Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

i'm out, till the 4th

See you on the other side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

i think you'd be wrong

subsidised phone price + line rental x the amount of months in a lengthy contract > full apple retail price.

that's an inaccurate formula. If it still stands up after the changes below, you are right:

subsidised phone price + future line rental discounted to NPV x the amount of months in a lengthy contract > full apple retail price + call, sms, data usage costs on prepay discounted to NPV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

How quick can you preorder after the announcement next Tuesday from Apple?

I have cash waiting and wanna get my hands on one via the quickest route.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

On Vodafone if you top up by €30 you have 250mb for 30 days included in your free talk and text to other Vodafone numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I'm currently trialing a 3 sim in iP4. If you top by 20e each month they offer free calls and txt to any
    network at the weekends, free 3 to 3 calls and all you can eat data. Fair usage is 15Gb a month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The only way tell if billpay or pre-pay is for you is to look at your usage (text/calls/data) in conjunction with all the available price plans for both options.

Also you have to take into account what carriers your "most called numbers" are on, as it can be a huge thing to get, say, free Vodafone to Vodafone calls and texts if your missis/mister/mum is on the same network.

It's completely subjective. And given we don't know what the carriers are going to offer in terms of bundles or handset prices, there's no point in speculating at this stage.

tl;dr? Nobody can answer that question for you, and neither can you until the prices come out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Apple stores covered in jizz

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/apple-stores-covered-in-jizz-201109284358/

some great lines such as:

" climax in anticipation of the very-slightly-different rectangle..."

"iPhone 4 sh*t now. Want iPhone 5. Where iPhone 5? Oooooo. Oooooooooo. Oo."

"Details of the features and design of the new iPhone have yet to be released but many expect it to be a phone, for f*ck's sake."

hahaha - enjoy the weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

iggy wrote: »
    How quick can you preorder after the announcement next Tuesday

I'd expect that it will be the same as iphone 4, no preorders but first come first served on the day of release.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'd expect that it will be the same as iphone 4, no preorders but first come first served on the day of release.

iPhone 4 had preoders from their Belfast store, so could be worth keeping an eye on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newme2006

Apple stores covered in jizz

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/apple-stores-covered-in-jizz-201109284358/

some great lines such as:

" climax in anticipation of the very-slightly-different rectangle..."

"Details of the features and design of the new iPhone have yet to be released but many expect it to be a phone, for f*ck's sake."

love it!! as a daily crawler of the web awaiting any sniff of iphone 5 related info, i love anything that puts the whole thing into perspective!!.. im a nutjob!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Interesting piece on macrumors, suggesting the iPhone 4S could be the real deal.

unledzwt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Interesting piece on macrumors, suggesting the iPhone 4S could be the real deal.

unledzwt.jpg

I very much expect an iPhone 4S as the new generation iPhone announced on Tuesday. However I can expect a lot of people to be very pissed after waiting so long to get their hands on the new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

DubDJ wrote: »
    I very much expect an iPhone 4S as the new generation iPhone announced on Tuesday. However I can expect a lot of people to be very pissed after waiting so long to get their hands on the new model.

Indeed!! There will be quite a few aneurysms, heart attacks and burst blood vessels blamed on Apple if that happens!
    I'd be fuming if I'd waited an extra 3 or 4 months to upgrade and only a 4S made an appearance.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It will play badly for apple PR wise if there isn't significantly enhanced hardware, especially considering a lot of the delays to the new model were supposedly hardware build problems.

If it comes down to a phone that's taken over a year to arrive and the PR is only that it is 'faster' we will see quite the backlash. The story will be that they couldn't make the new hardware work in time to launch this year.

However it would prob keep iPhone 4 owners happy with ioS5 and a new model next summer.

Personally although a lot of sites are claiming the hardware won't be different I'd be very surprised if there isn't new hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Given the delay, I’ll be surprised if there isn’t a redesigned “iPhone 5” this year, but I can understand the rational if there isn’t. For a start, I don’t think it’s practical to expect Apple to release a redesigned iPhone every 12-16 months for the foreseeable future. I suspect hardware innovation is reaching the stage where Apple might like to stick with a particular form-factor for at least one more revision before changing it.

Similarly, I don’t think it’s practical to expect Apple to release a major iOS update every 12 months. If indeed there is no “iPhone 5” this year, then that would suggest to me that Apple decided to focus on software this year, leaving the major hardware upgrade until next year. That would mean iOS 5 and the iPhone 4S this year, while next year would be iOS 5.5 and the iPhone 5, and so on. This would allow Apple to alternate focusing on software and hardware each year.

Focus is a key part of Job’s philosophy after all. Apple don’t usually release new redesigned iMacs or Macbooks at the same time as they release a major new version of OS X. The iPhone’s software is just as important as its hardware. And iOS 5 and iCloud is a pretty major upgrade. In any case, retaining the iPhone 4’s form-factor doesn’t rule out significant internal changes, including new features like voice control, etc.

We'll find out on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

retaining the iPhone 4’s form-factor doesn’t rule out significant internal changes, including new features like voice control, etc.

You could also add changing the antenna position, it's still a problem, I don't think it's ever been addressed properly. It'll be interesting to see what they do about it.

The 4S will have some minor tweaks but it's going to be all about the software this time round, anyone waiting is going to be upset as the price of the iphone 4 will rise if the networks know were not going to see anything radical this year.

Could still be an iphone mini in the closet though, they still need to make a phone for everyone not just the rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

You could also add changing the antenna position, it's still a problem, I don't think it's ever been addressed properly. It'll be interesting to see what they do about it.

The 4S will have some minor tweaks but it's going to be all about the software this time round, anyone waiting is going to be upset as the price of the iphone 4 will rise if the networks know were not going to see anything radical this year.

Could still be an iphone mini in the closet though, they still need to make a phone for everyone not just the rich.

you hardly need to be rich to own an iphone !

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Makes sense. no point changing the body so soon after the last change - that would suggest that the last design was poor.

Same case + faster processor + better camera = 4s

The thing that could really make it look different is a big screen or aluminium back.

Then sell everyone the updates to ios5

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭airsofter.adam

the question is.. will it blend.. :pac:

Makes sense. no point changing the body so soon after the last change - that would suggest that the last design was poor.

Same case + faster processor + better camera = 4s

The thing that could really make it look different is a big screen or aluminium back.

Then sell everyone the updates to ios5

As an owner of an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 there is nothing about the 4S that is tempting me to upgrade.

If its a redesign, sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

My iTunes account was disabled yesterday 'for security reasons'. I had to change my password with a new criteria. This time it had to contain a capital letter aswell as a number.
    It this something to do with the forthcoming upgrades?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    My iTunes account was disabled yesterday 'for security reasons'. I had to change my password with a new criteria. This time it had to contain a capital letter aswell as a number.
    It this something to do with the forthcoming upgrades?

No they've had that for a while now. I changed my password after the PSN hack.

mad muffin wrote: »
    No they've had that for a while now. I changed my password after the PSN hack.

Confused now. What has Apple to do with the PSN hack?

I've had the iTunes account for over a year with the same password and was never asked to change it till yesterday.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

I've had the iTunes account for over a year with the same password and was never asked to change it till yesterday.:confused:

Maybe he was using the same email and password for his iTunes account as his PSN account

Brian017 wrote: »
    Maybe he was using the same email and password for his iTunes account as his PSN account

Maybe so. But how would Apple know that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My iTunes account was disabled yesterday 'for security reasons'.
    Usually this means someone was trying to login to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

This rumor of a cheaper iPhone won't go away.... hurry up tuesday!!!!

iphonejt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

unledzwt.jpg
    According to TUAW's "sources", there is no such strings in the iTunes Beta. I find it hard to believe that Apple themselves would leak the name.

• Advertisement

Nothing :p

What I meant was when the PSN got hacked I decided to change all my passwords. So I had to use a Capitol and a number.

Maybe Apple is making this mandatory for all users now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement