Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

seamus wrote: »
    To me, full-featured voice control is a lot like posting youtube videos on a forum. Good for a bit of messing around and being lazy, but utterly useless and too slow when you're doing something serious.

I agree and I think the same about face time and video calling in general but it's only when you see someone depending on the technology does it become something great in my books

For example skip to 1:32 in this video, Karl speaks the truth for an idiot

Imagine how much better a deaf persons life is now due to the clarity and speed of FaceTime / Skype? Sure video calling has been around for years but Apple seem to refine old technology for it to be absolutely flawless. I imagine they will do the exact same with voice integration.

Sure loads of devices have voice integration, I've tried it on my desire HD to find a location in Dublin 8, it got "14 Aungier Street" bit right, but for "Dublin 8" it interpreted me as saying "full blown aids" but I really think Apple will give it the polish it needs to be a great product for those who depend on voice controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I really doubt the next iPhone will be a 4GS ,

iOS 4 was released on June 21 while the iPhone 4 was released three days later

iOS 5 will be released in October followed by the iPhone 5 a few days later (Hopefully)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, it definitely won't be a 4GS, but it might be a 4S. ;)

I agree though. There may be a 4S, but it will most likely be released alongside a redesigned iPhone 5. While a lot of the rumours are shooting down the possibility of a redesign at the moment, I find it hard to believe Apple waited this long to release a speed-bumped iPhone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

9to5mac seem to have shot down their earlier prediction of there being no iPhone 5 this year in that last article. While they were reliable a few years back, they seem to be quite iffy the last year or two. While the voice recognition is highly believable and probable, they probably just put two and two together with Apple's acquisition of Siri.

Due to the big leak last year, I'm guessing Apple wants to keep the iPhone 5 air tight this year so won't believe anything til I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

It is said that iphone5 is not that good compared to iphone4.and it is more expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Johnmb wrote: »
    But to call a cheaper version the S would be breaking that established convention. The 3GS was not a cheaper version of the 3G
    No the 3GS is a cheaper than the iPhone 4.

People are suggesting that the iPhone 4S will be availible as cheaper than the 5. Not as a cheaper version of the 4, which is pointless.

I personal don't think they will,. It makes no sense. New iPhone 5, keep sellign the 4 and discontinue the 3GS
    If they release a cheaper iPhone 4, it won't have a new chip. If it did, it would be a cheaper iPhone 5 (or whatever they end up calling it). A cheaper iPhone 4 will continue to have the existing chip, that's how it will be cheaper, much like the current 3GS still has it's own processor, not the A4
    Then how is it a new phone if not upgraded internally???

I hope the 5 isn't much better than the 4. Everyoen still buys the 5, adn I get a cheap upgrade to the 4 from my network. fingers crossed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It is said that iphone5 is not that good compared to iphone4.and it is more expensive

It is also said that it hasn't been released, nor have the prices.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

So, after 23 pages and multiple other threads - no one really has a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

iniqutous wrote:
    I would imagine it will require a data connection for processing in the cloud, can't see a dual core A5 having the grunt to do a decent job of something as complex as speech recognition. On Android the speech control, which works so so, requires the processing to be offloaded to the cloud.

It would need to work flawlessly to be of any great use, once you have to start correcting errors on a regular basis it just makes it not worth the effort. Also as you allude to support for US English or UK/US English only cuts out a huge swathe of the non-english speaking market.

If this is actually to be the iPhone 5's killer feature, which I doubt, it needs to work almost flawlessly, ideally in multiple languages / dialects. If it does deliver, then it will be highly impressive, I just can't see it myself. It may be part of iPhone 5, but it won't be it's revolutionary feature imho.

It is stongly rumoured that the new "Assistant" and improved voice control (which is largely pants in iOS 4) will be using the technology from Siri - a company Apple bought a little over a year ago.

http://siri.com/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 happyfounder

It is said that the price of Iphone5 has been released ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

It is said that the price of Iphone5 has been released ...

can you link to who "said" it?

"some say it has a self perpetuating charging ability, and a direct line to tim cook......all we know is..."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It is also said that Noah took two of every species of animal on board a big wooden boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Mellor wrote: »
    Johnmb wrote: »
    But to call a cheaper version the S would be breaking that established convention. The 3GS was not a cheaper version of the 3G
    No the 3GS is a cheaper than the iPhone 4.
    The 3GS was so named long before the 4 existed. It was an improved 3G, but they chose to get the naming back in line with the generation, so kept the 3 and gust added a letter.
    People are suggesting that the iPhone 4S will be availible as cheaper than the 5. Not as a cheaper version of the 4, which is pointless.
    The iPhone 4 is likely to be kept on as the entry level phone. It may not be exactly the same as the current version, for one thing they may lower it's storage like they did with the 3GS, for another, they may change the glass if they can't get the manufacturing process to be cheaper.
    I personal don't think they will,. It makes no sense. New iPhone 5, keep sellign the 4 and discontinue the 3GS
    Which is what they'll be doing. They just might change the casing on the 4, thereby causing them to differentiate the name, especially if the 5 does keep the same form factor.
    Then how is it a new phone if not upgraded internally???
    The 4 won't be a new phone, much like the 3GS was not a new phone when the 4 was released. The 4 will continue to be the 4, just with possibly smaller capacity and different casing, when the 5 is released.
    I hope the 5 isn't much better than the 4. Everyoen still buys the 5, adn I get a cheap upgrade to the 4 from my network. fingers crossed
    I'm sure it will be better, I really hope it is. I've no intention of buying it. No matter how much better it is, my 4 will still do everything I need it to do, and should last me for another year or so before I have to replace it (with the 6! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 graw123

I want one now!! I just don't want it to cost me my life savings! Let's hope they have a more realistic price for the handset!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Vodafone Australia have thrown up a teaser about the "biggest smartphone of the year." Possibly getting prepared themselves for the iPhone 5/4S/4G whatever you want to call it.

With most rumors indicating a October 4th announcement the invites realistically must be sent out today or tomorrow. (Usual days they send them on...possibly Thursday) A few rumor sites saying it could be 4pm PST. So we'll find out sometime later on tonight. Or possibly tomorrow night if it will be announced Oct 4th.

EDIT: Apple Insider also point to an October 14th UK release alongside 4 other countries. Ireland could also be included this time around.

Golden Master of iOS 5 expected this week by most. Been a while since Beta 7 was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Dades wrote: »
    It is also said that Noah took two of every species of animal on board a big wooden boat!

Fcukin hero :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I doubt we'll get it at the same time as the UK, we don't even have a store.

Maybe another trip to Belfast is on the cards. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

for those that dont wana click :D
    Apple has confirmed that it is holding a press event on October 4 at 10am PT, with an invite to what’s expected to be the iPhone 5 event just now dropping into the SlashGear inbox. As tipped, the big reveal – which is expected to be new Apple CEO Tim Cook’s first major appearance at a product launch – will take place at the company’s Cupertino campus, with the tagline “Let’s Talk iPhone.”

The reasoning behind choosing that location is unclear, though earlier this week we speculated that Apple could be preparing a 4G LTE demonstration using its own base-station equipment installed in Cupertino. That would allow the company to show off the high-speed connectivity tipped to be present in the iPhone 5, without relying on its carrier partners having coverage at any of the usual San Francisco venues Apple has used before.

The usual flurry of pre-launch rumors have suggested Apple’s iPhone 5 will feature a dual-core Apple A5 processor along with an 8-megapixel camera, iOS 5, and a larger display in a thinner, broader chassis. Other speculation has indicated a second, cheaper model – tentatively billed the iPhone 4S – could be in the works as well, keeping to the aesthetic of the existing iPhone 4 but targeting prepay markets.

We won’t know for sure until next week, and there are rumors that the much-anticipated Facebook for iPad app will also make its debut. SlashGear will be liveblogging the whole event, so join us next Tuesday at 10am PT at http://live.slashgear.com/ for all the news as it’s announced!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

macrumorsh.png
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Two of every kind (male and female), not two of every species. He was told to take only one pair of unclean animals and 7 pairs of everything else. :p [/pedantic]

Back on topic, I wonder how those of us who upgraded to the 4 around launch and took 18 month contracts out will fair for an upgrade?

Jesus those rumor sites get it right sometimes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

faceman wrote: »
    Back on topic, I wonder how those of us who upgraded to the 4 around launch and took 18 month contracts out will fair for an upgrade?

It will be interesting, I'm on an 18 monther since day 1 of Iphone 4 with o2. Their new data plans are a joke so I'm not sticking with them, I dont mind waiting another three months to be rid of them.

DubDJ wrote: »
    On Thursday (22nd) Apple reset all iCloud backups and they've also set a date to reset iTunes Match for the 26th. Which seems to signal the iOS 5 GM seed could be soon available. Which would mean the final release of iOS 5 (and the next gen iPhone) is only around the cornor.

As well as that AllThingsD posted the potential press conference date as the 4th. And now AppleInsider is reporting that Apple are blacking out holidays for certain weeks in October. See here Which is the case when they are releasing a new major product e.g. iPhone 5.

Also twitter anouncened a developer event focused on iOS 5 ingergration for the 10th so this ties in nicely to the announcements, especially the iOS 5 release.

So this is my prediction for iOS 5 & the next gen iPhone release timeline.

September 27th/28th - Invites are sent out
    October 4th - iPhone announcement + iOS 5 release date set
    October 10th - iOS 5 public release
    October 14th - next generation iPhone goes on sale in US
    October 27th/28th - iPhone released in Ireland

This is based heavily on the latest rumours that are floating around.

Let's see how it fairs out :D

2 Down, 3 to go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Im on a corporate deal with Vodafone through work (I pay the bill but its an all in for a fixed fee with some data) and I'm due an upgrade in October. I suspect because my plan is generous enough that they'll make it up on the cost of the phone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finally an FM Radio??? :pac:

iphone5.png

* May not be official promotional graphic

Announcement October 4th

.... Hold on just starting the iPhone 6 rumour thread now! :D

Finally an FM Radio??? :pac:

iphone5.png

* May not be official promotional graphic

It isn't this is the official image from the email

iphoneinvite.jpg

At first I thought iMessage and new Maps functions as it had been rumored.

But it just looks like its giving the date, time, location (e.g. cupertino which is not the norm) and showing it's a new message from Apple. So there really not giving much away.

EDIT: Guess I was wrong seems they all mean a lot more than I thought : Tuaw.com Hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

But thats not the message icon, its the calls icon so maybe they are saying there is only one new phone on the way. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

But thats the icon for when you have a missed call, or a new voicemail, if your phone is set up that way.

So maybe its that apple has left a voicemail invitation?... :confused:

Nah, i dunno either.. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement