English word dictionary and still require a very clear voice to get it work naturally and confidently.

I can only see it being useful for sending texts while you're driving or something like that. Just like having voice control for a PC, it will always be slower. I have two hands with ten fingers, but only one mouth.

To me, full-featured voice control is a lot like posting youtube videos on a forum. Good for a bit of messing around and being lazy, but utterly useless and too slow when you're doing something serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

Battery life would be extended greatly if Apple would allow a simple software mod to turn off WiFi, 3G, Bluetooth when not needed. (not spending 5 mins going trough settings)
    I only want bluetooth in my car, when I am on Wifi I dont need 3G.
    I dont need push email if my battery is low.
    I would love a simple power save button or an app which turns off power hungry stuff when you are on 50% battery allowing you to turn on what you need as nessecery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

mrbig wrote: »
    Battery life would be extended greatly if Apple would allow a simple software mod to turn off WiFi, 3G, Bluetooth when not needed. (not spending 5 mins going trough settings)
    I only want bluetooth in my car, when I am on Wifi I dont need 3G.
    I dont need push email if my battery is low.
    I would love a simple power save button or an app which turns off power hungry stuff when you are on 50% battery allowing you to turn on what you need as nessecery.

is yours jailbroken? Download SB Settings, a simple push to change all of the above. Legend

is yours jailbroken? Download SB Settings, a simple push to change all of the above. Legend

Thanks for the tip,

Not Jail broken never really saw the advantage of it but i might give it a go.
    I'm on version 4.3.1 (I wanted the Hotspot upgrade) not sure if this can be JB yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

seamus wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Not overly sold on voice control/assistant unless they get it work well and be particularly useful. Voice control on the 3Gs/4 is crap. We all know that. So that needs a wake-up call. Prediction on that: It'll only use a US English word dictionary and still require a very clear voice to get it work naturally and confidently.

I can only see it being useful for sending texts while you're driving or something like that. Just like having voice control for a PC, it will always be slower. I have two hands with ten fingers, but only one mouth.

To me, full-featured voice control is a lot like posting youtube videos on a forum. Good for a bit of messing around and being lazy, but utterly useless and too slow when you're doing something serious.

I would imagine it will require a data connection for processing in the cloud, can't see a dual core A5 having the grunt to do a decent job of something as complex as speech recognition. On Android the speech control, which works so so, requires the processing to be offloaded to the cloud.

It would need to work flawlessly to be of any great use, once you have to start correcting errors on a regular basis it just makes it not worth the effort. Also as you allude to support for US English or UK/US English only cuts out a huge swathe of the non-english speaking market.

If this is actually to be the iPhone 5's killer feature, which I doubt, it needs to work almost flawlessly, ideally in multiple languages / dialects. If it does deliver, then it will be highly impressive, I just can't see it myself. It may be part of iPhone 5, but it won't be it's revolutionary feature imho.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

mrbig wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip,

Not Jail broken never really saw the advantage of it but i might give it a go.
    I'm on version 4.3.1 (I wanted the Hotspot upgrade) not sure if this can be JB yet?

It couldn't be any simpler to jailbreak 4.3.1

Just go to jailbreakme.com

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Is there many advantages to JB the phone? I have considered it before but never done it. May not be able to do it ATM anyway asa I'm running 4.3.5?

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    It couldn't be any simpler to jailbreak 4.3.1

Just go to jailbreakme.com

That Jailbreak was painless enough, I installed the SB app works very well. Thanks for the help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement