Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

"Let's Talk iPhone" does imply the rumoured Voice Control features anyway.

Anywhoo, here's a pic of a supposed iPhone 5 case against a iPhone 4 case.. Gives a good indication as to how thin the phone is:

iphone-5-case-vs-iphone-4-case-mic-gadget.jpg?w=500&h=266

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eh, I dunno if you guys are taking the piss, but..

From the top left, clockwise, it's on Tuesday 4th, at 10am, being held in Apple HQ in Cupertino where 1 new phone will be revealed.

Not rocket surgery tbh. Sometimes if you look too deep in the pool, you miss the stuff floating on top :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

Been told by O2 staff, its an iphone 4S. Slimmer, larger screen. She knew nothing of spec or new features though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

amg-slurp wrote: »
    Been told by O2 staff, its an iphone 4S. Slimmer, larger screen. She knew nothing of spec or new features though
    She knew nothing, except the same rumours we have heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

She knew nothing of spec or new features though

Or in another more accurate way, she knew nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I'm amazed how they can always keep these things so secret. Thousands of workers in China have seen the new iphone by now and there's still no concrete information out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dman001 wrote: »
    She knew nothing, except the same rumours we have heard.
    They'd hardly call brand new hardware an iPhone 4S!

Honestly, I'd listen to my granny over an O2 employee. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

When would Apple discuss new product strategy with an Irish O2 shop worker...seriously....think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Johnmb wrote: »
    The 4 won't be a new phone, much like the 3GS was not a new phone when the 4 was released. The 4 will continue to be the 4, just with possibly smaller capacity and different casing, when the 5 is released.

Your not making any sense.
    We were talking about the rumour that there will be 2 new phones*???
    You're arguement that the 4 won't be new when the 5 is released like the 3GS was not a new phone when the 4 was released is retarded. As they never realesed two phones before. If they market it as two new iphones, be it 4S 4+ etc, it will have to be new and not just a 4 with a cheaper case. i don't see apple doing low end.

*Again, I don't believe they will release 2 new phones. I think there will be a new iPhone5 and the 4 will continue as is, maybe as 8gb and 16gb (with the 5 @ 32 and 64gb)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

The event is on 10am local time- what time is that here and where can it be viewed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

About 6pm our time, I think.

It may not be viewable anywhere online. Apple don't always offer a stream. The blogs will do live updates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

iggy wrote: »
    The event is on 10am local time- what time is that here and where can it be viewed?

It will be 6pm here. Unless Apple live stream it you can't view it until it's over, then Apple upload after a few hours to iTunes as a podcast.

You can view it via live blog from the various tech sites like engadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I'm amazed how they can always keep these things so secret. Thousands of workers in China have seen the new iphone by now and there's still no concrete information out there.

That's because they're all locked up in compounds after they finish work.;)

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/27/how-the-teardrop-iphone-design-wound-up-in-the-hands-of-every-case-maker-in-china/

Ok so now they are saying that the new design and larger screen will be for the cheap model and it will have the same soc and ram as the iPhone 4.

The phone that will look like the iPhone 4 will have the upgraded hardware.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So the cheapskates get a bigger screen?

*cough* bollocks! *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not convinced that there would be any prototypes of any form in the wild in China. Just too risky. Any prototypes would be shipped to California and tested there, IMO.

If anything, it's more likely to be an early-to-market ripoff, this would explain the lower-end electronics. The company who bought it spent a good bit of cash for it, so they're not going to be quick to admit that they've been had.

Though I see nothing in the article to assume that the "full" iP5 will use an iP4 case. According to the article, it had a faux iP4 case covering an iP5.

If it was actually an official prototype, then it's more likely that it's an example of the rumoured "budget" iPhone, but there's no reason to suppose that all versions of the iP5 won't look the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mad muffin wrote: »
    http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/27/how-the-teardrop-iphone-design-wound-up-in-the-hands-of-every-case-maker-in-china/

Ok so now they are saying that the new design and larger screen will be for the cheap model and it will have the same soc and ram as the iPhone 4.

The phone that will look like the iPhone 4 will have the upgraded hardware.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Man, why do you do it to yourself? Wait until the 4th, until that everything else is just bollix......:D

whiterebel wrote: »
    Man, why do you do it to yourself? Wait until the 4th, until that everything else is just bollix......:D

lol I know :o

The 4th can't come soon enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If the iPhone 5 is 12.3cm by 6.8cm it's bigger than the SGSII and the HTC Sensation in terms of surface area. Can't see Jobs who said 3.5" was as big as a screen needed to be plumping for something that would be > or equal to the 4.3" on the Android flagship phones de jour.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Inquitus wrote: »
    If the iPhone 5 is 12.3cm by 6.8cm it's bigger than the SGSII and the HTC Sensation in terms of surface area. Can't see Jobs who said 3.5" was as big as a screen needed to be plumping for something that would be > or equal to the 4.3" on the Android flagship phones de jour.

But Jobs isn't doing this now, right? I do agree and remember his comments that some other devices could not be held comfortably. If I remember correctly this was when he was discussing the antenna problem. Still, looking forward to the announcement which will at least stop the wild rumors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Tazium wrote: »
    But Jobs isn't doing this now, right? I do agree and remember his comments that some other devices could not be held comfortably. If I remember correctly this was when he was discussing the antenna problem. Still, looking forward to the announcement which will at least stop the wild rumors.

Ya Jobs stepped down a few weeks ago and they threw all the plans out the window and started from scratch. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him make an appearance next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

jenno86 wrote: »
    Ya Jobs stepped down a few weeks ago and they threw all the plans out the window and started from scratch. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him make an appearance next week.

I'd expect him to be there and be surprised if he isn't. And as for the specs/plans. We simply don't know what they have done, internal Apple plans are only speculated on by external people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Mellor wrote: »
    Your not making any sense.
    We were talking about the rumour that there will be 2 new phones*???
    You're arguement that the 4 won't be new when the 5 is released like the 3GS was not a new phone when the 4 was released is retarded. As they never realesed two phones before. If they market it as two new iphones, be it 4S 4+ etc, it will have to be new and not just a 4 with a cheaper case. i don't see apple doing low end.

*Again, I don't believe they will release 2 new phones. I think there will be a new iPhone5 and the 4 will continue as is, maybe as 8gb and 16gb (with the 5 @ 32 and 64gb)
    There aren't going to be two new phones, one will be based on an existing one (either an upgraded 3GS, or a downgraded 4 imo). If there were going to be two new phones, they'd be the 5 & 6, and Apple would definitely be changing the naming conventions in that case. As for Apple doing low end, that was the whole point of the rumor, that they were in fact going to do a low end model (i.e. the 2nd model) to go after the PAYG market, specifically in China. If they do that, the low end model will be based on one of the existing models (3GS, 4, or 5), nothing retarded about it, pretty obvious in fact. Either way, we'll all find out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Tazium wrote: »
    I'd expect him to be there and be surprised if he isn't.

If Jobs did turn up it would look like he was hand holding and/or can't let go. Wouldn't look good for anyone.

I'm very interested in seeing what they do with the iPod Touch - seeing if they add 3g and see how that will fit into their line up. Obv such a device, when jailbroken, could swallow up iphone sales.

Found this interesting on it
    http://www.beatweek.com/news/9508-ipod-touch-5-faces-3g-parity-or-cancellation-as-of-oct-4th-apple-event/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Inquitus wrote: »
    Can't see Jobs who said 3.5" was as big as a screen needed to be plumping for something that would be > or equal to the 4.3" on the Android flagship phones de jour.

Jobs often says one thing only to turn around and do precisely the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Please don't increase size of phone (whatever about screen).
    It's just right the way it is - don't want it like Samsung Galaxy II - that's too big!

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Please don't increase size of phone (whatever about screen).
    It's just right the way it is - don't want it like Samsung Galaxy II - that's too big!

I know what you mean.

If they made it the same as the iPhone 4 but slimmer, say the same as the current iPod touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

mad muffin wrote: »
    I know what you mean.

If they made it the same as the iPhone 4 but slimmer, say the same as the current iPod touch.

Jaysus if you are worried about the size of the iPhone 5, god help you when the iPhone 6 comes out ;)

2012iboard_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

These rumors of two iPhones have been around at every iPhone launch over the last 2 - 3 years. But it always just turns out to be rumor...

Even the iPhone might not be a major form factor upgrade. It could just be a bumped up iPhone 4. After all the 4 was the first major form factor jump in the iPhone history. Other than the antenna it was very successful. I personally love the iPhone 4 and think it's the best looking phone out there.

Apple did say that 2011 was a very software focused year... iOS 5, iCloud, OSX Lion... it could very well just be internal improvements with the focus going on a better OS. For those that have been holding out for the new iPhone let's hope it is a newer model. But still a speedier, slimmer iPhone 4 with better specs i'd be quite happy with. However the wait would have annoyed me.

Everything does point at a small speed improvement for this next iPhone, all except the timing. Why wait 15 months to release something with small improvements and no form factor change?

Only Oct 4th will tell :D

On another note Amazon's "iPad killer" tablet details were leaked moments before the announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Changes to Apples database point towards a tweaked iPhone 4 (Probably 4S) & new white iPod Touch to be announced on Oct 4th. So maybe no iPhone 5?

EDIT: Linky here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement