Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

They are doing a great job of building up the hype. And the extra few months wait is making the rumors grow to a level that they've never had before.

But I wonder what will happen if they do release an iPhone 4S rather than a huge form factor redesign. I'd say a lot of people will just switch to Android phones, both because of being pissed off and wanting a change.

I think the iPhone 4 is excellent. I love the form factor. And never suffered with any Antenna problems. But id be highly annoyed if I waited so long for such a small update. It would be great if they released it with a similar design but a larger screen and the extra processor and camera upgrades. I can see that easing the pain a little for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

At this stage, I'm guessing two models. The iPhone 5 and a cheaper iPhone 4. There are rumours indicating the cheaper model will infact get the updated A5 processor, so could receive the iPhone 4S branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

I'm not buying the whole Apple "HAVE" to change the form factor.

They showed with the 3GS that they don't have to redesign the form factor massively, but just add extra features to iOS.

One thing a lot of rumours haven't been going on about is the camera functionality - I hope for more powerful editing, after effects, timer, folder editing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I'm not buying the whole Apple "HAVE" to change the form factor.

They showed with the 3GS that they don't have to redesign the form factor massively, but just add extra features to iOS.

One thing a lot of rumours haven't been going on about is the camera functionality - I hope for more powerful editing, after effects, timer, folder editing etc.

In fairness they do need to update the form factor this time, with a lot of users having had the iPhone 4 for the last 15 months. There will be a lot of people (including myself) pissed off if it took them 15 months to put a new camera and chip into the same phone and give iPhone 4 users no incentive to upgrade.

With Steve Jobs having stepped down, its even more important Apple are seen to be developing inspiring innovative products during this Keynote event than any other. So it would be catastrophic to the Apple philosophy if they cop out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I agree with the last couple of posters, it would be fair enough if it was only just a dual core A5 iphone 4 update, IF it had come in June. However, seeing as they've taken another 4 months to get around it, it raises the expectations bar somewhat. I know we hear enough about them in the news for other reason, but i think "the markets" would only be happy is there was a new form factor for the iphone

Whats more, with the growing reputation of the Galaxy S range of samsungs raising androids profile, and the almost imminent launch of Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, as well as the launch of the 3rd gen Google Nexus phone, the "Nexus Prime", it may give a lot of iOS users the incentive to at least try out android. For those reasons, i reckon Apple really do need to go beyond expectations on Tuesday.

I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest, then again, when i think back on the ipad 2 launch on the Spring, there was a lot of speculation as to whether it would actually have a dual core chip or not, it turned out it did, so that shows that just because there hasnt been any concrete evidence of the existence of the new form factor iphone, that doesn't mean it wont show up on Tuesday..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

There is too much competition now from other company's. Look how often they change designs. And bring out different phones. Apple only has 2. One design being 3 years old.
    They will have to change the design for the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

Do people really buy phones based on their designs these days? Would have thought its software would be of more importance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Brian017 wrote: »
    Do people really buy phones based on their designs these days? Would have thought its software would be of more importance

It is the most important factor, yes. But if it looks exactly like an older model, those who would by a product for the "status" of it would almost certainly look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

thumbs-up-iphone-4-case-478x369.jpg

Would you buy this phone if it had a quad core with 4GB of ram and 100GB of flash memory? Design makes a boat load of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

i would say that design and image are the main reasons why most apple users buy apple products.

most apple users wouldnt have a clue about software or specs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

James. wrote: »
    i would say that design and image are the main reasons why most apple users buy apple products.

Thank you

Hit the nail right on the head there, surely Apple know this better than everyone else. Put it this way, iphone sales sky rocketed when the iphone 4 was released, now a lot of people would say this was because of it being available in more places and on more carriers, however, presumably, it was a lot of 3G user first upgrade in two years, remember there was no real visual difference between the 3G and 3GS, just a thought..

All of the other main phone makers release new designs for their flagship models at most, every 12 months. What should make Apple different in this regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Doylers wrote: »

thumbs-up-iphone-4-case-478x369.jpg

Would you buy this phone if it had a quad core with 4GB of ram and 100GB of flash memory? Design makes a boat load of difference.
    I would yeh, as that's essentially an iPhone 4 in a silly looking case :pac:

iPhone 4 with 4gb of ram and 100gb of flash would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I've had every iPhone so far and have to say I would be highly pi**ed off if they brought out a cheaper iphone 4.
    I normally sell my old phone to subsidise my new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

sham69 wrote: »
    I've had every iPhone so far and have to say I would be highly pi**ed off if they brought out a cheaper iphone 4.
    I normally sell my old phone to subsidise my new one.

ah yes.but you can be guaranteed that it won't have a rentina display, possibly no gps chip and maybe only in a 16gb format.
    The iphone 4 should lie in a midpoint between the 4s and the 5..in theory ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Fingers crossed.
    I bought it sim free from apple so cost a packet.
    Looking forward to tomorrow to see what's actually going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newme2006

i thought the weekend would at least keep my anticipation at bay.. but it hasnt.

i, like a lot of others will be fairly pi**ed off with so much hype for a 4s.. at this stage its an old design.. to think that it is going to look the same after all this time is a little depressing.. for those who say looks arent important.. they are liars!.. :) must get a count down going or something..

its funny, there didnt seem to be as much hype on the foot of the rest of the iphones, and in a deeper recession we are now, people are all lining up with their money in their pocket! :) love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    ah yes.but you can be guaranteed that it won't have a rentina display, possibly no gps chip and maybe only in a 16gb format.
    The iphone 4 should lie in a midpoint between the 4s and the 5..in theory ;)

There's not a hope they'll take out gps or the retina display on a budget 4. They might use the touch's cheaper display. Still can't see them offering anything other than 8gb on their budget offering, especially if there isn't a redesign.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

so for those who would be so dissapointed if there isnt a new form factor...

if Apple released 2 models:

1)a new sexy form factor but exactly the same internal parts (ie. no increased speed or camera etc)

2)the same iphone 4 form factor but with increased speed and 8mp camera

which would you buy if they were both same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

so for those who would be so dissapointed if there isnt a new form factor...

if Apple released 2 models:

1)a new sexy form factor but exactly the same internal parts (ie. no increased speed or camera etc)

2)the same iphone 4 form factor but with increased speed and 8mp camera

which would you buy if they were both same price?

There is no universe that this would happen. Just for the craic, let's say it does.

I'll just keep my iPhone 4 until Apple releases a new design and hardware.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

James. wrote: »

I'd say that's nonsense.

You don't have to have a clue about software to appreciate a really, slick, easy to use operating system, on the best screen in the market. That's what makes iPhones sticky to customers and makes non-owners who try one in the pub want one too.

Image used to be a factor, no doubt, but now iPhones are so ubiquitous it's just not a big deal anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

If it's only a slightly better version of iPhone 4 then I think illl be heading to the apple store in Belfast and hang on to my upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There is no universe that this would happen.

I wouldn't be massively surprised. Think of the iPhone 4 as the Macbook Pro. Top of the range, all the latest specs and features. It's not inconceivable that Apple could release a new iPhone, analogous to the vanilla Macbook or Macbook Air: a cheaper phone with slightly less features, but perhaps also thinner and lighter.

We could end up with both:

iPhone 4S: Same design as the iPhone 4, but with faster processor, more RAM, better camera.
    iPhone 'Air': Same or similar specs to current iPhone 4, but in a smaller form factor, and cheaper.

At the end of the day, it's increasingly harder to have your cake and eat it: if you want to improve the specs, you're going to struggle to slim down the phone's dimensions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wouldn't be massively surprised. Think of the iPhone 4 as the Macbook Pro. Top of the range, all the latest specs and features. It's not inconceivable that Apple could release a new iPhone, analogous to the vanilla Macbook or Macbook Air: a cheaper phone with slightly less features, but perhaps also thinner and lighter.

We could end up with both:

iPhone 4S: Same design as the iPhone 4, but with faster processor, more RAM, better camera.
    iPhone 'Air': Same or similar specs to current iPhone 4, but in a smaller form factor, and cheaper.

At the end of the day, it's increasingly harder to have your cake and eat it: if you want to improve the specs, you're going to struggle to slim down the phone's dimensions.

I'm not sure what Apple does with its MacBook range and phone range can be compared.

Each product they build has a key demograph and they know what pleases (most people). I dont see it being two phones but I'm not sure if it will be a 4s or 5.

Hopefully just a 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

http://shop.vodafone.de/Shop/zubehoer/apple-iphone-4-bumper-weiss/

Click on this link..its for vodafone Germany. It will bring you to the accessories page, ( white bumper), then click the drop down menu which shows what products the bumper is compatible with...its lists the iphone 4 and the iphone 4s..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Click on this link..its for vodafone Germany. It will bring you to the accessories page, ( white bumper), then click the drop down menu which shows what products the bumper is compatible with...its lists the iphone 4 and the iphone 4s..
    But the operators don't have this information. If they did, then there would be leaks all over the place.

I imagine these are placeholder names they've put in there until the announcement tomorrow, in case someone is shopping for a case and asking, "Will this be compatible with the new iPhone"?

seamus wrote: »
    But the operators don't have this information. If they did, then there would be leaks all over the place.

I imagine these are placeholder names they've put in there until the announcement tomorrow, in case someone is shopping for a case and asking, "Will this be compatible with the new iPhone"?

Yeah, but what is the point in having a placeholder name for the new iphone if they don't know if it is compatible with the iph4 bumper?

The way it is now, are voda not basically implying that the bumber for the iphone4 will be compatible with the new iphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Vodafone Germany are. Maybe it's a mischievous web developer? :)

If you look at that list, basically what it's saying is that the next iPhone will be the exact same form factor as the iPhone 4, except in 16 - 64GB versions, along with a new 8GB iPhone 4.

Or, one new phone - the 64GB along with a slightly quicker hardware.

I don't buy it. They could have released that 6 months ago. Such a petty upgrade would be the beginning of the end for iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

It's going to be announced tomorrow 4th of October.

Does anyone know the time the announcment will be? I'd love to watch it live or at least have an idea when I can expext to see it on youtube or their website.

Green Mile wrote: »
    It's going to be announced tomorrow 4th of October.

Does anyone know the time the announcment will be? I'd love to watch it live or at least have an idea when I can expext to see it on youtube or their website.

usually 6pm our time, with live twitter feeds etc...it will be a few hours later before the video will be uploaded to the apple website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

so theres no iphone 5 this year :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement