Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

DubDJ wrote: »
    Changes to Apples database point towards a tweaked iPhone 4 (Probably 4S) & new white iPod Touch to be announced on Oct 4th. So maybe no iPhone 5?
    Those changes are meaningless. They are not going to update with anything that would give away anything to do with their announcement, and even if the new phone only has an A5 soc in it as the change then those codes are highly unlikely to relate to it. They'd be more likely to relate to an iPhone 4 with different storage to the norm than to a phone with a different processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Johnmb wrote: »
    Those changes are meaningless. They are not going to update with anything that would give away anything to do with their announcement, and even if the new phone only has an A5 soc in it as the change then those codes are highly unlikely to relate to it. They'd be more likely to relate to an iPhone 4 with different storage to the norm than to a phone with a different processor.

Yeah there were 3 individual codes added to the system that were the same as the iPod Touch however with a suffix of "a" which looks like a white model.

Then the iPhone one had a similar suffix to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

DubDJ wrote: »
    Announcement October 4th

.... Hold on just starting the iPhone 6 rumour thread now! :D

Iphone 6? .... Have you heard something?
    I'm on the 4....should I wait for the 6?
    What will it look like?
    What features will iOS6 have?
    Oooh oooh oohh Tell tell tell!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

What will it look like?

I'm betting the 6 will have NFC payment built in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What will it look like?

Inquitus seems to know something about the iPhone 6 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

What will it look like?

Yeah I opened a happy meal and found a prototype iPhone 6 inside. Those stupid Apple employees always loosing their prototypes.

If I was you i'd sit tight and hold out. The iPhone 6 is rumour to be released in the next 4 - 60 Weeks :D Haha

It's not even funny though because a rumour thread will probably kick off before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There aren't going to be two new phones, one will be based on an existing one (either an upgraded 3GS, or a downgraded 4 imo). If there were going to be two new phones, they'd be the 5 & 6, and Apple would definitely be changing the naming conventions in that case. As for Apple doing low end, that was the whole point of the rumor, that they were in fact going to do a low end model (i.e. the 2nd model) to go after the PAYG market, specifically in China. If they do that, the low end model will be based on one of the existing models (3GS, 4, or 5), nothing retarded about it, pretty obvious in fact. Either way, we'll all find out next week.
    That's exactly what I said all along???
    I give up. I don't know if you strugglemy posts, or just want to argue.

The retard comments was in relation to you using the 3GS and 4 produced at the same time as a reference point for the supposed two new models. It makes no sense as they weren't released as two models.

Lets wait until tuesday.
    In a months time there will be two iphones avail, i'll prob get one, which is to be decided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Mellor wrote: »
    That's exactly what I said all along???
    I give up. I don't know if you strugglemy posts, or just want to argue.
    You've been saying that the rumors are that there will be two new models. I've been pointing out to you that the rumors have been saying that there will be one new model, and one low end model (which is only new in the sense that Apple have never released a low end model before, but will not be a new model, it will be based on an existing one). Then you argued with me saying that there would be no low end model, just two new models with the same chip, something none of the serious rumor sites have been saying from what I've read. Some have said there'd be no new model at all, just an upgraded 4 with the A5 soc, which seems to be where you are getting confused. If that happened, along with a 5 separate, then fine, but I don't think any of the sites have really been pushing that idea.
    The retard comments was in relation to you using the 3GS and 4 produced at the same time as a reference point for the supposed two new models. It makes no sense as they weren't released as two models.
    Here you go again. One minute you are saying "That's exactly what I said all along???" in relation to what I said about there not being two new models, now you're back to your two new models claims. There aren't going to be two new models, the rumors have clearly being saying there will be one new top end model and one low end (based on a 4), although now the latest rumors are backtracking on that. Any low end model for China will be tough to pull off as the 4 is very expensive to make unless they change the materials, or have designed the 5 in a way that they can change the materials to build two versions simultaneously.

[QUOTELets wait until tuesday.
    In a months time there will be two iphones avail, i'll prob get one, which is to be decided.[/QUOTE]
    There'll likely be the new 5 (or whatever they decide to call it) and the 4 with a lower capacity, unless they've designed the 5 in a way that it, as one model family, can replace both the high end and the introductory end phones that they've been using two models for up to now. There may also be a low end model, based on one of the existing models (or maybe even an iPod Touch), although that is less likely, and might only be released in China if at all. Ultimately, I can't see them dropping the 4 after just over 1 year, so that will replace the 3GS as normal, and I can't see them having 3 concurrent phone models, so the 3GS will be dropped, leaving the 4, 5, or Touch to be adapted as any low end model, something they may put off for a while as Android is coming under more and more threats and may not have to be competed with by Apple in the same way after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Does anyone remember the reservations website that was posted in the iPhone 4 thread.

If the iPhone 5 comes out in the UK before it does in Ireland might go up to Belfast again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Could this be real? Or just a photoshop job?

iphone4sbarcode.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

It's a shop. But a good shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Id say it will be white... White is coming back, look at the ipad 2..

Its weird Apple started the everything have to be white then the switch back to black and now back to white!

And to be honest they are correct with the trends every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

iphone4sbarcode.jpg

It's a shop,
    I can tell by some of the pixels and I've seen a few shops in my time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

afatbollix wrote: »
    Id say it will be white... White is coming back, look at the ipad 2..

Its weird Apple started the everything have to be white then the switch back to black and now back to white!

And to be honest they are correct with the trends every time!
    I assume that's the joke right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

iphone4sbarcode.jpg

When you make the photo bigger you can see that the 4S bit is different.
    Well to my eyes anyway.

wush06 wrote: »
    When you make the photo bigger you can see that the 4S bit is different.
    Well to my eyes anyway.

I see it too.
    It IS a very good shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Someone decided to build a Prototype of the iPhone 5 based on the design of the cases:

IMG_0192-500x333.jpg

http://www.giga.de/benm/2011/09/29/iphone-5-this-is-our-design-prototype/

I can definitely imagine it looking something like this. Very MacBook-esque. Not a fan of the bush aluminium on a mobile device though, much prefer the glass despite it beign more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Mr.S wrote: »
    Care to expand on that:)? Whats wrong with the "pixels"?

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just curious :pac:

this may go some ways towards explaining

500pxShopped.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

After that Steve Jobs photo that everyone (including me) thought was fake, I've come to the conclusion that nobody can really tell if something has been 'shopped or not by looking at the pixels. Especially the people claiming to be Photoshop experts. If there isn't something obvious that jumps out at you, like a missing arm or something, then there's a good chance it could be real no matter how weird the pixels look.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Someone decided to build a Prototype of the iPhone 5 based on the design of the cases:

IMG_0192-500x333.jpg

christ.

right *claps hands* i'm done. when people are making prototypes based on rumour, leaks and hearsay....then you know the hype machine just exploded.

i'm out, till the 4th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You've been saying that the rumors are that there will be two new models...

Here you go again. One minute you are saying "That's exactly what I said all along???" in relation to what I said about there not being two new models, now you're back to your two new models claims.
    Seriously, can you not read?
    I personal don't think they will,. It makes no sense. New iPhone 5, keep selling the 4 and discontinue the 3GS
    *Again, I don't believe they will release 2 new phones. I think there will be a new iPhone5 and the 4 will continue as is, maybe as 8gb and 16gb (with the 5 @ 32 and 64gb)

That's what i said at the start. That's what I still think.
    Any time i mentioned a 2nd new model, I stated that I didn't think it would happen. to be clear, a second new model means a soemthing reasonable different to the 4.

Apple being the hype machine that it is, I wouldn't be surprised if they put some spin on the current iPhone4 to market it as a 4S, (without it being a new model).
    There aren't going to be two new models, the rumors have clearly being saying there will be one new top end model and one low end (based on a 4),
    How is that different from?
    *Again, I don't believe they will release 2 new phones. I think there will be a new iPhone5 and the 4 will continue as is, maybe as 8gb and 16gb (with the 5 @ 32 and 64gb)

What exactly in my posts are you disagreeing with?
    We might differ sligtly on what constitutes a new model, or how cheap low end is. But essentially we sayign the say thing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 opendoor2

I am fan of All apple goods...
    It is said that it will come out On Oct4th, looking forward to buy one...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

opendoor2 wrote: »
    I am fan of All apple goods...
    It is said that it will come out On Oct4th, looking forward to buy one...

it will not be out on Oct 4th, it may be released but deffo not available to buy.
    You will have to wait a month or so to buy one imo.

I won't be eligible to upgrade until Dec 28th so hopefully by then the high demand and stock shortages will have died down and any teething problems have been ironed out.

What I'm really looking forward to though is the iOS 5 release.
    Would it be fairly safe to assume that we should see that by the end of October then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I hear it's going to have an in built lighter and a phase tester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Does anyone know what carriers will be carrying the iPhone 5 at launch? Ideally I would want to get it with meteor, but it took them long enough to get the iPhone that I'm not sure if that's possible.

I'm torn between preordering it from Apple and going on billpay - I think billpay seems like better value since you're getting the phone for fairly cheap and a free upgrade at the end of it all...it makes more sense than just shelling out for a new phone every few years.

Jeebus wrote: »
    I think billpay seems like better value since you're getting the phone for fairly cheap and a free upgrade at the end of it all...it makes more sense than just shelling out for a new phone every few years.

i think you'd be wrong

subsidised phone price + line rental x the amount of months in a lengthy contract > full apple retail price.

plus the upgrade at the end isnt "free" as you may still have to pay for a new phone and get locked into another lengthy contract.

i've said it before, if you can afford to buy sim free, do it. i just think an iphone is mad money sim free, and i dont mind a contract for now so thats the route i'll take.

i think you'd be wrong

subsidised phone price + line rental x the amount of months in a lengthy contract > full apple retail price.

plus the upgrade at the end isnt "free" as you may still have to pay for a new phone and get locked into another lengthy contract.

i've said it before, if you can afford to buy sim free, do it. i just think an iphone is mad money sim free, and i dont mind a contract for now so thats the route i'll take.

Are any of the networks available competitive with data now on prepay in comparison to the contract data bundles.
    It's been a while since I was prepay but I remember the old tinterweb costing me a bomb at the time with O2. About 7 a week just for very limited allowance on web.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jeebus wrote: »
    Does anyone know what carriers will be carrying the iPhone 5 at launch?

All official carriers will launch it on launch date IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Are any of the networks available competitive with data now on prepay in comparison to the contract data bundles.
    It's been a while since I was prepay but I remember the old tinterweb costing me a bomb at the time with O2. About 7 a week just for very limited allowance on web.
    O2 have a mobile internet option (€9.99 for 700MB) for Prepay, it renews every 30 days.
    I seem to remember 3 have an 'All you can eat' offer on at the moment, but I don't have the details (I just couldn't bring myself to click on a link that had Jedward on it!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement